SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

A full-gut remod...refinement.

palimpsest
9 years ago

I am essentially in the midst of a near-gut remodel. The only plumbing that is original is the very end of the sewer line that goes out of the house, and a portion of the roof drain.

I just had the HVAC guys here, and I have a new furnace, a new air conditioner, and probably 85% new ductwork.

Any electrical that is accessible, which is probably going to be essentially all of it--will be replaced.

All new windows and doors are on the list, and there probably won't be an original piece of baseboard or casing in the entire house.

Both upstairs bathrooms (already gone) and the kitchen will be gutted.

So what is the end point of all this? The house is going to look like it could have when it was built 50 years ago.

The kitchen is getting 33" bigger. One of the upstairs bathrooms is getting 14" bigger. (And the other is getting 14" smaller.) The toilet moved all of 4" in bath #1. In one bedroom the closets are moving from north to south.

That bathroom and the kitchen will be laid out exactly the same, just a little bigger. There is no better way to do it.

What's going to happen is that some people will walk in and say "wow! you didn't have to do very much, did you? It's all so intact!"

Here are various supplies and returns all done in flat oval duct so there wouldn't have to be chases and soffits all over. This wall is plaster on concrete. On the other side of this is another house. The wall to the left has glass starting 7-1/2" from the corner. Creative framing to follow. The flat wall had to be replaced with a flat wall . Probably in 2015 this will get covered up.

Comments (11)