SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jml248

It Has Begun (the DIY kitchen gut/remodel)

jml248
7 years ago

Just wanted to share, we have (with much help and reading from these forums) finally!!!! begun clearing and gutting for our kitchen remodel. It's been a long journey, we are doing a full live in renovation/remodel. We have just about finished our full bathroom remodel, but we are on the clock to get our structural modifications completed (windows etc.) before NY fall/winter hits, so ready or not, it's kitchen remodel time!

What you see is our mudroom/laundry room. We have to redo this area first, since the wall will be removed and the tile flooring will transition right into the kitchen. Also, I'm not entirely confident in the existing floor joists (circa 1890). Overall, the house is fairly structurally sound, but the previous owners have really abused it (original flooring is shot, they cut through a lot of the original flooring, a lot of 'holy crap, what did you do?"

You can see the floor joists above, where we recently finished an addition last summer. We are shooting for Thanksgiving, which is probably outrageous, but we are finally hitting our DIYer rhythm, hahaha.

The wall behind the stove will be coming out and the kitchen expanded into the old bathroom behind that wall.

This is the most exciting part of our renovations thus far!!!! I'm excited to have a functional kitchen (and entry way not littered with construction detris) and this will also put us past the 50% completion for our home remodel!

Sorry to gush, but most of the time I feel like I am slightly crazy for attempting this endeavor and you guys are among the few that really "get it".

I can't promise anything exciting or "pretty" for a while, but stay tuned for some cherry cabinetry with aux naturale soapstone in a contemporary slightly rustic style!

Comments (10)