SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

Demo Has Begun Finally! Pics

lmalm53
15 years ago

Well after about 2 months preparation, picking out appliances, granite, faucets, sinks... etc. the demo has finally begun! This is not a new kitchen from the ground up because I am keeping my original 19 year old cabinets, hardwood flooring, and subzero but everything else is being replaced or upgraded. This remodel is also going to include my laundry, powder room and sunroom areas which connect to the kitchen. My new double oven and microwave were installed last month and are coming in handy for cooking meals during the demo.

I do not have a GC but am blessed with a longtime neighbor and friend who I have hired to do the major remodel for me. He is a licensed electrician, carpenter and all around handyman. Tuesday was the start of demolition. We have accomplished the following in the last 4 days:

1. All countertops, sinks, faucets and cooktop have been removed.

2. New 50 amp and 20 amp circuits have been run to the island in preparation for my cooktop and vent system.

3. The large light box over the island has been removed. We will be adding 5 new can lights in the kitchen plus 2 pendant lights over the island. Can lights are on order, I still have to decide on the pendant fixtures.

4. I have ordered my low voltage undercabinet lighting system and should have that ready for install next week.

5. All new sinks, faucets, cooktop and vent system parts were delivered to the house on Wednesday.

6. Granite fabricators were here yesterday measuring and making the templates. They took all the sinks with them. If they are on schedule they should be ready to install the granite the week of the 23rd.

7. I am currently stripping wallpaper in all the areas to be remodeled in phase one of the whole house remodel.

I just ordered the Tapmaster today. Still have to order a hot water dispenser, pick out the backsplash tiles and have not decided on paint colors yet. After anticipating this for so long it is so nice to finally see changes happening and progress being made. I am SO glad I found this site a month ago...wish it had been sooner but I have already benefited greatly from the advice, experience and input from the members here. Here's a few pics.

Here is the kitchen on Monday, day before the demo began. I had already begun stripping wallpaper so most of the blue floral border is gone.

Kitchen 4 days later on Friday. Note the island lightbox is GONE! Thanks for everyone who convinced me it needed to go. It has really opened up the feel of the room.

Granite templates were done yesterday.

Laundry room is getting a makeover also! I love my window... time for updated counters and colors.

Still have to scrape the wallpaper backing off but I sorta like the color! May have to do a nice bright yellow paint or similar in this room.

The wet bar area in the greatroom. Only doing the new counterop, sink and faucets in this room for now. Whole room is slated for the phase 2 remodel later in the year.

Here is my temporary cooking station. Other essentials are stored in the walk-in pantry.

And finally my new Thermador Induction Cooktop! Just arrived Wednesday and I just had to take a peak!

Sorry for the long post...but can you tell I'm excited? :)

Comments (8)