SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzz1016

Cottage gut and addition- staircase placement

lizzz1016
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi All-

My husband and I are beginning the demo of my in-laws 1 floor approx 800 sq ft cottage. We are doing a full gut of the first floor (main living area ) and adding a second story (2 baths and 3 bedrooms, plus laundry.) It will be ourselves, our 2 kids ages 4 and 5 and our dog(s) moving in.

The main issue we're having with our architects first design is the stair placement (we feel open stairs are a waste of space if we are trying to maximize the kids bedrooms upstairs.) It seems like a staircase along the back right side of the house would work better.

In addition, the seasonal lake view is out back so we feel the master should be there. The front view is of a bank owned property that will or will not get sold while we are living there (planning on staying 2-3 years to save some $ before we move.)

The existing first floor full bath is being changed to a powder room. He said it would save us money to stack the bathrooms. But the way I see it, this really limits the placement/square footage of the bedrooms. Would moving the plumbing around upstairs really cost that much money?

We definitely do not need a walk in closet and I can probably live with a smaller laundry room (definitely don't need a slop sink.)

FYI- the TV room/den and mudroom downstairs are an existing addition whose foundation would not sustain a second floor. So we cant add on to them upstairs.

We will be adding a wall of windows in the dining room and maybe 1 back to the kitchen. For more reference, there is a house directly to the left, outside the kitchen wall. probably about 15 feet away. The right side of the house is a fairly private side yard area.

Additional photos in comments.

Thanks for reading and we truly appreciate any feedback that anyone can provide!

Comments (85)