SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

E.stand is back together. Adjust and help with art please...

User
13 years ago

It's moved. I have a bazillion other things to do but DH was in the right mood. Ha, it started out fine and we quickly remembered what a pain it is. . . it's probably going to stay together. I actually feel better already. There was way too much stuff in the room and I was feeling smothered.

The web chair is going to go in the foyer corner.

{{gwi:1768694}}

Before: I know you all saw the thread and shuttered. :)

{{gwi:1649434}}

{{gwi:1765961}}

Now:

I can't move the wing chair up too much more because of keeping it square with the couch.

{{gwi:1618586}}

{{gwi:1768695}}

I did bump the loveseat down a little.

{{gwi:1768697}}

{{gwi:1655053}}

{{gwi:1610628}}

{{gwi:1768698}}

See, we don't use the furniture anyhow. ;)

{{gwi:1768699}}

{{gwi:1768700}}

It might look like there's a bunch of open floor space but really I think it's fine. There's a nice big open walk space from doorway to doorway. The seating kind of has it's own space.

1.What do you think now? Thoughts please.

2.Remove the column/fern and replace with a floor lamp? Leave it bare?

3.Not sure where to put the cat bed and scratching post.

4.What about maybe getting rid of the half table and replacing it with something more substantial and less leggy? My sister loves that table so I'd still get to look at it.

5.Maybe get a leather ottoman and call it a day? Maybe something skirted would be better. Less legs. I'd like something I can put my feet on.

ART:

Once we get the arrangement down I need to adjust the art.

6.Maybe flank the two flower pictures beside the window, on the sides of the stand?

**Please remember** I have out of state relatives coming Wed. evening. I know they don't care what my house looks like but I do.

After we moved it all I realized I have a very big problem come Christmas! Where am I going to put my, of course huge, tree?

{{gwi:1465621}}

And I'll worry about that later. :)

Comments (44)

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Much better. Sometimes it takes awhile for things to gel. Try putting the fern in the corner between the loveseat and the EC. It looks like you could also pull out the sofa a bit further away from the wall. Toss the red throw over the top of the wingchair to bring a splash of color up higher since the wall color and chair color are similar. Even though you don't have full on view of TV from the sofa, it's a prime spot if someone likes to lay on the sofa and watch!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just realized I only took a chair and small end table out of the room but it seems like there's a lot less.

Moved the fern a bit, adjusted the red throw (that's a cat hair magnet so I'm not sure what to do there. Should probably buy a machine washable one.), and moved the sofa out from the window a few more inches.

Should I move the art that's flanking the windows to the sides of the e.stand?

How about the picture above the loveseat? Just center it or move it to the back wall where the wing chair's at?

{{gwi:1768701}}
    {{gwi:1768702}}
    {{gwi:1635640}}

• Related Discussions

Those with Craft-Art walnut butcher blocks- please help!

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks capegirl for your response. Yes, it is smooth on the side that I've shown and has a huge 1/3" wide x 15" long gap on the back side, so am assuming that is the back! It was not labelled as such. Interestingly, the back has only a couple of knots that aren't as prominent, but they aren't filled either and have good sized gaps in them. The top is smooth and actually quite beautiful. It just looks rustic to me, and all my friends think it's rustic looking too. ARGH! The final piece and I just wanted it to be like the picture on the website! And yes, so far Craft-Art has had good customer service. I'm still emailing photos, so keep your fingers crossed......
    ...See More

Art Prints On Sofa Wall - Close Together - Getting them Level

Q

Comments (25)
    western pa luann - I'm starting to prefer the trunks in the center, too. Thank you for your response. maryanne3 and rob333 - Thanks for letting me know about using two hooks per print. For these 27" prints, how far apart should the two hooks be? graywings - another good suggestion from you! I could forget about using the wires and use one sawtooth hanger at the top. You are correct that these canvas prints are MUCH lighter than prints in a regular frame with glass. These 27" prints weigh about 4 lbs. each. Thank you for the pic and for the link. If I go this route, I'll probably want to get the large size. robin4444 - Thanks for the pic of the abstract print in your living room. I love your bookshelves, fireplace, and the way the colors in the print pick up the colors in your room. Whether I end up doing a shelf or hanging, I can see the value of being able to swap the tree prints depending on what mood makes me feel best. I do wonder what the artist intended. These prints were not sold as a "set". There was no photo example of them together on the site I purchased from. The print with the trunks on the left is titled Golden Birch I With Blue Sky. The print with the trunks on the right is titled Golden Birch II With Blue Sky. If using "the way we would sequence and read" thought...one could say that the print titled with I should be on the left side. Print titled II should be on the right side. If hanging them with that logic, it would put the tree trunks on the outside. But sometimes logic needs to be set aside and how one feels relating to art should be the guide. I feel like trying to contact the artist James Wiens. Is that possible? I'm so curious, now. Lilylore - I like the way you describe how each orientation makes you feel. Trunks inside - disturbing, interesting, possibilities. Trunks outside - resolved, calming, charming. Thank you, as always, for your thoughtful insights.
    ...See More

The art consultant sent me a proposal for art in my living room! WDYT?

Q

Comments (65)
    This OP has posted several dilemmas lately. I started reading this one from the onset and yes, there are several of the more critical posts missing. She clearly was happy about the selections and appeared to want validation from the people that had helped her with her other dilemmas. One of the first comments on my first dilemma on here was devastating to me and left me very upset. Fortunately, I have a thick skin and just flagged it and then along came some wonderful people to help me. Sometimes certain contributors just go too far. I’ve seen many OPs run off from this forum, but this is the first I’ve seen someone completely delete their account. THINK before you comment people! You could make or break someone’s day with your words
    ...See More

HELP!!! Art work placement plus Entryway console

Q

Comments (33)
    I have no help to add about the art but I do love the colorful rug @celery showed I the last post. Something dramatic with that gorgeous green in it will tie the room together. Your dining table is stunning! And the green chairs are a happy surprise ( most dining rooms have all chairs the same).
    ...See More
  • loribee
    13 years ago

Guess what...I absolutely love it.
    Can we center the print over the loveseat???
    YES to a big ottoman~~ check Homegoods or TJ Maxx.

Are you happy? Do you love it this way?

• ctlane
    13 years ago

New arrangement is great. Just need 1 pic above the wing chair and table area, something on either side of the EC and a centered pic above the loveseat and call it a day. It looks like you can breathe better in there now even though you only removed two things.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like it much, much better this way. I guess I needed to be willing to part with some things in the room and be ok with not being directly across from the tv. The problem started with discovering CL. Bought the e.stand, wing chair, kept buying more and more tables and chairs and wanted to make it all fit.

Looking again last night, I realized I moved out the tall wood plant stand also. So there's three. It still feels like much more than that.

To get rid of either the couch or loveseat isn't really practical for seating unless we replaced it with two chairs. I'd like to not be so matchy with the two but for now we're going to keep them.

Do you think a leather or skirted ottoman? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Think I should replace the half table with something a wee bit more substantial? I just realized I didn't post any pics showing that whole area there with the new picture hanging. I'll be back in a bit.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

It does look better. The wall unit is meant for that wall.

I still think you should just try the couch facing it though. You have very traditional furniture, and that is a very traditional arrangement, and I think(?) it would fit the shape of the room nicely, and it's very functional for tv watching or conversation. You could use the wing chair and web chair as side chairs. That's seating for 5. You have seating for 6 now. The pic of your hubby lying on the floor makes me think the current seating arrangement is not comfortable for tv watching.

With that arrangement, you could also put a table behind the couch that could either be just a sofa table, or you could use it as a desk.

I'm going to shut up now. :)

• natal
    13 years ago

Looks good, but what's important is that you're happy with it.

4.What about maybe getting rid of the half table and replacing it with something more substantial and less leggy?

Is that the one between the sofa and wing chair? If so, my vote is yes. You definitely need something shorter there.

In the foyer I would swap out the spider chair with the console table if the table fits there. Otherwise put one of your plant stands in that spot.

At Christmas you could move the wing chair to the corner near the foyer and place the tree in its place.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bungalow - Oh, he's always been content on the floor even as a kid I hear. I'll never understand that. He's honestly been using the furniture more than the floor lately which is a plus. :)

I'll try it. Before we had the stand back together on the main wall I was pushing and pulling things around. For viewing tv and relaxing, if company was over and we were watching TV the web chair doesn't scream pick me I'm comfy. I've sat in it for conversation but ... I also think it's going to look very dwarfed beside the long couch. Another concern with floating the end tables is the cords for the lamps.

I casually mentioned getting rid of the loveseat tonight and with time, I could probably convince him. He's just one of those guys who feels if something is relativly new and perfectly fine, why the need to replace it? He misunderstands tweaking a room (because I bought too much stuff before having a plan) for never satisfied with the materialistic stuff. Assuming I got rid of the loveseat and bought a leather club chair in place of the web chair, the couch is so long and being where it would need to be in the room, I don't think you could line the other chairs up right with it because of that doorway to the left when you're facing the room. I also think the couch would almost be in line with that door opening and look odd? This is challenging to explain. I personally would rather have something in front of the tv. I watch little tv but I don't like turning my head.

Natal - I like it much better than the old way(s). It's not the very best set up for viewing the tv but I feel the room is less cluttered, more balanced and fine for conversation so I'm willing to deal with that for now.

This was the half table I was talking about. Here's the picture I got on the wall that was the start of my other thread.
    {{gwi:1635628}}
    I like the end table and didn't really notice how tall it was between the chairs until you mentioned it. Not it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

When you say console table are you talking about the half table or the big table between the wing chair and sofa? The half table would just fit in the corner of the foyer but on the other side of the doorway (right at the front door) is the buffet. Almost anything flat against that wall with a surface seems to be overkill. I could do the plant stand but I have a large arrangement on the buffet and it was mentioned that's too much also. I could find something else for the buffet.... then I need a home for the spider chair. LOL only so much of this stuff is going to fit in the new office downstairs.

That sounds like a good plan for Christmas time.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

I like it, Shee. It looks very nice. If you gave your sister the half table (or could you use it as a nightstand...can't remember how much room you had on the sides of your bed?) what about if you put in a nice looking console table/bookshelf and perhaps 2 upholstered ottomans underneath the console. Or you could use it for your laptop with a cool looking chair.

This is just a visual for a nice slim desk with some neat x designs. parsons chair or a iron chair?

Too bad we don't live closer...my leather ottoman would work !

Smiles:)

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

We were posting at the same time....

IF you used the loveseat somewhere else or sold it on CL - IF and only IF. I totally understand your DH - it's not like money grows on trees and you have a great place!! Use the wingback chair where your loveseat is currently with a side table & lamp angled back facing the sofa. Club chair or even a super comfy nice looking leather recliner (gosh, my dad had an awesome one - it was a wall hugger so you didn't have to have space behind it - very nice looking tailored leather with nailhead trim) where the wingback is currently. Keep the print over the loveseat where it is. Use the one with the darker frame on the wall where the wingback is. The small corner where the half table is now....leave it along until you figure out what you want to do there.

Again, just a visual for a recliner that doesn't need room behind it (we called it a wall hugger(
    {{gwi:1768704}} I think this is a barcalounger but I think his was maybe a clayton & marcus?

Clear as mud??!! Hee hee

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Scooby - I LOVE your leather ottoman. Seriously, I just adore your whole house.

I'm not sure if it will fit as a night stand.. might be too wide but I'll check it out. We finally have a new mattress but we'll have to wait until Oct. to get the WA iron head/foot board.

"console table/bookshelf and perhaps 2 upholstered ottomans underneath the console"
    Kind of like a hutch type thing? I can't picture this. Would the ottomans go under there as their storage place?

I do have a parson chair someone gave me. I would need to recover it. The fabric is pretty but very shabby chic. I was thinking of using it as the desk chair in the office.

Here's a better shot of the art above the half table.
    {{gwi:1768705}}
    Also here's a picture of the plant stand in the foyer corner. It does add height. It's just a greenery base and I was changing out the flower seasonally. I have no idea if the flowers I have in there bloom this time of year or not. :) They looked summer like to me. I'd like to get better at that though.

Please ignore that girl picture in the corner. Need to take it down.
    Web chair in the corner or tall plant stand.
    {{gwi:1768706}}
    {{gwi:1588009}}

I think my buffet looks odd now.
    {{gwi:1768707}}

Hehe, DH just asked me if I was looking up how to clean. Remember that's what I was working on because of company coming tomorrow.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

Sorry if I'm late to the discussion considering your company is coming tomorrow. I certainly like the way that it looks but I'm concerned about the functionality. It appears that only people on the sofa and side chair can talk to each other and cannot talk with the people on the sofa all the way across the room unless they raise their voices. If this is your main place to watch tv, then it's unfortunate that you can only watch it head on from the wing chair.
    I ditto suggestions for putting the sofa across the entertainment center, with perhaps a sofa table on the back of it.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Wait a sec....bungalow house & htnspz---
    are you suggesting she should ignore the doors, windows, etc...and just float the furniture?
    Couch across from the ec, with a sofa table in the back, loveseat and chair completing the u shape???
    I wonder if that would work and how it would look???

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

Hi Sheesharee,
    I feel your pain. I have been following your struggle with this room. Having struggled myself for years with furniture placement didn't feel my I had anything worth while to add. However, I have to agree with bungalow house & htnspz. Although I think the room looks nice with this new arrangement, I think it would be difficult to watch TV, and socialize. This might be ridiculous but- maybe the chairs, small tables,pics and plants are distracting. Have you tried clearing the room and dealing with the couches only? I would try my very best to get either the love seat or the sofa infront of the EC. I really like the idea of a sofa table behind it.
    Hope this helps and doesn't hurt ;)

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I have to agree with homebodymom. Remove everything EXCEPT the pieces you need most like sofa and loveseat. Then work things back in slowly. Figure out what you need most. For instance, once you have the seating, work in end tables and lamps. I also think some of the problem is your pictures are deceiving in that it looks like you have more room than you actually do, throwing things off for some. If the loveseat was across from the EC at an L to the sofa, does that work or block the walkthrough? I know you've been through that arrangement, but I can't remember. If it works, then place a table with lamp between the sofa and loveseat. Go from there, but enjoy your company and have fun at the wedding first!We'll be here when you get back!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guess where I sat to view tv (for a few min. at a time off and on)? Wing chair. I like to be in front of the tv. I have no problem sitting in the comfy wing chair but I need an ottoman. I think the set up is ok for conversation, could be better obviously, but works. You can only see part of the tv from the loveseat so that's an issue.

You guys really think my room is wide enough to float the furniture? I really like how open the room feels. When company is gone I will take some photos with the sofa in the middle but I think it's just going to be too long and right in line with the doorway. Loveseat would fit straight across but that's one less seat for people. We're working on the basement and DH will have his man room but wants a sectional.

Homebodymom - No, your suggestions aren't ridiculous. I originally started with only the sofa and loveseat and then discovered CL. The next thing we bought was the e.stand. I didn't have enough to work with and then went crazy on CL. The only thing with the sofa table idea and floating tables is again, the lamp/cord issue.

Kmcg - I agree I need to go back to the seating first then add things in. You hit the nail on the head when you said the photos are deceiving with the amount of space I'm working with. The room is 15' x 18'. The couch and loveseat are longer than the norm.

"If the loveseat was across from the EC at an L to the sofa, does that work or block the walkthrough?"
    Hmmm... I think I can do that without blocking the walkthrough. Visually it will go out into the doorway area but there should be plenty of room to move around. I did have it that way before (when the e.stand was broke up) but I pushed the couch towards the main wall which will then make it off center with the window. I think I did that because there wasn't much space between the loveseat and bookends of the e.stand. But since that's not there now. ... I'll look at that tonight.

I centered the picture over the loveseat last night and added a bunch more holes in the wall. :) I was thinking I should stack the English prints since the loveseat is heavy than the web chair and small table was. I'm going to stop messing with pictures now until I get the seating arrangement in order.

Going to be a hot one Saturday for an outdoor wedding. I'm looking forward to everything going on in the next week!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Keep the sofa centered under the window. I remember when it was pushed down towards the wall and I think it throws the room off a bit. But, that's because I am VERY symetrical in my arrangement's. Might limit some people, but your layout is very traditional, so stick with that. It's ok if the loveseat comes out a bit as long as there is room to walk into the room easily. I really think it is your best bet. For conversation sake and balance, you can place the wing chair/table combo to the left of the EC, where you had the table/chair /print combo. A tall freestanding lamp can be at the other end of the sofa, closer to the EC to light that area.Hey, at least you'll have most of it set before company!

• natal
    13 years ago

"If the loveseat was across from the EC at an L to the sofa, does that work or block the walkthrough?"

That was my suggestion on the previous thread.

I still think the sofa needs to be centered at the window. In every picture where it's not it throws everything off. The love seat is too small for that area. Remove the sofa end table, move the sofa so it's centered and then place the love seat where the sofa is now. Put the end table at the end of the sofa closest to the entertainment center. Put a floor lamp between the sofa and loveseat.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

I said I was going to shut up but I lied.

I still think the sofa needs to be centered at the window. In every picture where it's not it throws everything off. This is one of the reasons I suggest floating the sofa opposite the EC. The window and tv are fighting each other for that sofa. Getting the sofa away from the window wall frees it up to put it where it's comfortable for watching.

shee, if you can float the sofa, you will not need end tables (and lamps) floating. You won't necessarily need end tables at all for the sofa, but if you do, it can be one by the window end where a lamp cord will not be an issue. The lamp tables could go by your side chairs as an alternative. You probably will need an end table, though, for drinks and stuff.

The only other layout I can think of is sofa floating facing the window with chairs in front of the window and EC on one of the end walls, but it doesn't appear there is enough room for that?

It took me 2 years to figure out the furniture arrangement in my living room. I have French doors and it wasn't until I gave up the idea of leaving room for them to swing that I was able to find something that functioned well and looked good. It still makes me smile when I walk in there and see how almost-perfect it is. :) Sometimes we have to be willing to let go of something that is stuck in our heads, like using all our existing pieces. I know how frustrating it is, but keep coming back to it when you have the mental energy, you WILL figure it out.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

Sorry, meant to say you will probably need a coffee table for drinks and stuff.

• natal
    13 years ago

This is one of the reasons I suggest floating the sofa opposite the EC.

Bungalow, look at Shee's 3rd pic. That's the way she had it before the current set up. The sofa is too big to float, but the loveseat isn't.

• calirose
    13 years ago

With the entertainment center where it is, the easiest solution would be to swap the love seat with the wing chair.
    Add a large ottomon or coffee table.

Personally if it fit, I would have put the ET ctr on the now love seat wall, then placed the love seat and sofa in an L in that corner. Where the wing chair is, I would have added a second chair with table in between for a reading area or game area.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal - Sorry, I read that wrong in the other thread. I'll take pics of both the loveseat and couch in front of the e.stand. I wish my camera had a wide angle.

Bungalow - Ha, you're allowed to keep talking. Yeah, I'll need an end table some place near the sofa/loveseat because it gets used pretty heavily. I'd really like to an ottoman for my feet instead of a coffee table. I know you can gets trays for drinks on the ottoman but feet and drinks at the same location seem like bad idea to me.

"The only other layout I can think of is sofa floating facing the window with chairs in front of the window and EC on one of the end walls, but it doesn't appear there is enough room for that?"
    The sofa floating facing the window I think would look really odd from the side entrance into the room. But heck, I'll try it. The EC won't fit on any of the other walls when all together. The crown at the top makes it too wide. The only place the bookends fit side by side (because of the crown) is where they were when I started this thread on the back wall to the left and the current loveseat wall.
    Thanks for the pep talk. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is bonkers over their furniture arrangement.

Calirose - That was talked about at one time. The tv jack isn't on that wall but I considered having it moved. I could maybe use the bookends in our office we're working on. I need to measure before we'd attempt that. But that set up with the furniture in an L, something will still stick out across probably half the window. Or if I placed the sofa still centered on the window the loveseat would be off center on the main wall.

Let's pretend the only furniture I owned was the e.stand together on that main wall. What would you buy for the arrangement? Smaller sofa or loveseat in front of EC and two club chairs in front of the window?

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

How about switching the pictures over the half table and the love seat? I think the picture over the love seat needs a heftier frame and I notice the picture over the half table has one.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

Let's pretend the only furniture I owned was the e.stand together on that main wall. What would you buy for the arrangement? Smaller sofa or loveseat in front of EC and two club chairs in front of the window?

For the floating scenario? I wouldn't buy anything new, just use whatever you have (sofa or loveseat) that fits best and your 2 chairs. Later, once you know you're happy with the arrangement, only then would I invest in new pieces. I will add that if the sofa works at all, I would stick with it over the loveseat. There's nothing worse than wanting to stretch out and take a nap, or if you're sick and just want to lie down somewhere other than the bedroom, and being on a too-short loveseat. A loveseat is all that fits in my small living room, so I speak from experience. :(

• calirose
    13 years ago

The tv outlet doesn't need moved, you can run the cable below the baseboard. I would look more to what made the room comfortable rather than having everything squared up.
    But again, that is my personal preferance. A large piece of art to the left of the window would help balance it out.
    Also having 2 arrangements, the L sofa/LS to the left of the window, and the chairs to the right of the window, again balance the room.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Loveseat in front of the EC. I didn't bother to move around tables or anything else.
    {{gwi:1736419}}
    {{gwi:1768708}}
    {{gwi:1768709}}
    {{gwi:1690938}}
    {{gwi:1768710}}
    {{gwi:1768711}}
    {{gwi:1768712}}
    {{gwi:1768713}}

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sofa floated. At the narrowest point of the walk space between the sofa and half table is 27".
    {{gwi:1768714}}
    {{gwi:1768715}}
    {{gwi:1649084}}
    {{gwi:1768716}}
    href="http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii62/sheesharee/?action=view&current=019-13.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1768717}}
    {{gwi:1768718}}
    {{gwi:1649436}}
    {{gwi:1768719}}
    {{gwi:1768720}}

I'll be back with more pics..give me a min.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sofa floated with half table gone.
    {{gwi:1768721}}
    {{gwi:1768722}}
    {{gwi:1768724}}
    Half table moved.
    {{gwi:1768726}}
    {{gwi:1768727}}
    {{gwi:1768728}}
    {{gwi:1768729}}
    I actually like how the weight of the room seems more centered with the sofa floating but I don't know that the room is wide enough. It feels more cluttered again.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

What do you think of those? The loveseat fits better floating but then you've got that awkward space behind the loveseat, again because the window pushes everything too far back.

Are you willing to shove the loveseat or sofa out into the hall temporarily, so you are free to push the remaining loveseat or sofa closer to the EC? Your half-round table could then stay in it's original spot or go where your 2 display cabinets were a few days ago.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

BTW, it looks from the photos that you have good clearance with the sofa floating as long as there is no table near the end. Why is it that you don't want the sofa to line up with the kitchen doorway?

And why do I feel like the bystander yelling "Jump! Jump!" to the guy on the bridge? :)

• les917
    13 years ago

I know that you cant do it now, with company coming, but I would think about this for later. I dont think you are using the wall space in the room to your best advantage right now.

I would move the TV cabinet ONLY, no side pieces, to the wall where the two bookcases were before - at the end of the room, closest to the front hall.

Put the couch across the end wall where the EC is now, and place the two bookcases on either end of the wall.. Mount a shelf on the wall between the two bookcases to act as a sofa table, below the sight line of the back so that no one can see the shelf. That is the place for a pair of lamps and a collection of art or family pix on the wall.

Put the loveseat centered on the window, giving the feeling of an "L" arrangment, but not necessarily with the couch and loveseat at a right angle next to one another. Add an end table at the right side of the loveseat with a lamp.

Put the wing chair on the side wall to the right of the kitchen entry, and have a small table and lamp beside it and the one pix above it..

Have the larger demilune table with a lamp and pix above it on the wall to the right of the entry to the kitchen. Put Mr. Bushy Plant in that corner.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Wow.....you win the prize for having the most energy and willingness to move furniture!
    I bet your hubby hates us, lol.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ran out of time last night and had to do something fast. Currently the loveseat is the one in the middle. This is what it looks like today. I know my tables are too big and it's still not quite right but it's ok for right now. Until company leaves next week anyhow. ;)
    Looking at these, I feel like there's more space IRL behind the loveseat than what it looks like in these pics.
    {{gwi:1768730}}
    {{gwi:1768731}}
    {{gwi:1768732}}
    {{gwi:1768733}}
    {{gwi:1768734}}
    {{gwi:1768735}}
    {{gwi:1768736}}

Bungalow - Temporarily just to try the arrangement, right? It hardly fits out the door. I actually got white paint from the trim on the feet. :(
    The problem with the sofa in the middle is it's so darn long and awkward feeling because the room isn't wide enough. I wish you guys could be there with me through this.

Les - We talked about moving the stand to that wall once. I don't know how to move the tv jack. Can we somehow run it around the room? Either way, the electrician working on our basement has to come back later to hook up some lights so I had mentioned that to DH before.

The bookcases, together on one side of the wall with a shelf in the middle. At first, I was thinking you meant one on each end and a shelf the whole way across the wall, lol. The problem with the shelf is the crown at the top of the bookends is spit/angled because they're not meant to be side by side. I put trailing greenery in the middle and tried to cover the odd gap the way I had it set up before.
    Here's a couple shots so you can see what I mean.
    {{gwi:1768737}}
    {{gwi:1768738}}
    {{gwi:1768739}}
    "Put the wing chair on the side wall to the right of the kitchen entry, and have a small table and lamp beside it and the one pix above it..
    Have the larger demilune table with a lamp and pix above it on the wall to the right of the entry to the kitchen. Put Mr. Bushy Plant in that corner."

You said the right for both. I'm thinking you mean the wing chair in the smaller corner where the half table is currently? If so, both the wing chair and table won't fit well.
    {{gwi:1691443}}
    I think the couch is 9' something and the e.stand together is only 8'. Are you thinking the couch wouldn't have to be centered on that main wall but I'm not sure there's going to be too much room left for the bookends and a shelf. How long of a shelf do you mean? 3'? Which side of the room do you think the bookcases should go?

Lori - :) He actually doesn't say too much unless it involves him. He's normally pretty good about even that but every now and then I'll hear,"you really should stop talking to your friends on the gardenweb". LOL

I'll be at this some more next week.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lori, I think DH likes doing participating in stuff like this even more than moving furniture. ;)
    {{gwi:1707265}}
    Btw, they won't be going there.

So how much do you think it would cost to get rid of the opening to the kitchen area? I'm joking . . . kind of.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Shee.....you are so funny!! But just like me....I'm pondering removing the coat closet in my den & moving it to the little hall to my MB b/c I don't like having that big white door next to my sofa!! I'm sure i'll never do it, thou.

Enjoy your company and opening your lovely home to loved ones....that's truly what it's all about. We are all here (GW) b/c we probably think alot more than most people about our homes.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

FWIW, regarding the kitchen door, I have a similar path from my living room through the dining room into the kitchen. The only thing that seems to work in that spot for me is a tall bookcase, just 12" deep. It doesn't stick out in the path where you walk, and there is no sharp corner sticking out to bump into (important if you're going to have little ones running around there someday!).

Alternatively, there's no law saying you have to have a piece of furniture there at all...

• loribee
    13 years ago

Hmmm....I like the loveseat facing the ec. Anyone else?
    Live with this for a bit and see what you think-
    maybe you can try the Les arrangement later...
    ENJOY your company!

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

loribee, yes!

Say it with me: "Jump! Jump!"

• cat_tail
    13 years ago

I also really like it that way!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha! Bungalow I literally laughed out loud.

So are you guys talking about the photos from Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 10:17?

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I agree. Enjoy your company and see how it feels with this arrangement. In terms of minor tweaking, I'd adjust the angle of the wingchair so that it faces the sofa grouping and not the TV. It's not really a good spot to view the TV from that angle, but facing the sofa, it can then be part of the conversational grouping. I find a chair near an exit to the kitchen is a great spot for me--since I'm usually popping between the two areas to serve and socialize with my guests. Longer term, I do think an ottoman and perhaps an area rug layered on top of the carpet will help make it more cohesive; but I'd mock it up first with a cardboard box. I'd break up the E.C. as only a last resort. It's such a fine piece of furniture and focal point for the room. While it's not always possible to achieve symmetry in every room, you can strive to make it balanced--which can be just as interesting, just takes more time and thought.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm at work just so you guys don't think I'm ignoring my company. :) I took some time off next week so that should be fun.

I will adjust the wing chair.

I'll report back!

Thanks again for all your help!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wanted to report back about the room since I've lived with it for some time.

I really like it this way. I think it looks better IRL than these photos. Which is really true I don't know but what I'm seeing everyday is the better so that makes me happy. The chair facing the furniture works well too. I sat there plenty of times for chit chatting while company was over.

I'm finally at the point where I'm ok with getting a rug. The carpet is starting to look more worn in some areas, IMO, even though nobody seems to be able to see this. It will help ground the space more. When it's time to replace maybe we'll go with hardwood. I'm still on the fence since I like vacuuming carpet. :) I also want to get a leather ottoman.

Family and friends who've seen my house through all the stages like this arrangement.

Any other ideas before I call the main bones of the room good?

Stay tuned for a rug thread at some point. I'll do some mock ups but of course will want feedback on size and color.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus