SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pu299

The art consultant sent me a proposal for art in my living room! WDYT?

pu299
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Here's what the art consultant suggested for my living room. WDYT? I love it!

I'll post a pic of my current living room so you have an idea.

* I decided to have a designer make suggestions because I really, really don't enjoy the hunt for art work but I still wanted to be surrounded by pieces that were inviting. There's other parts of the home that I put my personal touch on but this was stressful to do on my own and to figure out the right scale for my space.

I'll be adding in some throw pillows, accessories and new light fixtures to warm up the space as well. See current living room photo below.

Comments (65)

• crystalpea
    6 years ago

I think the problem is even if they are not prints, the majority of the art the consultant has chosen looks like it would be mass produced and sold at Hobby Lobby. It sounds like you enjoy art, but if it is too stressful to pick it out yourself that's totally fine. However, I'd have the consultant try again.

That being said, if you truly love it then go for it and who cares what Houzz randos have to say. It is your home.

If you decide to go another route I've found some really beautiful original pieces at a fraction of the original price at consignment stores and antique markets. I found a 58x40 original painting that I basically got for free ($102... so not actually free, but still). It might be worth going exploring to get a deal on art that is one-of-a-kind that can be seen as conversation pieces.

pu299 thanked crystalpea
  • crystalpea
    6 years ago

I get being indecisive, that's how I feel about deciding on a meal ha.

Etsy is another place you could try, but I always feel online art purchases are a gamble because I like to see art in person. I typed in original art and there are tons of pieces at varying price ranges. For example, I just found this Texas artist via etsy when I was looking just now. May not be your style, but prices seem reasonable.

https://marendevineart.com/collections/original-paintings

pu299 thanked crystalpea
  • Related Discussions

Touring 'sunnysa' Irene and Doug's arts and crafts garden ...

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks BDW, we enjoy the porch, too. I always call it the 'porch' and DH corrects me. "It's not a porch... it's a deck!" Funny man.... but he built it so I 'let' him name it, lol. We spend a lot of our time sitting on the porch swing watching the cardinal and hummingbirds. I've attached a pic of our birdie having his breakfast this morning. I found the little chicks at the dollar store, only it's not a true dollar store. These cost me $1.29 for a mama chicken and four baby chicks. This post was edited by sunnysa on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:03
    ...See More

Some of my artwork

Q

Comments (19)
    Wow thanks everyone!! All are painted with oil except the three piece abstract. I have never had an art class and just picked up a brush one day. I have never sold a thing and gave the last piece to my uncle and aunt as a Christmas gift. I really do not think they liked it. They sent a thank you card and it said thank you basically. So... that made me feel sort of sad bc to be honest I wanted to keep it. My hubby begged me to keep it but I told him it was a gift and I had painted it for someone else. Maybe someday I will paint a ton more and try and sell them. Thanks again for the sweet words and positive comments!
    ...See More

Art Work - Too Small for Wall?

Q

Comments (60)
    Thanks everyone ... I appreciate all the help and compliments I received on this! The rug isn't new, but it was my 3rd try until I got it "right" You know I didn't even think to move the picture up a little, to cover the box, but I will definitely do that. Unfortunately my whole house needs to be rewired, so I will have many more of these type holes to patching paint!
    ...See More

Overwhelmed by my art!

Q

Comments (4690)
    Personally, I like the fridge where it currently is. It's tucked out of the direct sight line from the great room... and from the first impression when you enter from the main door. I think it would look more like "furniture" to have the counter-cabinetry flanking the stove/vent hood (set up like a hearth) and the fridge tucked neatly back out of the "wow wall" that the stove would be. Make sense? Plus, the fridge is in a more natural spot for a drink station. Creamer for coffee? Right there. Ice? Right there. Mixer? Right there. Store the glassware on wall w fridge, and it keeps that function of the kitchen separated. I hate having to barge into the cooking zone just to fix myself a drink... That is the set up I have here and it works so nicely. But that is just my opinion... :)
    ...See More
  • Patrick Blackmon (8a)
    6 years ago

Puppy - I agree with that entirely. Proportions will do as much or more for your walls as anything. I saw several places in fact in the pics you posted where certain pieces were put on the wrong walls. Or hanging them on a different wall would have been better to my eye.

Also, don't hang your art too high. 57-58" on center throughout your house.

pu299 thanked Patrick Blackmon (8a)
  • Patrick Blackmon (8a)
    6 years ago

Puppy - in the two flanking the fireplace, that's fine. But to my eye they both needed a big piece of furniture underneath to anchor them. Then you can accessorize the furniture with lamps, etc. to further ground and give context to the art on the walls.

In the two on either side of the big window, the placement seems off. I would center (or roughly center) each one between the edge of the drapes and the wall. Adjust as your eye sees it.

The two above the wainscoting - that wall is too small for both of them. I'm not sure they need to be grouped together at all.

My biggest complaint is that the four large pieces are too similar in size, color, use of blank space, frames, and subject matter. There is little reason to appreciate each one because the others look so much like it. There's no visual "break" in the room regarding art. There's no context and it doesn't look curated.

The way to solve this and to provide context and make it look curated is to:

1. Add something to it. For example, big furniture pieces left and right of fireplace. Put something in and/or on these pieces to provide context. In choosing, go with your heart and be fearless. Art is not something you hedge.

2. Take some of it away and hang it somewhere else in the house. That will unify the house, too, and spread out the love.

pu299 thanked Patrick Blackmon (8a)
  • pamelamacleod
    6 years ago
    I haven’t read all of the previous comments so I may be repeating. I don’t find the suggested art that much different from what you already have hanging. I find the suggested art, considering that it was professionally suggested, seems a little dull. I like the art that commenters posted much better. I personally prefer bold art that people actually look at instead of something generic that is basically ignored. There are many online sights where you can buy very reasonably priced art, such as Amazon, Society 6, great big art( something like that), and Esty.

Have fun with it and choose pieces that you really love. Have a look at Graphic Art, I find it really gives a punch.
  • pamelamacleod
    6 years ago
    Another place to check is Wayfair. There is a sale on right now.
    I have posted a picture of one that appeals to me.
  • hatetoshop
    6 years ago

It only matters that you are happy with consultant's suggestions. I think they're fine. They can serve as place holders while you, over the years, find and purchase art to replace them.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Plenty of people have other people choose art for them. Corporations have consultants to help choose art for esthetic and investment reasons.

People ask for help choosing generic art from places like Home Goods and such to match their curtains. I would say most people want something that goes and look at Real art in museums.

Not everyone has to have a deep emotional attachment to their artwork. You may not understand it if you do, but it's hardly something to scold or make fun of someone for.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 years ago

For me personally I have the opposite problem. If I had the budget I’d end up with art covering every inch of my house. But I understand if it’s not your thing. What if you do some of the art suggested and leave one area open for future pieces?

Also, almost anything can be art. I’m in the process right now of framing some tea towels I’ve acquired over the years. Do you have hobbies or activities you are involved in? Display something to do with that. Or a collection of some sort? I have a small collection of antique tole trays that I’m going to hang in my kitchen.

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

DD1 is fond of Gray Malin, and has several of his beautiful photographs. She gave one of his llama photographs to my grandson, kept a Prada piece and currently has a Navy Beach Montauk listed locally. His work is not inexpensive, but at least he does sales often.

What I am not fond of in your suggested art photos is the way they are hanging. Either too far apart, so that they don't connect, and that everything seems to be hanging like I'm at an art gallery. I don't feel a connection between the art and the rooms.

• rebecca_adia
    6 years ago

puppypuppypuppy: if you KNOW you love something (like the picks of your consultant) then don't hurt your heart by crowdsourcing opinions ;) .

[ however if you're not sure that you love it, then crowdsource away!]

I will say that I don't understand the hate for Minted that's shown up on this thread.it is an online site that carries accessible/affordable art, like many others that have been mentioned in this thread-- and like you puppypuppypuppy, I also love that they tend to carry work by emerging artists.

• Laurie Schrader
    6 years ago

puppy- I, too, have struggled with art. Laugh at me- I googled "art consultant" in Austin. Oh. My. Got directed to some very serious consultants who work with serious collectors. Gulp. Next!

The "pop up Prada store" photo is fascinating. I might suggest that you take a peek at Rob Greebon- TX photographer. Look at his galleries and you can find a lot of interesting things. Vibrant photos of Texas wildflowers all the way to black and white.Some fun things.

The only thing I don't know is what you consider "reasonable" for pricing, but you can find a lot here.

https://www.robgreebonphotography.com

For the Katz angle- perhaps google "Alex Katz reproductions". You'll find some places to explore even fine art prints that may be in your price point, especially if you love the art.

Good luck!

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I personally like my art to have some resonance but it may have some even if it's not technically good art or fine art.

And then sometimes I really like things that have a certain amount of emotional content, but then what do I do with it?

What do I do with the picture of my former building when it was being documented in case it was torn down? The site of my current house as a junkyard? They re interesting photos but where do you put them?

I will also have an issue with my 2 dozen Keane prints which went in the stairwell in my old place but there's not a lot of room to have 2 dozen faces staring at you in this house.

And what about the painting of a road-killed deer by an artist I know that I keep thinking about buying? Where do you put stuff like this?

I stick with decorative for the bedrooms but even my Japanese block prints aren't exactly restful.

So I think sometimes choosing by emotional content can be problematic too.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

"choosing by emotional content can be problematic too"-it sure can. I'd rather have this problem though. It doesnt mean that I'll find any solution any time easily. Maybe I'll never arrive at it. Maybe it'll be a compromise. But I ..well "like" not a right word..this thing can be painful..I prefer to think of it anyway. Try to figure it out.

I don't think consulting with an art consultant is bad even though I never tried myself. I have a book by one though. It really taught me more about modern art, for which I'm very grateful. I'm much more open to it. That's the whole other dimension out there that I start finally appreciating.

And yes, it's stressful. choosing. Maybe it shouldn't be only and always fun. The best things in our life come with a huge amount of stress, actually. Yet we still seek them.

So i wouldn't choose everything at once. Won't make it less stressful. well, at least not to me.

Together with that, I like all the suggestions of alternative sources etc. If nothing else-one can see so much cool art. That he wouldn't see otherwise. It doesn't matter, ultimately, whether it'll end up in their home. Maybe a piece or two will. But the experience'll stay. It's a bit like going to a museum, yes. To many museums. Not the same. But you still see much more than you'd see otherwise. It will slowly change one too. Very slowly. I have this uh..observation. Some of the best art(be it visual or not). It can be about death and darkness. It can be gloomy as hell. But if it's good enough-it'll bring life shining through too. It won't send your brain in the endless loop ..it'll be a kind of a tunnel. One emerges..

I feel it's off topic already for which I apologize(should make it my signature lol)

yet I do think about it all like that. Started with books, actually..books are very personal as well. Some, you want to share like crazy, to read out loud. Some, you keep your secret..you're a bit mad others know it too. Why? Who knows. But both types can be books-that-changed-one-profoundly. I wouldn't give up on any.

• hollybar
    6 years ago

Yes,dark and emotional art would be challenging to hang in one's home. But if an original Goya or Francis Bacon is in search of a good home,I promise to keep you in a prominent place and look at you every day.

...now back to the dilemma....

• deegw
    6 years ago

I find it easier to decorate my walls with things less fraught with expectations. Art! It's so serious!

Framed maps from places dear to our family. Prints from books. Small replicas of famous paintings from galleries we have visited. Framed fossil and shell displays. We have authentic antique signs but I am sad about them because signs have turned into a trend that jumped the shark long ago. I matted and framed a large piece of funky geometric wrapping paper that my MIL used to wrap our presents for years. The roll was enormous.

We have a few pieces of "good" art and things painted by friends and family.

I understand the need to just it get it done. But there is also something to be said for enjoying the hunt and thinking outside the box.

• PRO
    Color Zen
    6 years ago

Some love art as a personal statement, some love art as a component of decor. Both sides of the coin are lovely. A consultant comes in with a fresh set of eyes and gives you something you couldn't give yourself. Let me tell you from my own experience, this service provides great relief and joy. However, if you ask many people for feedback the whole things turns into a mess. So go with your gut & good for you for bringing in help :)

• swrite
    6 years ago
    Puppy: If you’re still there, please read this. It’s not a critical or unkind reply. I think the OP checked out & I don’t blame them. As someone who loves art, visits art galleries & shows whenever I can & has even had my own work juried into & exhibited in art shows, the responses here disturbed me. Puppy, I think there’s nothing wrong with how you’re sourcing your art. You already explained the hunt for art is overwhelming & doesn’t excite you. To me, the way you’re going about it makes sense for your situation & budget. You’ve already stated you’ve found other ways in other places to personalize your home. You’re just looking for some wall decor & some color, not investment pieces or the next Monet. As much as I love art, it is expensive & time consuming to procure the type of art most of the others are referring to here. And I‘m not really sure why local or not matters because if you went abroad and brought home an original piece from one of your travels, that would still be something personal to you and you’d still be supporting an artist’s livelihood. I think what matters more is that YOU truly like it, it makes YOU happy & resonates w/ you in some way, & it goes well with the vibe and colors and style of your home & your lifestyle.
  • loobab
    6 years ago

It seems that the poster that put up this thread has left Houzz.

She changed her Houzz name from puppypuppypuppy to pu299, and all her comments were removed from this and other threads, (don't know by whom) and when you click on the new name pu299 what you get is " The page you requested was not found."

• Carmen Beck
    6 years ago
    I love it!
  • loobab
    6 years ago

??

• Patrick Blackmon (8a)
    6 years ago

loobab- I see where pu299 has liked certain comments, but that's it. Wonder why the "likes" didn't disappear as well. Of more concern is why the OP left Houzz so soon. He or she and I were exchanging comments well into the late hours last night.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I've seen this happen too much lately. Someone posts an innocent question and a bunch of people jump in and start pontificating. Or they don't bother reading the thread and browbeat the poster about things explained up thread. I'd leave too.

It makes us all look like a bunch of vultures waiting in the trees for a chance to pick at a new poster.

• loobab
    6 years ago

I don't know either. Patrick, she replied to me as well.

d-gw - Sometimes there is a lot of vitriol on these threads. People type away at each other forgetting there is a human being with feelings reading what is being written.

At the same time, the people putting up a thread have to know that the people responding are not mind readers, or "heart"-readers either, and they can't know what the poster's sore spots are, priorities, finances, etc.

And when we comment we have our own priorities too.

Sometimes the photographs posted are not well taken, well lit, are not accompanied by measurements, Houzzers that respond can only go with what they see and what the poster said in the original paragraph that accompanied the photo or diagram.

Sometimes people take umbrage at a comment that I find not only informative and based on years of knowledge and experience (from someone I would hire in a nanosecond ) and uproarously funny.

And sometimes it has nothing to do with that.

Social media can be quite addicting, like a bag of potato chips, and it is hard to indulge in specified amounts and then "put it away." Some people have to quit "cold turkey" because it is taking up too much time or too much emotional energy.

• Laurie Schrader
    6 years ago

Although I'm sorry if the OP left, I didn't see a lot of vitriol. Strong opinions, perhaps- and one or two "why ask strangers", which is the oddest thing one can say to a post for help/advice, given that we are strangers too.

Basically, unless there are nasty posts hidden/deleted, this is the way it goes. I guess each person needs to decide how they would feel about either strong push-back or opinions. If it's not in your wheelhouse to take critique from strangers, then I suggest not posting on a forum full of strangers.

Best to the OP.

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

This is the reason I always try to be nice when posting. If I don't like something, instead of being so dang negative/mean/rude, I do not post at all. What is the point in hurting someone's feelings? I am not a bully, in person or on the internet. No one should be! Remember, we do not know what all is going on in someone else's life, and just maybe, being kind is the best thing that has happened to them that day... or in awhile. Be kind. It isn't hard.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Dear OP, Specialization is a good thing. It frees you to do what you do best. I think the art shown works well, except I am not fond of the arrangement above the mantle. I would get some ceramics up there and wait for something else to appear. There is enough going on with the bricks and you would have art flanking the fireplace, so that is good for now. And while you didn't ask about the coffee table, may I suggest getting some nice big books on there. I think the room needs a little more color to tie into the color you are adding on the walls.

• crystalpea
    6 years ago

Yes OP was engaging initially but I assume the negativity and the not at all productive criticism some were providing about something OP had put energy into was a bit much. For the life of me I don't understand why some houzzers (usually the same handful) find it acceptable to tear down posters and on top of that provide no CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Woof.

PU299 most people on houzz try to be helpful, hope you aren't gone for good!

• User
    6 years ago

So sad..."free speech" doesn't mean you HAVE to speak.

My belief is if you wouldn't say it to a friend, then don't say it here...

• Sarah Sarah
    6 years ago

If you like it then thats all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would change the artwork above fireplace to a round object like a mirror or clock or textured round piece of art not a picture. Just to give the space some different textures and shapes

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

The poster doesn't have to justify hiring an art consultant. She did hire one and she loved the result. And she asked wdyt here. So people said what they thought. I didn't read anything hurtful in the responses. She asked for opionions not affirmations. Geez!

• loobab
    6 years ago

Comments have been deleted from this and other posts. When they are, they are gone without a trace.

• jmm1837
    6 years ago

Pussy - hope you're still around, somewhere. I just wanted to say that, while I don't buy art that way myself, I also can't imagine trying to select art for a whole house in one go. That would not be fun. (It's taken me well over 40 years to accumulate the assorted paintings, prints, and "objects" on my walls! ).

So I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use an expert to provide guidance. Selecting art should be a joy, not an exercise in stress. Life is too short for that. I think the selections made by your designer will work well with your home, and seem to fit your personal aesthetic, which is fine.

And then, if your interests lie that way, you too can spend 40 years gradually building a collection of things that carry personal meaning :) I have art from a variety of places I've lived (lots of landscapes, for which I seem to have a weakness), along with some wall hangings, copper trays, a piece of a Hindu temple door, camel bags, and, most recently, I had a piece of copperwork made by my grandfather in the 50s professionally framed and it now hangs in my entry way. I like to mix things that are a bit three-dimensional with more formal art and that might be the one thing I'd suggest you consider adding. Otherwise, I think what you've put up is a good start. Maybe not the end point, because tastes and interests change and evolve (I'm still adding and substracting things), but a good start nonetheless.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Only the person who makes the comment are supposed to be able to delete it. But my comment is missing from this one. I was having a problem with Houzz the other day on my DD where I was getting email notifications, but the comments weren't showing up on my thread, but its fixed now.

• deegw
    6 years ago

Well, that's partially right. Houzz admins can delete posts too. And posters can go back and change or delete their posts. The change window is surprisingly long.

So it is entirely possible that someone on this thread who was pontificating about "art" or attacking the poster for using a consultant or making fun of the choices edited their post or deleted it.

I don't remember specific wording of the offensive posts in this thread. But I do know that there was more than one post that made me cringe.

• User
    6 years ago

I believe that reading is important ;)...the op said WDYT but she also said "I love it!"....Clearly she didn't want, or need, negativity. And that's just fine...and should be welcomed here and if anyone is unable to offer a kind word, then just go on to one of the thousands of other topics that you understand. Just sayin'

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

If I love something I do, I certainly don't ask people on GW what they think about it. If I loved it so much I wanted to share it, I would do it as a "reveal". I've never seen anyone critique a reveal. Don't open a door and then be surprised when people use it.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

so often the negative nellies do not read all or even some of the thread. why do they come on if they don't enjoy enough to even read?

• dragonflywings42
    6 years ago

I love to look here, read here, and occasionally comment or "like" here, but I would never post a photo of my own home and ask for an opinion. My skin is not and will never be thick enough for the comments that are given that are sometimes nasty or just plain mean. Pennydesign said "if you wouldn't say it to a friend, then don't say it here"...I agree 1000%, but suspect that some who answer here would talk to their friends in the same manner. Which is disturbing, but not my circus, not my monkeys, so there's that. I've seen folks use words like "disaster", "hideous", "gut it all and start over" and worse. Of course this drives people away and it keeps people like me from posting for advice. Which is just sad.

• PRO
    Van Parys Architecture + Design
    6 years ago

Looks good! The colors go well with the space.

• User
    6 years ago

I haven't read all the posts, but I did read initially and thought that people were getting rather preachy. Numerous times she explained that it was very stressful making the decisions and waiting to find the right piece and wanted it done. I can very much relate to how sometimes it can be an enjoyable exercise but often can be very anxiety provoking. I don't think all the responses were wrong, but many were less than kind and I thought condescending. I hope the OP comes back.

• Kim KP
    6 years ago

This OP has posted several dilemmas lately. I started reading this one from the onset and yes, there are several of the more critical posts missing. She clearly was happy about the selections and appeared to want validation from the people that had helped her with her other dilemmas. One of the first comments on my first dilemma on here was devastating to me and left me very upset. Fortunately, I have a thick skin and just flagged it and then along came some wonderful people to help me. Sometimes certain contributors just go too far. I’ve seen many OPs run off from this forum, but this is the first I’ve seen someone completely delete their account. THINK before you comment people! You could make or break someone’s day with your words

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i always start a thread asking those who have had a bad day to not come in, etc.

• loobab
    6 years ago

Do any Houzzers know the exact circumstances under which the OP left Houzz?

I don't think anyone here does.

To make assumptions that it is because of any particular comment or comments, or any particular Houzzer, well, we all know how the word assume is spelled.

To think that puppypuppyppuppy only wanted "validation," or that any critique of the art pieces shown was negativity, preaching or condescension really says more about the individuals who have inferred these things.

• User
    6 years ago

I'll happily own up to that, loobab, no matter what it "says" about me....Perhaps you could enlighten me as to, exactly, WHAT it "says" about me???

Rude is rude no matter the outcome (I also see some of the worse comments have been deleted).

• Kim KP
    6 years ago

When I read comments that say “is this a joke?” or similar comments that were deleted, yes I’m going to “assume” that is the reason the OP deleted her account.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Penny, I think "it" says you are able to make inferences well (an important part of reading comprehension on the SAT, btw.)

• loobab
    6 years ago

• havingfun
    6 years ago

boy i could use one of those.