SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmommy

Looking for help dealing with SD

midwestmommy
16 years ago

Hello. I am new here and could use some advice.

DH, his ex and I have a 5 year history together. DH and his ex split right before Dh and I started dating. DH and his ex had a then 16 month old daughter together. The split between Dh and his ex was very ugly. He did not initiate the split but did not fight it. At the time his ex was a very mean and spiteful person who was intent on hurting DH because he had moved on. She did this the only way she knew how and she did everything she could to keep Dh away from his daughter.

Fast forward to 5 years later. DH and I are still together and now happily married for 2 years, we have a 1 year old son together. DH and his ex have a decent relationship and he is starting to build a relationship with his daughter.

I am a fairly new mother - my son is 1, and I really never had to be a SM before because of the visitation limitations. Recently BM has started presenting more and more opportunities for us to take SD. (background, SD lives out of state about 500 miles away so visitation is not regular at all) I have some resentment towards BM because I feel that money is too high on her priority list and at times I feel as though she is looking to see how much she can get from us because she knows SD is a sore spot for DH.

My problem is that I have a lot of guilt, frustration, anger and impatience for our situation with BM and SD. I know that both sides of this situation have made mistakes and I am a believer in forgiveness, but I am having a hard time with it.

As silly as it may sound, I do not really like kids. Honestly when I think about it, I dont like how most parents raise their kids and that frustration comes out as me not liking the kids. Well, SD is the type of kid I really do not like. She whines, lies, hits, cries at the drop of a hat, breaks things and is generally disrespectful of everything when we are together as a family. I know that the situation is hard on her and as a person who came from a divorced family I truely 100% understand her situation and have been there, so I feel for this girl so much that it hurts and makes me cry. But at the same time, she infuriates me to the point that I have to walk away or I will haul off and smack her.

DH does not know how to deal with her, and life with BM has no dicipline (admittedly by bm). Recently BM has asked us to stop buying SD things because "she has no respect for her things, she breaks everything and goes so far as to start breaking her siblings things after hers are all broken. When she is confronted about it she says 'that's ok you will just buy me more things' "

Both DH and I grew up in poor families so we never had the luxury of being able to replace broken toys, so this type of attitude is foriegn to us.

Please note here that I am NOT badmouthing BM. BM is a good person at heart, what she did in the past to keep us away from SD is in the past. But her way of life is very different from ours. She has four kids from three different men, and unfortunetly SD is stuck inbetween her older sister and younger sister who have the same dad which is not my DH.

I think this girl is LOST, she needs help. She needs a home with positive attention and people who love and support her - not that BM doesnt, but her older siblings are often mean to her and tease her because BM's husband is 'not her dad'. I really feel that it is in SD's best interest to come live with us and DH agrees with me. At the same time, I have no idea how to deal with this girl. She is six years old and I feel like if we don't do something to help her soon, her life will end up so much worse than if we stepped in and helped her.

How do we approach her BM with the idea of her coming to live with us? How do we approach SD with that? How do we start to dicipline a six year old who has never really had any rules? This is all new to me and while I really do not like the idea of living with an unruley brat, I can not help but think... what if this is the turning point in her life and not helping her leads her down a path that is wrong for her and if we had only reached out her life could have been so much better?

Thanks for reading this far!

~ Confused Midwest Mommy

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!