SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamsteve

Help! 17 yo SD Moving Away To Live With Crazy Absentee Father

hamsteve
17 years ago

I need some advice from you all. I have helped raise our now 17 year old stepdaughter since the age of 4. She has lived with her mother and me in VA the entire time with only 2 short visits each year to see her very absent father in Florida. We never limited contact and encouraged the visits. BioDad has a very childish "kid buddy" relationship with SD and has over the last 3 years been relentlessly offering her all of the big ticket items we have not so easily provided, such as; a horse, a BMW car at age 16, cell phone with infinite minutes/no restrictions, no rules at his home, juke box, and on and on! BioDad has now purchased a "Country Club" home in FL and has been telling SD that her life is miserable living with us, her High School here is too hard, and her life would be easier and she will get all of the big ticket toys, sports car, etc. only if she moves in with him.

Since a late summer visit this summer with BioDad, SD has been demanding to move down to FL with him and we finally, after many talks with her, gave her a chance to make her own decision. She has decided to move in with him and SD is only thinking about the puppy she is now getting, fancy furniture she can pick out, fancy house, and the car, etc. We are worried, however we are tired of the fighting she has been doing off and on with us for this move to FL over the last few years, and her terrible lack of effort in her school work now. BioDad is single, no girlfriend, no other kids, and he is very immature. How he afforded the "Country Club" house, we do not know. BioDad does not support us, and always runs us down to SD. BioDad clearly just wants to "win" her love and my wife says that SD must move down and "get this out of her system." BioDad has not kept a single promise to SD yet, so we think that all will not be so rosey when she moves down there with him. After all, she will be living with a single man she does not really know, no friends, new school (coming in right in the middle of 11th grade), leaving her first real boyfriend behind, etc. This is crazy and I am depressed that I have no way to alter this move. SD pays very little attention to me these days. SD just accepts anything her BioDad says and this is just weird to me. Why is SD doing this??

What do you think is going on here? Am I out of her life now forever, given that I am not offering the big ticket toys like BioDad? I feel so foolish to have loved SD as my own daughter, only to have her run to FL for the sake of toys and "bling." What should we be on the lookout for? I basically agree with my wife that our daughter needs to get her head straight, however this is a very big risk she is taking. Any and all comments would be really helpful. I am confused and very hurt that this move will take palce in a few weeks. And it will happen. Help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County