SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamsteve

17 yo SD Estrangement - What Else is Left To Do?

hamsteve
16 years ago

Hi Folks,

Many of you will recall that my 17 yo SD was promised every possible expensive toy and freedom only if she would move in with her biofather in FL. SD secretly planned with biofather for a year to have her rowdy 17 yo girlfriend move down also to live with her and her single biofather in his new "country club" home in FL. SD made the move right in the middle of her Junior year in HS telling her mother and me that she "hated" us and "hated" living in our very normal and nice home. We did not make promises to SD of the expensive toys and provided appropriate freedoms and the expectation of good grades in school first to achieve some of the toys she wanted.

After we told the girlfriend's parents that we were not informed (deceived) of the real living situation with their daughter going to live with biofather and our daughter in FL, and that we objected to this, the girlfriend's parents pulled her out of the move. SD then went to go live full time with her father, which was the original plan with us. SD is angry that the girlfriend pulled out and she will not speak to us and is apparently estranged from us.

This summer biofather took my wife to court for child support (15 months worth) and after my wife got an attorney and sent him court papers for the many thousands of unpaid child support he still owed her, well biofather dropped the court case.

Anyway, my SD still will not communicate with her mother or me in any way. Her mother has tried texting her cell phone and leaving nice voice mails. I have tried numerous friendly emails. All met with no response to either her mother or me. We have heard that SD has not received virtually any of the toys promised, however he let her lay around all summer with no job or expectation, and just let her be lazy. Biofather has been giving her $100 per week for her "living expenses." Now SD has started her Senior year in HS in FL and we are just left with the ongoing estrangement.

My wife cannot communicate with her ex, and after many years I fully understand how the ex's constant anger, attacks, legal threats, blaming, demanding that she sign and have noterized simple promises to him or her daughter, etc. well you get the picture. My wife is just afraid to talk to him and just won't do it.

What is there left to do in a crazy situation like this?

Undoubtedly SD is getting a daily very distorted negative view of her mother and me, just a constant drumbeat as to how "terrible" we are. None of it is true of course, and it is just his way of total manipulation of those around him. We are just trying to go on and hope for the day that our daughter "wakes up" and wants to have a relationship with us. Whatever happened to those years up to 13 yo when SD was so happy and kind to us, and me? What is there left to do? Thanks for your comments.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH