SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olduvai

Respect of my 18yo SD

olduvai
16 years ago

Hello fellow step parents...I am new to this forum but I think I really need the advice of others that walk in my shoes or in my 18 year old SD shoes.

I am a 34 year old stepmother to an 18yo girl and 21yo boy, I also have biological 3&4yo boys with my husband. We have been married for 5 years and are still deeply in love, however I am angry at the way I get treated by my SD and the actions of which my husband takes to rectify what seems to be an unrectifiable situation. That said...

My SD is VERY surly, something I've come to grips with. My problem is that we seem to have a very decent relationship with each other but she wants to take the adult role in our family by disciplining the young boys, and just the other day I was angry w/her father for not coming home to help put the boys to bed after he'd been on a 9 day business trip. My anger overtook me and as I closed the door after putting the boys to bed, I walked into my room and while talking to myself said, "Your dad doesn't care about coming home to put you to bed after not seeing you for a week,why should I care what time you go to bed." Well, of course this was just anger & I do care (the kids did not hear me to make that clear), but my SD chimed in from downstairs, "Don't talk about him that way, that's BullS---." I came down and said to her that I was just angry and I am allowed to vent in the privacy of my home, I am already upset please do not add to this, just finish your studies. But she kept going on how this is her dad and I am not allowed to vent when other people are around. And so we go back and forth, obviously getting each other more upset until she says to me, "Shut the f--- up." I told her she can not talk to me like that & she is to pack her bags and go to her moms or apologize, she chose mom's. I hate to see her go, she is a good sister to her brothers and we do have good times together. I will not, however, let her treat me that way, but apparently my husband & his ex (which I do have a good relationship as well...my boys call her auntie) hold no disciplining matters. Instead of a punishment, she is allowed to run to moms and escape any sort of discipline. My husband says we shoud sit down and have a talk. We have done this twice before, and it winds up with me apologizing to her in order to gain peace within the household (this girl can hold a grudge for months and make anyone's life miserable). I told him this is not going to work and he and is ex need to have a talk with her about being so rude and nosey among other things.

To shed some light on my SD, she has held no friendships with any girls, has had no boyfriend since I've known her for the past 7 years. She is smart, beautiful and a good family person but lacks any social skills other than being rude...my way or the highway, seems always to be miserable and complains about everything. Because of this behavior both the ex & my husband, as well as myself, believe she needs some therapy on how to get thru this anger and depression she seems to suffer with. This is a constant topic of conversation but nothing is EVER done about it. She has complete control of every situation and it drives me mad. I am always feeling like I'm treated as the child in the family instead of a respectable adult.

To add to the pain of it all, my husband and I just had another talk about the situation, and he said to me that my SD has never liked me, etc. I said that I believe that to be untrue for we have had a very good relationship with some rocky roads in fact my SD and I had, just a couple weeks ago, concerning that and she made it clear that we agree we have a good relationship and she had never "hated" me, maybe disliked but never "hated" were her words. My husband says to me, "Well, I think she's lying." I am totally hurt by that response and completely mystified and blindsighted.

Help me please with some advice, I know I am all over the place and things go much deeper but I am at a total loss, feel like I have absolutely no respect or control of the situation and I have no one to help me gain that back. I begin to feel at fault when I know I am not and angry at everyone under this roof of mine.

Comments (20)