SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandieanne_gw

am I being selfish

sandieanne
16 years ago

Last week I ended up with a surprise emergency surgery. Long story short, I didn't know what was wrong until after I came out of surgery. Worst case, cancer and a full hysterectomy; luckily, I had the best case with an ovarian cyst bursting and one of my ovaries being removed. My husband has been as supportive as a guy knows how (boy I wish my mommy were here). It's been a week. My husband took Monday off work to be with me although ended up leaving three times during the day to drop something off at school for his son, eat lunch with his son and then pick his son up from school. His son has been acting like we are always trying to get rid of him so when he had to go to his uncle's Monday night, he acted all put out. (he had to spend the night so his uncle could take him to school the next morning - my husband had to leave for work at 4:15 am so he could get his son to counseling the next day and I can't drive for another week). They are now planning a time together for tonight. I'm not against that under normal circumstances, but they are planning on going to a movie which will take 2-3 hours. Today I'm having twenty staples removed and I was hoping I could have some company tonight. I thought they could go do something for an hour and then come home, but my husband wants to do what his son whats to do since his son will be with his mother for the entire spring break week. And, does a movie really qualify as quality time since they don't interact throughout the entire movie?

I understand my husband's concerns, he says he is trying to please everyone and his son will not always want him to do things with him, but his son now has such high expectations that when his dad is unable to do even the smallest thing, he acts like a spoiled child not getting his way.

I know my step son is going through a lot with a toxic mother and an even more toxic step father, but that has been going on for 2 plus years and I have only had this surgery once. Am I being selfish to want my husband home with me tonight. Last night my husband came home just to leave for a cub scout meeting- I felt like I had to go just so I could spend time with my husband- being in a room, even for an hour with those boys was really overdoing it - especially since I'm now out of the good medicine.

Here's another thing- the counselor and my step son seem to think that the only time the two have quality time is when they are by themselves totally. Somehow, if I speak to my husband via the telephone even for a couple of minutes, their time together was ruined. I thing that as long as the two are doing something together (like a boy scout activity) that should qualify for quality time together. Am I wrong here?

That last thing about the quality time was just an additional rant. I just want to know if I am being unreasonable wanting my husabnd home with me tonight?

Comments (9)