SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olive_2006

Mom-to-be wants more family time

olive_2006
18 years ago

I am in a happy relationship and 8 months pregnant with my first child. My fiance has 2 kids from his previous marriage that he has visitation with every other weekend and alternating holidays- a 16 year old son, and a 13 year old daughter. These arrangements were originally made at the time of his divorce. Since then, he has moved out of state to live with me. He continues to drive 400 miles to visit his kids every other weekend at his parent's house. I encourage this. However, we are running into real issues with this arrangement.

The 16 year old son is severely mentally retarded and autistic. I have had him visit once with the daughter, and it was a much more difficult situation than I believe I could reasonably handle on a regular basis. The child is very big and difficult to control, is not potty trained completely, is nonverbal, and does not use utensils when eating. He is lovable in many ways, but I am being honest-I found it very stressful to try to care for him when I have never been exposed to a developmentally disabled person of this severity. My fiance's parents do not think it is reasonable for him to drive the child down here, and do not think he should expect me to care for the child. They will not be left alone with the child because he is too difficult to care for. They have offered for my fiance to bring both kids to their house, which is close to the ex wife, every other weekend. This arrangement has been working. My fiance understands my position and I have agreed with him to spend limited amounts of time at the grandparent's house with him and both kids so that I can remove myself from the situation when it becomes too much. However, we have just found out that my future mother-in-law has terminal cancer and can no longer be expected to handle both of the kids in the house every other weekend. Also, despite the fact that he is supposed to have the kids every other holiday, he has had them every single holiday for the past year. I have spent Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, and New Years alone at our home while he is in another state with his kids at his parents house. I had planned to spend Christmas at his parents with him and the kids, but was hospitalized due to an emergency with my pregnancy. Right now I am physically having a hard time at home alone, as I am having sciatic nerve problems and having trouble walking. It is more and more difficult for me to be home alone every other weekend as the due date approaches, and I am very worried that he will not be here for the birth of our baby because of his custody arrangements. But I don't want to ask him not to see his kids. However, I am physically having a very hard time here and need someone to help me for the next 8 weeks. I am worried sick that he will not be here to take me to the hospital and I will spend the most important moment of my life, giving birth to our child, without him.

I am also starting to tire of spending every holiday alone, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to travel out of state to his family's house just to spend a holiday together. I am so exhausted from working a very demanding career and the little time I have on weekends, I would like to spend together at home. I had hoped for our baby, that she would wake up in her own house on Christmas morning and Easter Sunday, and that we would be able to attend church services together as a family on those days. I would not mind going out of state to visit family on Thanksgiving or some holidays, but not all of them. And if we are to do this, I would want my family to be part of who we visit, not just his.

I don't feel like we are a family. I feel left behind and not included.

One solution might be to have the kids here every other weekend, but the autistic one is too much for me right now, and probably always will be. I am concerned about being able to care for him plus an infant when I have no experience in either one, and when he needs constant supervision. I also believe that carting him back and forth 5 hours each way is disruptive to him and very stressful, and the child needs routine. The 12 year old girl is not a problem.

Is it reasonable and normal for an out of state father to keep this arrangement going or should we look into other custody schedules, such as having the kids for longer stretches of time, but less frequently? Am I being unreasonable by feeling that I am not in a position to properly care for the autistic child and have him in my home on a regular basis? Am I being selfish for wanting to spend holidays with my significant other at our home, with or without the kids?

Most importantly, how often does a newborn baby need to spend time with her father in order to bond? If we are to keep up this custody arrangement, will it be confusing to the baby or is it possible to make this work? Please advise.

Comments (9)