SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariagermany

Please vote for favorite basic kitchen layout! Thanks!

MariaGermany
12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much in advance for your help. I very much value the experience of the kitchen planners on this site, and am asking for help for the first time.

Please, at this point, could you vote for which of the three layouts, in the most general way, you think would accomplish my goals? After that, I will post a refined version and ask for comments.

I am an American living in Germany, so I have given measurements in metric and feet/inches - whatever works best!

We need to build a family friendly, heart-of-the home kitchen into a townhome that is long and narrow, and suffers from darkness and coldness in the middle of the house. The room we are using for our kitchen is 21'4" (651cm) by 13'8" (416 cm), and has a back door which is the main exit onto the south part of the house, where the terrace and into the back yard are. The door to the terrace is flanked by two windows, starting about 2 inches lower than counter height, which, because of their position, make any tall cabinet deeper than 45cm in the SW corner problematic, but something could be worked around to get a counter down at that end to work. I have indicated doors to other rooms where relevant.

Appliances:

1. 60cm (24inch) DW

2. 90cm (36 inch) counter-depth French door fridge with ice maker

3. 60cm (24 inch) under counter wine fridge

4. 100cm AGA Total Control range w/Hood above

5. 60cm (24 inch) Miele Combi-Microwave-Oven

6. 60cm (24x24) Dumbwaiter � which must stay in the NW corner where indicated and will be floor to ceiling

7. Possibly a supplemental small induction cooktop

Goals:

1. Seating for 4 (2 kids/2 adults) (or more - if I could make the room grow - thus the table option!)

2. Never feel squashed

3. Have a separate area where coffee in the morning/cold drinks during the day/wine for parties could be prepared without anyone being in my way

4. We are a one cook family, but with all members willing to help out setting table/cleaning up (which husband does while I cook), it would be nice to organize kitchen so we stay out of each other�s way as much as possible

Helpful info:

1. The 5' (150cm) door to dining room in SE corner has some flexibility in placement, and could be placed anywhere along the 10' (3 meter) stretch of the East wall closest to the South wall

Please vote for PENINSULA, TABLE, or PUREISLAND plan. In all plans, I would be happy to switch the location of the cooktop and the sink.

Looking forward to reading your vote!! Thanks!

Comments (13)