SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Dualing layouts... Please vote

remodelfla
15 years ago

can't leave well enough alone... I was down at the house today and saw that it would be REALLY tight with the 42" round table where I plan it in the U layout and the frig. Didn't seem so on paper but I just didn't like the feel as I stood there. So I took my trusty tape measure and began thinking. I came back to a layout to one (of many) that rhome had come up with right before I began questioning life, liberty, and the pursuit of kitchen nirvana So... the U shape

or a galley similar to this

I was thinking I may not even do the overhang. I could either omit completely if you all think it's too tight OR I was thinking of 15" deep storage for dishes and then I'd make the bottom left corner back to a pantry and the laundry room remains a laundry room with still plenty of space for bulk stuff. The only thing then is where would I put the coffee maker? I could still keep it a coffee center or do any combination thereof. ANYWHO... just tell me what you think of the galley vs. the U shaped.

Sick of me yet?

Comments (66)

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buehl... I'm not eliminating any option! I even had a U shaped where the north leg was bumped out some and I was able to fit an island in. It was on my last thread. Looked like this:

We're going to stay down at that house this weekend so I may show the Mr. these ideas to get his input. If he freaks and goes all negative on me... I may give up and just remodel my house here, get alot of cats, and become a reclusive old lady!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I kind of like that! It has a BB island (I assume BB since it's brown) for cutting/prepping on...and it's not a barrier island. It's pretty much a straight shot from the cooktop or the sink to the Ref.

It also opens it up a little bit more and even makes table clearance better.

• Related Discussions

please vote on layout

Q

Comments (6)
    I think the fridge hemming in the farm sink pretty well negates the sink's utility. I was getting crosseyed reading your previous thread, so I've probably missed some details, though I think I get the gist. Having a glass topped stove next to the farm sink doesn't make sense. Isn't that the place to put the canner? Maybe a dual fuel range so you can have gas on top and an electric oven if you want one for baking? Or a wall oven mounted low, and just a powerful burner for the canner? I'd also put some counter between the sink and burner, because you'd need that area for everything you're processing. Which leads back to kitchen flow. The farm sink takes up a lot of space for little utility. Is this the sink you already have? Can it be made to fit where you have the prep sink marked? I get the utility of having a sink by the garden door, but not that size. It would be better to use the prep sink for all prep, and have just a little sink, if you want one, by the door for hand washing, boot washing, dumping muddy carrots and potatoes in for a quick pre-rinse, etc. If you did that, (even if you kept the farm sink and used it that way), it makes the sink by the door more of a mudroom sink, and not really part of the kitchen, which makes the fridge next to it okay. That long, narrow island, however, isn't a continent. It's more like a sandbar. 38" is just barely enough work room in an aisle. I don't like it on an immovable object with seating, with a wall on the other side. Does anything but the post have to stay in the pantry area? Have you tried a pantry opening toward the garden door? That would help, if there's room to relocate the fridge and freezer to where you have the bench listed. How are you ventilating? Are you really happy with the range under a window? One of the things I couldn't wait to get rid of in my old kitchen was a cooktop under a window! Ideally, I'd want to put the prep sink in a shorter island, with just a walkspace behind it, on the left side, the fridge and freezer where the bench is, the range where you have baking dishes listed, between the two sinks on the plan, the DW on the other side of the clean-up sink, and the bench under the windows on the right. I'm not sure this all works, and don't have time to draw it. Plan B is getting there, but I don't think it's quite there yet.
    ...See More

Stove Wall Layout (Vote Please)

Q

Comments (12)
    I totally hear those voting for #1, it's a little awkward, but it does still strike me as more functional. That said... I think #2 is really the option for us. It just looks more intentional. We're certainly not worried about filling the drawers, my wife prefers smaller less cluttered / combined drawers. And I can't see why two 15" upper cabinets would be that much less functional than one 30", you maybe lose 1-1.5"? melissa- Thank you so much for the measurement, it really helps me. bfelton- Good idea on the drawer heights, I will mock it up and see what the wife thinks. rhome- Thanks, you're right, I think the larger prep area to the right works better too. kitchenkrazed- Great point about the drawer. The range is 28.5" deep apparently... so we'll have to see if this will work when I talk with the cabinet guys. I don't really want another lazy susan, but it's an option if the drawer issue is not easily overcome. And the thought of adding a window makes me nauseous, we just got through painting and siding, and as much as I agree it would be nice... I just can't do it. mnerg- Yes. We did swap to a 30" hood, and I meant to say that we were willing to buy a different one. We bought the current one (for very little) off eBay and it's missing a piece so if it goes, it goes. Thanks for mentioning it. We were planning tray storage above the fridge, but it's worth thinking about. Thanks again all.
    ...See More

Pick pick pick! Please vote for layout!

Q

Comments (42)
    Erika, There are several different schools of thought regarding fridge placement and proximity to the range/prep area. I even once started a thread on this subject, lol If I remember correctly, it was about 50/50 - some liked the fridge to be a few short steps from prep, others liked the fridge outside their work area and didn't mind traveling a bit (I'm raising my hand here), a few were able to accomplish both? In any event, 10' is just about within NKBA guidelines. It screams out to me in looking at your inspiration pics that the CT & hood flanked by two big, beautiful windows is the way to go - give that some thought and go from there. The other things to consider is the idea of an island main sink & DW - it's not for everyone, would it work for you & your family? Are you a stacker or a rinse & load type of person? The island would be a great staging area when hosting and with the sink & DW there it impedes that usage (both functionally & aesthetically). It would give you less island prep space, but really easy clean-up. Also, your storage needs. I know you really would like a hutch on the long wall - is that at all negotiable? A 6'w hutch is going to compete visually with your window view - it's a very 'heavy' reading item, especially if you are thinking of painting it a dark color. What if you located the sink, DW & hutch on the short wall? (fridge would be to the DR end of the window wall - easy access to DR and for folks sitting at the island and I'd do 2 ovens s/s as opposed to a stack on the windowed wall, code permitting) I've rambled enough... let me know what you think.
    ...See More

3 Tiles Patterns to Vote on - Only 7 Pictures- please vote

Q

Comments (64)
    Elle3, Thank you so much for letting me know you like the staggered also. The installer today liked the staggered with the shape of my kitchen and I think it is an updated look that is becoming popular. I have the diagonal in the two foyers and it looks nice but after I spread the tiles out on the floor, I just liked the staggered first, diagonal second and the straight third just like mercymygft. The installer today chose a dark mushroom color from Polyblend custom grout colors that too me looked like a taupe/gray color and yes it went with the gray veins in my tile but I like the Laticrete Mushroom color I chose to blend with the tiles and not stand out. He let me see his townhouse in a different complex that had solid cherry cabinets that he has professionally stained a Mahogany Cherry with crown molding and it looked great with the cherry floors in the other room. Maybe I should change the lighting and tile now and then make my decision on the cabinets? ksissy, I wish I could just change the cabinet doors but Home Depot's refacing place was ridiculously expensive at $18,400 but if I signed that night, $15,400! I wonder if someone can replace the doors at a cheaper price? I had planned on painting the cabinets BM Cloud White once I decided not to buy cabinets right now since I had wanted to go with Shiloh's Polar White Inset Cabinets with the hidden hinges. Now after seeing someone cherry kitchen this morning with cherry floors in the other room, I wonder if my cabinets will look better a little bit darker due to the cherry floors in the next room. I want new cabinets but I decided just not yet since there is too much down time with renovating the whole kitchen and the price is becoming too much for my townhouse in case I want to sell it one day.
    ...See More
  • remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey rhome... I'm curious... which of the three is your pick? You've seen all my mental explosions!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

What kind of seating are you planning for in front of the TV?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think I like the galley. Each has its own positives, and look like they'd be very reasonable places to work--but the galley seems to have plenty of work area, I prefer how it looks (from both directions, but, especially, the family room), and I like how the dining area is separated and has a little more formality and class than the ones with the fridge behind the table. It's harder to get to the pantry from the working area of the galley, though, so does it have enough storage for the everyday things you'll want to have at your finger tips?

For some reason the U reminds me of a diner-style kitchen, with the cook on view in the center. That's not a slam on it, because I think that's kind of cool, and it really has separate work areas for separate tasks, which is nice...But the separated zones won't be as big a deal for a one-woman show. I have to put it in 2nd place from my point of view. This one stops the eye on the way through to the windows, where the island leads the eye to the view.

The widened U uses up more of the already small sunroom. The island is nice, but I just don't think you'll need it, and I don't see it as the natural place to work for any of the tasks with so much more convenient counter space on the perimeter.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I much prefer the U shape with all that lovely counter space, but I love working in a U.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've never worked in a U shaped kitchen so I don't know. But.... I HAVE TWO LAYOUTS THAT COULD WORK! Now that's a fact that makes me smile. I'll tweak the galley one after school to reflect the suggested changes. It only took me about 6 months to get to this point. I find points I like about both. Like sarcholos... I like the counter space of the U. And like rhome... prefer the view/overall look of the galley. I think I would eliminate the eating overhang and make the island a version of double depth. Plus, I'd have 5' more of counterspace/storage (albiet, not quite as convenient) over by the table. I could keep the coffee makins' and mugs in the uppers and large platters, casserole dishes, things like this large ceramic thing I only use at Thanksgiving for mashed potatos. OH! My Mom's china could go in glass uppers there!

Here's the coffee table idea I mentioned and it was supermom who gave me the idea. This would be for the sunroom for extra eating. I'm thinking armless sofa or love seat there... like 2 slipper chairs joined.

Here is a link that might be useful: convertible coffee table

• linley1
    15 years ago

I like both of these layouts but I think I prefer the look of the galley kitchen especially if you are going for a more contemporary feel like the Hansen cabinets.

Before deciding on a final layout, I would strongly encourage you to consider the furniture placement in the adjoining family and sunrooms and to decide on a cohesive plan for all rooms. The sunroom in particular seems like an awkward space to design because of the limited wall space and egress issues.

I know you're in love with the table but I think a smaller bistro size table with a banquette against the wall would really open up the space.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OH man.... what I went through to find those chairs. Found them on ebay after months... had them shipped from NY (shipping cost more then the chairs), refinished and recovered them myself. They're so BEAUTIFUL! Low profile backs, curved lines... don't know if I"m brave enough to part with it linley!!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I'm in agreement with linley1 that you have to determine furniture placement in the sunroom before you proceed with the kitchen. If you can show that the furniture won't fit, he may agree to let you use the whole space for the kitchen/dining area and give up the notion of a "lounge". The only way I could fit a sofa in that space was to put it under the window, but then you can't see the TV. Could he be happy with being able to watch TV while cleaning up or sitting at the peninsula/island and just using the sofa for "lounging". You could butt the sofa up against the peninsula and watch TV from there, but then you have to give up your overhang. Below are some quick, crude drawings to give you a better sense of the space. Keep in mind that the stools can be pushed under the overhang when not in use, so the island isn't quite as tight as it looks.

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

I personally like the island better than the U. It opens the kitchen up to the sunroom and the back of the house, which I think would be great given you have a screen room and pool and the great views in that direction. That was my driving force in mentioning the L with an island. I could see putting something in the oven then sitting in the sunroom with a glass if ice tea while it bakes. Also makes it easy if you grill too. It connects the kitchen to the back of the house better.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cheri... thanks so much for the 3D... it really helps. DH had couches in there before (with the existing old kitchen) He just placed seating and TV's in front of the window. Certainly would not be my plan. I'm thinking a wall mounted TV on a swivel on the right side of the window. A slim armless sofa on the same side under the window. I could also do one under the north window. I'm talking small scale stuff. I'm not looking for a big screen TV as we will have that in the family room. Don't forget... the 2nd bedroom will have a TV, the master (about the only time I really like to watch TV is the news in bed as I fall asleep) will have a small flat screen, and we keep an old TV out in the screen room. I don't even really watch TV except for Thursday nights and the news. The more I look at it, the more I feel that the island is "me" and true to my original vision. Though... I do also like and could be happy with the U shaped.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I'd present your SO with these options and see what he likes. If you tell him you like both and are willing to go with the option he prefers, you may get more buy-in and support.

• jayne s
    15 years ago

I've got an idea for something between the "U" and the galley. (And my apologies in advance for complicating the thread.)

An L-shape with island. (Is this what mom2lilenj was suggesting?)

Keep wall and southern leg of your "U". Have an island from North to South. (Maybe not a deep one though and shorter than what you have.) This will give you back some additional workspace and the leg will keep people out of your work area while not closing it off entirely.

This might give you a little more clearance around and walking by the round table/chairs.

jayne

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what I was thinking buehl. Though I know he's still thinking that taking out the partial bearing wall that currently exists between the kitchen and sunroom will make me love his old layout. And no matter how many times I tell him that an open appearance will not net me any additional linear feet in counterspace; he keeps saying "but it'll look totally different". Second... his brain works by first: How much work is entailed Second: How much will it cost. Once he gets past those two things.... he'll be able to pick a layout. Instinct tells me he'll prefer the galley style. We'll see... (really... I really really can't wait to get one with this already)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Elyse, am I remembering correctly that the reason you don't want to put your table in the sunroom is because DH likes to relax and watch TV in there? I can't recall what your table looks like but would a setup like this possibly work?

{{!gwi}}

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Another vote for the U-shape just because I would personally find it better for me. However, as many have pointed out, this is your kitchen and ultimately you should choose which is better for you and how you use your kitchen. When you go to visit again and if possible, take a couple of rolls of the blue painters tape and tape measure. I was able to do this recently in the old part of kitchen space for a few pieces I wanted in the kitchen and it was an eye opener. While I am still going to be able to do what I want w/ a little tweaking, it pointed out things I need to make sure DH and I are watching for when the GC gets to that area. It will also give you an opportunity to walk through putting up dishes after washing, making a meal, filling the coffee pot, getting things out of the fridge, etc.--just make sure you walk around those pieces you tape off and not "through" them!

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

I'd like to see drawings of an "L" with island before I vote....

And can I see pics of the chairs?

I love how much time you are spending on layout. I obsessed about mine for months and even now (after kitchen is done) I will mock up new ones when I see something interesting. In six months, I still haven't come up with anything better than what I did. You will be glad for getting it right when all is said and done.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

O.K. both the plans have merits, but I lean towards the galley version. Partially because the U would make me feel like I was on display while cooking in my little dollhouse kitchen (you know, the kind that is missing one wall and you move your dolls around in..OK, I digress) and, there is no barrier to keep people out while I am working.

Another thought, what style would you say your home is? I think the U fits a more traditional home and a galley a bit more modern. Of course, finishes will be the main factor in both, but a galley feels like more of an efficient work horse to me.

The U-shape kitchen is actually a little forced to me since you don't have a wall on either leg of the U, so basically it is a one wall kitchen with two penninsulas. That may not be a bad thing, but it strikes me as a little different. Also, the refrigerator seems too far from the sink for me, I would want it closer. It would be helpful to know where the traffic flow goes beyond the lower portion of your drawing.

I didn't mind the extended U with the little island. I have clients who have a moveable narrow 22" x 56" chop island in the middle of their kitchen and it is invaluable to prep for them. It looks cool too, like a little piece of furniture...

One more thing, as kitchens go, an L-shape kitchen with an island is the number 1 kitchen design going and has been for several years. They are efficient, attractive and popular (think resale). It would be great to be able to see that option.

For the sunroom, is there a reason the sofa can't go on the same wall you are putting the table on?

Just some thoughts.....GOOD LUCK!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First things first...
    {{!gwi}}

Closer up:

Now... I will do the painters tape thing.. good idea. However, the old kitchen and bearing wall is still in place so I can't actually "walk through" since the kitchen exists where I want to put the table. I will take some pics of the place. I have others I had posted months earlier but at that point it was still a mess from the renters that trashed the place. It's been cleaned up so you'll be better able to see the space.

I've done "L"s with a island but the L was on the north side not the bottom. I draw something quick up in powerpoint (2D) to see what I come up with and post on here.

mindi... I agree with the "oddness" of the U from the outside; particularly the family room side. The family room is just below where the bottom peninsula would be and that is also where the entrance to the house is. There is a mini hallway to the right of the L that leads to two bedrooms. The 3rd bedroom is the converted garage which is through the laundry room/possibly to be walk in pantry.

I love banquette seating but don't know how it would work for us. I can't push back the any of the large window walls. I also wonder if as we get older; will it be difficult to get in and out of that kind of seating (sliding down and such). For grandkids... great! And no problem now; but what about when I'm 75?

I'm gonna work on an L layout now! Thanks so much for you input!

OH... my "style". Even though the DR set looks traditional, I'm very eclectic. In terms of space; I prefer open informal, comfy, more contemporary. I prefer not to have delineated formal spaces. That help?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did a quick draw on an L layout with an island. I put the peninsula on the upper end primarily because I already had one half drawn and saved that way. What I don't like: Too little usable counter compared to the other layouts. I didn't bother to draw it the other way because I felt it would be the same space either way and why close up the bottom when what I want to be able to do is see straight through to the back and outside as much as possible. If you guys feel it would make a difference and you see something in the L + island that I don't; I'll whip one up. So... whaddaya think? You like the L better then the galley or U? My first impression is I don't but Lord knows I've been known to change my mind more then once!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Elyse - re: U vs. galley...I like them both. I like the U a little better, but that's just me -- I'm a peninsula girl. But I think they're both good.

The only thing about the galley I'd point out is that the fridge being in the corner like that...just make sure you're planning to choose a fridge that can be up against a wall. I don't know exactly which ones need the 9"-12" of clearance between it and the wall...but make sure you get one of those, or put the fridge at the other end of that run.

Have fun choosing!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

The good thing about this plan (island one) is that the fridge can be pulled out even with the jog in the wall, so voila'!...no interference. We discussed at one point, depending on how deep that jog is, that Remodelfla could have deeper counters on that wall to make everything even with the pulled-forward fridge for 2 plusses. I just goofed and didn't make sure to show it that way in that rendering.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All that and I forgot to include the L layout... what a dope!

I just don't think there's enough depth to make the island part that integral; especially going north to south.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Elyse, I just realized that I had your sliding doors on the wrong wall...very nice of you not to mention that my furniture placement didn't make any sense. Sorry. Anyway, after close inspection of Rhome's 3D, I can see now why you're thinking you can make a sitting area in the sunroom.

Back to the question at hand...it's really hard to decide which layout is better because they're both so different. I guess for me and the way I work, I'd like the U better (even though I hate corners). There's so much more counter space and more storage close at hand (wall cabinets). The only down side is that the fridge is a bit further away than you'd like it to be however, it's a small space so it's really not bad at all. In fact, I don't like where the fridge is in the island layout...it's too close to the cooktop for me. I also like the way the table isn't competing with the counter seating in the U layout. Btw, I love your chairs. You did a beautiful job refinishing them.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, it's all three 9' windows and then there's a regular sized door to the left of the window. We had PLANNED on taking out the back window and making it a french door. That is on the back burner... by leaving it a window; there are more options for furniture placement.

Thanks for the chair compliment... I just love the lines of them. The material is a rich embossed leather/suede that I picked up at Walmart for $7 a yard! I bought so much extra of it that I made DS a headboard out of it and still have a ton left over!

• jayne s
    15 years ago

If you don't think you'll have enough counter space with an "L", I guess it wouldn't work swapped to the bottom. I had intentionally selected the bottom because of the position of your round table and the idea that the path to the refrigerator wouldn't be a nuisance. I had started with your "U" shape from above and included the sink and dishwasher [from the top leg] in the square/rectangular island while keeping fridge in the lower left corner. That's why it hadn't seemed like such a loss of space. On the plus side, you'd gain good access to the counter/cab on the north side of your cooktop.

By the way, it looks like you'll need to fully pull out your chairs to sit down/stand up because the sides are not open so you might need to allow for some extra space in your layout. Too bad you can't put the table in your sunroom. With windows on all sides and a table like that, it would look like a great "breakfast room."

jayne

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The table is a 42" round. With the chairs I need 6' round. I haven't given completely up on getting the table into the sunroom. I had even come up with a couple plans that still allowed space for a small sitting area since I have 16' in width. I doubt highly I'm gonna get it to fly though... time will tell...

Man... I wish I could fast forward so I knew where this was going. Part of our differences is that (to me) he moves in negative slo mo and I want to take a sledge hammer and start demo RIGHT NOW!! We're a good balance I guess...:-)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

"Part of our differences is that (to me) he moves in negative slo mo and I want to take a sledge hammer and start demo RIGHT NOW!!"

Wow, how I know that difference! Mine isn't necessarily negative, but I always want things *yesterday* and wish I could start on things myself while he's off 'lolly-gagging' at work. Unfortunately, since I'm the idea/design person and he's the real craftsman with access to all the good tools, it would be a very bad idea for me to do that... As you said, a balancing act.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I revised my L layout attempt because I realized that if I move the table up I could still have room for some lounging on the other side. I enlarge the size of the table for truer representation of how much space I would need with the chairs. (6') I may be able to sell this to DH since it would involve less plumbing moves then the galley and he still gets his sitting area. I like that it's more open than the U on the bottom. And I love the thought (unless it would look too choppy) that i could have an island with 2' of BB and 4' marble. Seems like I have a lot more storage with this setup. Feedback??

I didn't really think about an overhang anywhere since I'd have a "coffee bar". I figure I could make it a table height counter with legs for support and uppers above for storage. I won't dare call it a coffee bar to DH cause he'd think I was going all Starbucks high end in a low end town on him! I need a place to keep the two extra dining chairs when the leaf isn't in which is most of the time.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Random thoughts and comments/questions:

Where do dishes go?

The 'coffee bar' at table height with chairs won't be very easily accessible. Are you planning that as the spot for the coffee pot? Too low, IMO, and, like I said, blocked by chair backs.

I hope you're not really planning the island at less than 2 ft deep? I'd make it 4 ft.

Whatever happened to your desk?

This may be some very bad news, depending on how adjusting it turns out, but your seating in the TV area is very small and shallow...Not to scale, I don't think, with anything real you'd want to put there?

It's pretty tight around the table it looks like. Is this oval supposed to encompass 2 chairs only? When you put 4, I don't think you'll be able to get to the sitting area.

I can't jump on the bandwagon for this one. At least not yet. :-)

• jayne s
    15 years ago

Now that I see the table and clearance positioned in the sun room, I'd like to change my vote back to the improved galley [with 12 or 15 inch of extra depth on the island and your butcher-block.]

Your frig can be in the galley and you get the wall of dishes and display back. Carrying dishes to table is a little walk but sink/dishwasher is midway between.

Plus, it seems like your table has a more prominent and intentional position.

jayne

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now rhome... ya' gotta know I'm not going to be dissuaded that easily!
    OK.. coffee pot... since I don't drink coffee and I stand barely 5' I didn't think about height for the coffee pot. I can put it by the frig on the 21" counter. Yes... I know the sink is across the way but you can't have everything! I don't want to call it a "desk" cause a prior iteration that had a desk DH responded, "Desk?! Who needs a desk! It's won't get used". So I call it.... 15" deep counter to keep 2 dining chairs with uppers space." OOOO... I just had a thought. What if I made the entire island table height with a partial overhang and put 2 dining chairs there? Like this? Changed the 15" left side to dish storage.

Sunroom... I tried to do the 42" round table to scale but may have done a poor job. I tried to make it emcompass 6' to account for the chairs. 4 chairs as pictured. The room is just shy of 16' L and from the peninsula I'll have a 9'4". Are you telling me that I won't have room for a couple of slipper chairs or chaise? Even if the table takes up 8 ft with the chairs out... wouldn't I have room for some small scale loungy thing? Not a full size sofa that you'd nap on with the puppies... that'll be in the family room. I searched to see what was available and I thought a couple of slipper chairs butted together would work. I just measured a couple of my couches and my scale is off... but figure 30" depth by 3' length maybe? Could make an L ... against the peninsula and window? I'll try to use my Live Interior progarm and see if I can approximate

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I am thinking out of the box here... It seems to me the table and chairs and the sun room seating are the most troublesome. If it were my space, I would use a couple of the DR chairs for seating and add one more chair that DH just adores. Then, for the dining table use a square table that expands or a drop-leaf table. In a day's time, it is used, what an hour a day? Push the table against the wall when it is not being used. Another thought - could you use a drop-leaf table as a behind the sofa table? If sun room seating is aimed toward a TV, you could eat and watch the Sunday games.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Are you using the squares of the graph paper grid to equal 1 ft? It seems you are in the kitchen. If so, you show the table at a little over 4 ft wide, which would only include chairs on the sides shoved all the way in, if that. You show less than 1 ft between the table and the window. If/when you're using that chair by the window, you need at least 30" between window and table, pushing the table and the chair on the opposite side into the traffic aisle. The seating furniture you show by the TV is only about 20" deep...Kind of like a piano bench...

Personal preference: I dislike L shaped islands, so that colors my opinion just a bit. (I think they're odd and 'forced.') If you want seating, why not just make a rectangular island with overhang on the family room side?

I'm not too tall either, but table height would hurt my back as a work space. I prefer 33" or so.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought I made the table cover about 6' in the sunroom. Man... I would hate hate hate to get rid of this table because it doesn't work in the space. I looked almost 3 years for that table. Maybe I should just draw a 42" square table and add chairs. Maybe my visual brain will get that right instead. The grid is the same for all. I'll fix the dimensions of the seating.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Sorry, Elyse, I thought it was the chairs you were so attached to.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Both cotehele... I found the table after I bought another one and then sold the one I bought to keep this one. I found the chairs later on ebay and had them shipped then refinished them. I know it's only stuff... but it's probably my favorite furnishings in my home... that and my bedroom set. And don't be sorry... you're taking the time/effort to help me! I fixed the dimensions but didnt' put in the dining chairs. You really don't think it fits? I could make the working part of the island standard height or a little lower for prep... then lower a portion for table height. I don't remember who but I do remember several posters who had tables attached to their islands and I LOVE that look.

I am one stubborn girl... aren't I...

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

I think you're straying a little from the original focus which was keeping things open for that gorgeous view of yours. To me this last layout feels a bit maze like. JMHO. I still like the galley and agree with cothele that you could use your two extra chairs(beautiful, btw) as seating in the sunroom with a small round table between. Then DH could have whatever seating he prefers in another cozy conversation pit in the sunroom.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Sorry to be a Negative Nelly again, but take a look at your L shaped seating in the TV area and see that if one person sat in each spot, their feet and legs would overlap... And there's approx 2 ft between the corner of the dw and the corner of the table...Pretty tight.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK.. I"m gathering the L shaped is not great shakes so ... now... I know this goes against convention but would it be totally unreasonable if I took the frig in the galley layout and put it on the bottom left like it is in the L shaped and U shaped? I could have a glorious expanse of counterspace if I did that. There's always a small under counter frig or frig drawer but that seems like overkill for 2 people. I need to tweak the galley to show the proper depth of the table. I would scoot it up a bit too to give better clearance for the bottom. I do tend to gather my ingredients but there's always that instance when a sauce needs an extra splash of something. If you think about it... most "add on " ingredients aren't really refrigerated though... or is that wishful thinking? I'm imagining that sandwiches and snacks would be made on the end of the island where I'd like to put BB.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Putting the fridge over there would make your island into the dreaded 'barrier island,' and it would drive me crazy. It is so often that anything I want to grab and add is when time is important and I don't want to be circling an island, taking my eyes off the stuff on the stove. So many people here have remodeled their kitchens to eliminate a barrier island, that it seems a bad idea to plan one for a new and forever kitchen. The fridge location's not so bad in the U without counter to navigate around, but the path would completely blocked in the galley.

An undercounter fridge might work, but too much money for too little space for me...As much as a full-size fridge! Since bf/dh wants to keep costs down, that one might be a hard sell.

• jayne s
    15 years ago

There are some narrower refrigerators (Bosch, Liebherr) that would free up some galley space but then you'd probably need a secondary one in your pantry or lower left wall because you were counting on 36-inches.

I'd imagine that in Florida, you'd need a place in your kitchen to be stocked with cold beverages and ice as well as other stuff. I think you also had plans for a [pantry?] freezer so this might be too many refrigeration appliances unless you bring the freezer out and put a refrigerator/freezer on your lower left wall.

jayne

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nah... I don't want to complicate things so much... not worth it. I'll have over 4' of prep space over by the UC oven and drawer space that'll be more straight run then I have now. I'll find space for the 2 extra chairs... there's a corner in the family room, there's the guest bedroom, and there's the sunroom itself. Even teh music room will need a chair. So galley seems to be the favorite with a modified double depth island , narrow cabs on the back side. I think it gives me plenty of storage too.

• jayne s
    15 years ago

One last question, ok 2.

1) The TV location. I think you said "wall-mounted". Is there currently a wall-mounted one there? If not, do you think there will be an significant glare problem?

2) How much traffic goes through the sun room doorway and will the table block it?

jayne

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well jayne... we don't live there now. We rented the house out and now are going to fix it up to live there. I don't know if there will be glare. I doubt it as there is a screen room that backs onto it so there's plenty of overhang. I think the back of the house faces north so there shouldn't be too much glare. You see that little line I have in the layout out back? That's the door ... there are three large windows on all sides. Originally we were going to switch out the 9' back one for a french door but put that on hold for now. I think we'll see how we feel about it after living there with the changes we plan on making. If we want... it's an easy change. I'll scoot the table back some but there should still be plenty of clearance to get out back. It's a small house... but it's also only two of us. I'm never going to get to perfect in this foot print but hope to reach my goal of open, informal, comfortable, and functional.

• jayne s
    15 years ago

Glad to hear it. Sorry for asking pesky questions like this and am glad that they don't seem to be big issues.

Again, good luck with all of this.

jayne

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not pesky at all jayne... in fact, appreciated! Everyone asks questions that help me think about things I don't see. All these great brains... It's Wonderful!!
    Thank you!!!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are so right! I can't believe it's taken me this long to see what you're talking about all this time. My darn table is hanging me up. I'm staying down at the house this weekend and have been standing, staring, and measuring. I NEVER realized how much more space a round table takes up over a rectangle table. You've been telling me and I've not heard you all. If I were to switch out my table to a smaller, narrower, rectangle on; I have so many more of my options that would work. I'm bummed.... but... well... I guess I'll just love my table to death the next couple of years while I'm still in my house and then have the fun of finding the perfect table that will work somewhere in this space. I won't be sharing layout options this weekend with BF/DH. He asked if we can please let it lie for now because he has too much to think about of other thing he has to do. Get ready for the new HUGE shed to be installed, prime and paint the outside of the house, recut the hurricane shutters we picked up for free. Unlike me; he likes to focus on just one job at a time. He always jokes that it must be exhausting being me because my brain never stops and is always thinking of the next thing I have to do. Serves me well as a Mom and a teacher....cause I always have someone/something in front of me I need to take care of. OH WELL... I do love that table but I guess I'll have to love it for now and find a new one to love as well.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

On the other hand, I put a round table in my kitchen, because it allowed me to arrange the chair diagonally, so that the table would take less room. I can have my table much closer to the wall that way, and keep chair backs out of my aisles. Maybe chair arrangement is all you have to change? Not sure if it works in your case, but something to consider.