SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcolo_gw

Tiny '20s kitchen returns!! Vote for a layout!

marcolo
13 years ago

No, not my tiny '20s kitchen--my friend Ellen's. In our last episode, which you can read here. Ellen got a lot of wonderful ideas from you folks. Now she's hired a contractor, narrowed her choices down to two cabinet companies, and is getting ready to lose both her mind and her life savings.

But first, she wants your feedback on her latest plans.

To recap, this is the plan of her first floor (the left side, anyway; LR is over on the right:

Here's the current plan of her kitchen (it doesn't show her handy food storage pantry down the hall):

To refresh your memory, here are a few pics:

Cute, huh?

So, before I unveil the latest plans, here are the catchy bits:

- She has two adorable young kids (she's reading this thread) and a husband

- Husband's one and only request is windows and light on that side wall

- She cooks for her family but hasn't really prepared boeuf a la bourguignonne in quite a....HAHAHAHAHA

- You can assume if another wall isn't moved in the following two plans, it can't be moved (there are stairs and a bath and such butting up against the other inside wall)

OK, she was struggling to make her kitchen work within its existing footprint when she came here and saw plans liked this that finally opened her eyes, and her kitchen:

The idea was to get rid of the pesky outside door, move it to the DR and use the whole kitchen. That's the first plan she wants your opinion on. You'll see why in a sec.

Anyway, working with two different cab companies (and me) she came up with the following different plan.

Voila!

I think this is the floorplan that goes with that rendering:

Couple of things I wanna point out:

- Uppers near the range will have to go bye bye, at least on one side, to accommodate her husband's window. I think he always wants a ready escape route

- They do not intend to all sit at that counter for regular meals; the DR is right there

- I suggested a breadboard under the micro as a landing space, even though they don't nuke much

- The hutch on the peninsula does make one seat a bit awkward but she really wants to display china there

- I put the fridge on the near wall to admit light into the kitchen from the DR, in a vain attempt to prevent the wretched range wall window. Oh well. That fridge would be paneled on the side, and she might put another DR-facing cab or just a furniture hutch there

This is basically the same plan rendered by a different cabinet company KD:

She was all set to go with this basic plan when she got cold feet. Reason is, you'll see the kitchen right when you come in the house, more or less. She's worried she's too messy, sloppy, a pig, a lousy housekeeper, a lazy, slovenly, no-good, derelict--Ahem, sorry there, Ellen. She's nervous about how open the kitchen now is to the DR.

So she went back to the GW plan posted above (you can find a bigger, Technicolor version in her other thread, which you would all remember if you weren't sucking down gin and lemonade, and wondered if that doesn't provide a better sense of separation from her DR.

I don't think it does--not enough to matter. I like her current plan and think it will work for them.

Plus, if you have a good memory, you may recall how that plan sorta morphed into a honkin' island hood over the peninsula. And such.

But what do I know?

The questions are: which plan should Ellen choose? Or is there some other way to give her more separation from the DR? Does she need more separation? What do you think of the plans, period?

Ready, set, go!

Comments (52)