SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

11 Easy Steps to Raise a Brat

ceph
16 years ago

IIKT, that was perfect timing for me to see that link.

THANK YOU!!

I had my BF's son with me last night all on my own and so was the one in charge the whole time... I was wondering if I might have been too strict because I felt like the only word coming out of my mouth was "No" and that he thought the 'rules' were absurd and arbitrary (Things like "Don't run in the parking lot; you could get hit by a car" and "You can only get up when the ref blows the whistle; you have to stay sitting while the hockey game is on" and "No more juice because you already brushed your teeth")

But I feel much better now!

I know where TOS and KK stand on SMs or Dad's GF spending time with the kids on their own... But how would other people be dealing with what's going on for us right now?

My BF is out of the country for two weeks. A__ (who is his 8 yo son) asked if he'd still get to see me while Dad was gone. He asked if we could go to a hockey game (something the three of us often do together) and if I could take him to soccer (Dad and Grandpa are the ones who take him, and Grandpa's gone right now too).

When my BF asked BM about soccer, she said "That would be weird" and he replied "For who? For you or for A__?" (My guy is great) and she mumbled for a minute and never answered, but eventually agreed to it, mostly because she doesn't want to take him.

Skip ahead to the day before BF leaves... At 6 am, a water main breaks and his building floods with 5" of water. We spend all day ankle deep in water and then he gets on a plane at 6 am the next morning. I'm dealing with it all and am thoroughly overwhelmed, but that's another story.

Anyhow, BF told BM about the flood and she told A__. A few days later, he called to ask about the hockey game we planned to go to and started asking me questions about the flood. I could tell he was stressed about what would happen to him with it all, so answered all his questions and said "Dad is going to stay with me for a few months while everything gets fixed, so that means you'll stay at my place too when you're with Dad" etc etc

When I picked him up from Grandma's (BM left town for the weekend at the last minute and dumped him at her mom's) he asked me if he could stay with me for the night. I said "You have to ask Grandma, but it would be OK with me"

Grandma's reply was "Yes! Please! Take him!"

So he stayed at my place, and was very relieved to see that his toys made it through the flood and that he has a place to sleep here (the futon in my living room), and was very good.

What would you have done in my situation? Would you see you SC while your SO was out of town? Would you have said yes or no to asking to stay over? For those of you who are BMs, would you also think it was weird if Dad's wife or GF said they could take the child to soccer while he was out of town?

I'm curious...

Comments (37)