SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupshaped_roses

Make your own grafted roses with T-budding. Step by step pictures

cupshaped_roses
16 years ago

I saw Ann's post about propagating roses with this link:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/propagation/budding/budding.html

I have propagated roses this way during the last 7 years. It is the most common way of producing roses here in Europe. Own root roses are very rare here.

It is most helpful for beginners to see a step by step picture guide about how to do this:

1) Propagate rootstock: use Rosa Multiflora, Rosa Laxa, Rosa Fortuniana cuttings and root plenty of these in trays. Use a rooting powder. After 10 weeks I plant the rooted multiflora cuttings in my former vegetable garden. The rooted cuttings are planted about 10 inches apart in rows and kept well watered. In the spring next year I prune the multiflora roses hard and in July or early August the root stocks are ready to be budded with the cultivar you want to propagate:

2) The canes of the multiflora roses are bent sidewards by a

board and I scrape the soil away exposing the top part of the rooted roses. The top part of the roses are washed clean with a wetted cloth:

{{gwi:237650}}

3) From one of the canes of the cultivar you want to propagate you make an upward cut just below the bud-eye and under the bud:(Use a budding knife or a scalpel):

{{gwi:237653}}

4) Tear the cutted bud-eye away from the cane with a piece of the bark:

{{gwi:237655}}

5) Remove the pith on the inner side of the bud-shield with the knife.

{{gwi:237658}}

{{gwi:237660}}

6) Your budeye is ready:

{{gwi:237662}}

7) Make a horizontal cut in the bark about 1 inch below the part of the root neck from where the canes grow.

{{gwi:237663}}

8) Make a vertical cut from the middle of the horizontal, extending about an inch downwards. You have now made a T-shaped cut in the bark:

{{gwi:237665}}

9) Gently push the bark to one the sides with the knife opening the T-shaped slit:

{{gwi:237667}}

10) Insert the budeye-shield into the slit:

{{gwi:237668}}

11) cut the top part of the shield bark away

{{gwi:237669}}

12) The budeye inserted into place in the T-shaped slit:

{{gwi:237670}}

13) The T-budded eye graft is covered with budding tape and secured with a metal clip:

{{gwi:237671}}

14: Rows of grafted roses:

{{gwi:237672}}

15) After 6 weeks in colder areas probably in climate zones less than 8, I mound soil up about 2-3 inches to protect the graft from frost. In early spring after the snow is gone and the new growth is starting, I cut the top part of the multiflora rootstock away a little less than an inch above the graft. The budding tape will be gone by then (decomposed) and basals will sprout from the bud (making the scion).

{{gwi:237673}}

In warmer zones with barely any winter I think they cut the top part of the rootstock after about 6 weeks.

Some tips.

It is possible to buy rooted rootstocks in bundles. that is easier than making them yourself. Use the right Rootstock for your area (climate zone and soil type). If you plant them early this year you can graft already later this year.

Practice step 3-5! Use some canes from the summer pruning.

Do not allow the back of bud-shield or the T-shaped cut in root necks to become dirty or to dry out. Step 3-13 takes less than 20 seconds with some training. So practice!! My succes rate in the beginning was 3-4 out of 10. Now it is 7-8 out of 10.

Comments (15)