SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sibhskylvr

Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!

sibhskylvr
15 years ago

I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings! Each of us have our own preferred method - but this is the one that seems to work the best for me. Let the cuttings stand in water for 2-3 days - or until the white 'nubbies' appear. Change the water daily! I use cold water right from the tap! And follow this easy method! This method has cut my losses of cuttings to a minimum. I've lost two! And I like that!! :)) I'm sure it was the cuttings fault - as they were very small. That's my story & I'm sticking to it!! Here it is - step by step!

{{gwi:582421}}

Soak Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss in 1/4 teaspoon of Superthrive & 4 teaspoons of H202 in warm water for about 20 minutes.

{{gwi:582423}}

Pick a cutting with the white 'nubbies' showing! We're using 'Creamsickle' at the moment! :).

{{gwi:582424}}

A closer look! A little blurry - but you get the picture!

{{gwi:582425}}

Take Sphagnum Moss - wring it out & start filling the cup! Use it just like you would use a potting soil! When the cup is filled half-way - stand the cutting in the cup!

{{gwi:582426}}

Another view! Cup is filled half-way!

{{gwi:582427}}

Gently finish putting the rest of the Sphagnum Moss into the cup! Label & put it away with the rest of your brug babies!!

{{gwi:582428}}

Another view!

{{gwi:582429}}

Final view!

I use cups with holes in the bottom. So - if you use cups without holes, you'll have to drain the cups by hand. Thought I'd point that out. I also use a 'dummy' cup with a 6" stick in it! rofl! The 6" stick is about the same size as a brug cutting in diameter. I guess it's really not necessary - but hey, it works for me. Wonder if that stick will ever grow?? lol! When the 'dummy' cup dries - I know I need to water. I've not used my moisture meter once this year.

When your first set of green leaves appear - start fertilizing with a water soluble fertilizer at 1/4 strength! I fertilize them weekly. Some fertilize new cuttings, with new root growth, just a couple of times a month.

I'm not saying this is the ONLY method - or the BEST method! I'm just saying it works for me! :)) Everyone has a method they use & like. I think I've tried them all - except the 'layering' method. Who knows? I may have to try that method at some point!

I hope if anyone decides to try this method - they let me know how it works for them! Comparing notes can lead us to hopefully having LESS brug cutting losses! Isn't that the idea??

And that's all folks........

{{gwi:582431}}

Honk! Honk!

Comments (40)