SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ulrike1_gw

BM Cried

ulrike1
14 years ago

Happy New Year, ladies, and I hope you all had lovely holidays. Ours were very nice, with all four of our kids home and we met the new SOs of DH's daughter and mine. It was very sweet; both young men are two-home kids and expressed that they wished their divorced parents got along as well as we all do. (The divorces are young in both their cases,so there's hope.)

But I felt a little guilty thanking them for their kind words, because things have been a little weird, and maybe you guys can help me with perspective like you have in the past. For the past 10 years or so we have dropped his girls off at BM's house on Christmas Eve, come in, have some eggnog, admire BM's new ornaments (her tree is amazing) and then he and I have a quiet, very romantic night (my kids are with their dad also).

This year, OSD has a car, so we figured they would just drive over there--why not? So DH and I were making the pies, me in my cute new nightgown and an apron (another tradition, ha) and the phone rang. It was BM's number so he answered, thinking it was one of the girls, but it was BM--in tears! I think she had had too much eggnog (she almost never drinks) and she was upset because DH hadn't come over! She said it is important to her that the girls see them both together on the night of Christ's birth.

Now in the first place, we are atheists and that's been a source of conflict between the two of them for ages. And in the second place, he has never done that without me along, and she is married as well--but DH said she sounded like it was just the two of them and the girls or something. And I am sure the girls don't care at all--they always rush off with their stepsibs as soon as we show up at BM's house.

I didn't say a word about it (thanks, you guys, for helping me see this is truly the best policy). But does it seem weird to you that she made that call to my DH? And of course I am overthinking, what about next year? Should we go? I know it's a nice gesture but I am still feeling the urge for us to separate more from BM now that the kids are grown. Should I even talk to DH about how he feels about it?

She hasn't called since. (I think I am glad about that.)

Comments (13)