SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurels4u

Feeling worked over by DH & SS

laurels4u
17 years ago

I'm new to the boards and have been searching for a place to vent some of my pent up feelings as well as gain some advice. Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom will greatly be appreciated!

My DH & I dated 3-1/2 years before marrying eight months ago. I have an 11 y.o. daughter. DH has an 11 y.o. son. DH always saw my DD but I was never allowed to see his son. DH's mother decided it wouldn't be "good practice" since DH had custody of the son and it would make the BM mad if she found out I was spending time with them. Before he asked me to marry him, DH actually asked son if we were allowed to get married and son approved or else we never would've married. During that 3-1/2 years I saw son maybe a total of ten brief times but all I ever heard was how wonderful he was: He does so.....o many chores and he's polite, and he helps out and he's happy, mild-mannered. On the other hand, I also was told he had ADHD but took medicine to control it and that he had trouble in school - he often hid his progress reports and report cards from his dad be/c he failed everything. Not a big deal be/c I'm a teacher so I'm used to ADHD but NOT the sneakiness or lies that were associated with the school work (among other things). I figured DH & I could help him out with the school issues once we were married.

As soon as we married and moved in together, I quickly realized either my DH or my SS had duped me. The child my DH had described was not in our house. The child that was in our house slept in until noon or after, didn't get out of bed and played his video games from the bed, until his father came home. Meanwhile, my DD and I were busting our humps cleaning and setting up our new house. A few times I had asked him to do something, he would do it (half-assed so I would end up doing it over) but then would fly in to his room and lock the door behind him fearing I might ask him to do something else!

DH eventually got mad that I was putting all of my time and effort in to cleaning and cooking and doing school work, so I made a chore chart and husband approved it and we put it up on the fridge. Equal jobs for all in the family. Two weeks later, DH comes to me and says SS doesn't like doing his chores and we needed to do something about it so I got so mad I tore it down and began to do them all again on my own. Then DH says I'm not spending enough time with him again so the chore chart is up again and SS does what he wants, when he wants, if he wants.

I teach in the school our children attend. So many of SS's teachers tell me daily that SS isn't doing anything, doesn't do his HW, doesn't pay attention, etc. I respond with "Call his dad." Which they don't, so I get mad and tell DH and then I'm the bad guy. SS does not take his ADHD meds and fails almost all of his subjects. DH made this situation worse by saying that SS had NEVER acted like this before and had always been on honor roll. DUH! DH had already told me in the last three years that this was the same crap he had been pulling. LIES! Then SS decided he would tell DH that my DD was causing him to fail and forget his HW EVERY day be/c she was being mean to him. Well, I ripped in to her then ripped in to her teachers and all of the teachers said that she helps SS every day and she has NEVER said one unkind word or shown one unkind act towards SS. I told DH that SS doesn't get to use my DD as a scapegoat for his actions anymore and SS earns what he deserves. Next time, he'll have to find someone else to blame his shortcomings on.

I don't know what to do be/c when I try to approach DH, he gets defensive and appears to be in denial or else he lies for SS. If there is anything in this world that I find morally disgusting, it's lying and I cannot stand the lying anymore. I could go on and on about all of lies that are told in this house but I'd run out of room.

Any suggestions? Related experiences? Advice?

Comments (7)