SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
byebyemind

Losing it

byebyemind
15 years ago

I just found this forum and really hope I can get some good advice because as you can see from my user name I am losing my mind. I am a mom and a stepmom. When I met my husband I had one child and he had two already. We were both the custodial parents of our children. We had a wonderful relationship and after about a year decided to introduce our children to eachother. They got along pretty good. My child and one of his are close in age, the other one of his is a few years younger.

I think this was quite an adjustment for us all. After another year we got engaged and decided to all move in together. We lived together for almost a year before our wedding and now we have been married for a little over 2 years.

Anyways this last year has been the roughest. I feel like we argue all the time. I feel like my husband is constantly on my childs case and always correcting my child. But when I correct his children he interrupts me and even screams. Last night it got so bad we got into a screaming match.

I feel like his children have this bond, as they should. But that my child is the outsider. If his two are playing together and my child wants to join the one close in age to my child stops playing. When my child tries to get that child to play games the answer is always no. But when the younger sibling asks them to play the same thing the answer is always yes.

My breaking point was last night. I was cleaning the kitchen and talking to my husband. My child comes into the kitchen and says "I am trying to watch tv and ____(the child close in age) is clapping and stomping their feet in front of the tv. I asked _____ to stop and ______ did not even pay any attention and kept doing it" So I called _______ into the kitchen and ______ began arguing with me as I was asking why they would continue to be loud in front of the tv when someone made it known they were trying to watch something. ______ began arguing and my husband jumped in to tell ___________ to stop arguing.

After that I began addressing the original point with _______ and told them that it was rude that they kept ignoring the same person whenever they talked. I said it was very mean and they were acting like a complete jerk when they do that.

My DH then began screaming and bringing up something my child did in the past that my child got in trouble for. I pointed out that my child gets reprimanded for being a jerk and his should too. He said he already reprimanded his child and I pointed out that it was not for the original problem. He reprimanded the child for arguing not for the initial being rude when someone else asked them to stop doing something. He then just began screaming about unrelated things and refused to go back to the original point with his child and said my child is not the boss and can't tell anyone what to do!!

I feel like whenever I try to talk to his children about their poor behavior he deflects onto something my child did in the past.

I do not feel I was wrong in wanting to talk to his child about purposely being loud and obnoxious when my child was trying to watch something on tv even after my child asked his to stop.

So last night I told him that unless certain conditions were met I wanted a divorce. These are the conditions:

*If I can not correct his children then he needs to not correct my child. I told him that if my child is doing something wrong then he can tell me in private and I will decide how to handle it.

*I told him no yelling. I will not be yelled at and engage in a screaming match again. If he wants to yell he can find someone else to do it with.

*I told him that I am tired of his mean spirited sense of humor. His way of joking with the kids and me has become bullying I think. He takes something that he does not like that we did and tries to laugh about it. Now the kids have started joking with eachother meanly and he yells at them.

*I told him that I want him to sensor what the kids watch. He will turn on Family Guy or R rated movies while the kids are awake and let them watch them with him. I think it is selfish and wrong. When the kids are awake I think we should focus on them and not on adult shows.

He slept on the couch and we have not talked since. Now I am at work and do not know how to feel or what to do.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? What do I do?

Comments (9)