SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Swing arm vs under cabinet lighting for bedside?

texasgal47
10 years ago

I'm having a custom cabinet wall system, and night stands, built for my tiny bedroom; all pieces painted in soft white. The wall cabinets will be 24"w x 42"h x 12"d with a valance connecting the two above the bed to form something like a bed alcove. The wall cabinets are to have plain mirror installed in the doors. There should be about a 30" high open area between the night stands and the wall cabinets above. I'm going to mirror this area and frame it with mirror molding painted to match the cabinets (area about 24" w x 30"h).

Style wise, the room is transitional. The cabinets will be simple shaker, the double bed is cherry and the top surface of the night stands will be cherry. Bedding is soft gold from a Candice Olson collection with sparkly metallic threads & lots of glam.

My question involves the lighting. Plan A is to mount traditional brass swing arm wall sconces with pleated fabric shades onto the wall mirror. Plan B is to add a light rail to the wall cabinets and mount under cabinet led or micro fluorescent lighting fixtures (in the warm 2700 lumen range). Plan A would be the most attractive but to me, plan B is more functional for reaching reading material and drinks on the table surface. My interior designer says under cab lights looks too much like a kitchen. Any thoughts?

Comments (10)