SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galleyette_gw

Upper Cabinets vs. Range Hood? Help!

galleyette
14 years ago

Okay, I know for most people this is not a necessary trade off, but I'm getting sweaty palms at the thought of sacrificing all the upper cabinets that will have to go to make room for a 36'' hood. The initial trauma was finding something that wouldn't mean one of the ridiculously tall people in this house was in danger of losing an eye. I managed to track down a Kobe model with rounded corners, and realized along the way that an 'under cabinet' hood really doesn't allow for much in the way of upper cabinet space.

We are ardent cooks and currently have an absolutely ancient JennAir downdraft that came with the house. We have dreamed for years of the luxury of 'real' ventilation. But we're dealing with a galley kitchen, and the upper cabinets that are currently in place house absolutely everything it takes to generate dinner every night.

I don't want to have to go to some kind of pop-up downdraft, believe me. Is there some way to vent a range hood that doesn't eliminate functional cabinetry above?

Comments (28)