SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
less_lisamarie

Complicated StepFamily Situation

less_lisamarie
16 years ago

Hi

Happy New Year to everyone, and thanks for a very lively forum.

I met my belle december 06, and we moved together around september 07. We both have children: she has 3 kids (boy 9; girl 13 and girl 23). I have a girl (11) and a boy who is 9. In general, all kids are still in the process of adjusting to their new family life, with varying degrees of success.

For about 4 months now, I noticed that my belle easily picks on my daughter. She is quick to harshly correct her when she does something wrong -- most often I keep quiet to keep the peace since that is how she corrects her own kids. According to her, that his how she talks, and it does not necessarily mean she is angry.

Of late, her issue has been that my daughter is using every opportunity she gets to seek attention from me, her Dad. Admittedly, my daughter is not too organized, and sometimes would run up to me asking if I have seen her pen/pencil or other stuff. My belle gets annoyed or irritated when my daugther does that -- she claims she is using such "tactics" to get attention from me. For example, every morning, before my daughter goes to school, she finds some reason to knock on our bedroom door to ask me some question, and my belle finds it irritating. I have asked my daughter to be a bit independent, and get better organized, but she seems to want attention from me. Finally, one morning in early December, after my daughter missed her school bus, my belle got angry with her because she felt she deliberately missed the bus so that she could get me to pick her up to school.

I spoke to my belle about the incident that. I told her that my daughter might be seeking more attention from me for obvious reasons: her Mom, a drug addict is no longer in her life, hence she might be clinging to the only certain part of her life -- that is me. It might also be her adjustment to a new family life situation -- she might be feeling lost since she and my belle's daughter do not get along too well, hence again, the need to cling to her Dad. So I suggest that she can correct my daughter, but sometimes, it makes a difference if it is done in a gentler but firm manner. I cited various instances in which her own kids scream or talk back at her when she tries to correct them because all they have known is being shouted at, and my kids hardly talk back at her.

She seemed to understand our discussion, although I felt she would not want to interfere in my daughter's affairs unless it is absolutely necessary -- and indeed, that is how it has been for the past 2 months. She only talks to her when it is necessary. Instead, she continues picking on her

For example, when we noticed increases in our energy bill, she indicated that it was because my daughter leaves her ceiling fan on all night, even though she knows that all the other kids leave night lights on all night, and I even leave my TV and computer on all the time -- she couldn't find any other reason, but point the fingers at my daughter. Just this evening, my belle and myself were watching TV, and we both fell asleep in the couch. Apparently we both woke up some minutes later and continued watching the TV, although my belle thought or assumed I was still sleeping. Moments later my daughter approached me to ask me a question -- as she was approaching me, my belle reprimanded her harshly asking her: "Do you want to come and wake your Daddy up?" At that time, I was already up from my nap, and asked my daughter what she wanted. She explained, and i gave her direction she needed.

I am concerned about these dynamics, and I am not sure how to handle it. My belle is content with her family situation: all her friends tell her (and I think she believes it too) that she has secured a good professional man for herself, and with his help, the entire family has moved and settled into a beautiful home. Hence to her and outsiders, all is ok. But deep within me, I am not happy, as I see that she cannot take or deal with my daughter's closeness to me.

To make matters more complicated, I am HIV-positive and so is one of my kids. I explained this to her before we started our relationship and she said she was ok with it. Recently, she got to know that my kids are aware of our positive status, and she is seriously concerned about what might happen if her children get find out (you know, kids talk). this has added to my depth of confusion, because it looks to me as if we are building castles in the air: i try to hide our medications; we take them in secret because we don't want others in the house to find out because of the stigma. At the same time, i feel one day, this "dirty secret" would come out, and it would devastate their world (we come from a culture that extremely stigmatizes this health condition), and her kids will be quick to tell her Ex and family about it -- a situation she would rather avoid. I wouldn't want to bring such a shame on herself and her kids, hence I feel like just running out before the chips start falling.

I decided to hurriedly move in with her and establish residency first because I believed I loved her, and secondly eventual marriage to her would be useful in my immigration process. At this point, as the realities of family life begin to unfold, as her fears about accidental disclosure of our positive status is manifest, I am questioning my decision.

I want to tell her that when our lease expires later this year, I wouldn't want to renew it, and would want to move out (1) because of the issues surrounding potential/possible accidental disclosure of my positive status, and (2) that I am making the decision to stay involved in the relationship out of need. Sincerely, this is how I feel. I want to be ready to marry and not be forced by circumstances into it.

How do I handle this situation? Thanks for any advice...

best regards, Less

Comments (7)