SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phyllis_philodendron

Disgusted, discouraged with home sewing!!

I don't know why I'm so surprised by this .... sorry, but I need to rant!

I just want someone to say it out loud - that the Big Three patternmakers are smoking something! Whatever it is, I want some of it!

I cut out a pattern for a pair of capris tonight. In the miserable heat we've been having, I neglected to pay close attention to the finished garment measurements on the outside flap of the envelope. I took my measurements, compared them against a pair of nice ready to wear pants I had, and cut out, pinning madly.

Then I held the cut out pieces up to my body and realized before I ever got anywhere that there was no way they would fit. I looked at the finished measurements to see what their version of it should be, and they consider a size 14 to have a 28" waist. WHAT woman size 14 has a 28" waist?! THat would be more like maybe a 6, or 8 in ready to wear, right? I take a 12-14 in RTW and the @*%&@ pattern envelope said, according to my waist alone, that I would take a 20!!!

I was so disgusted. I took out all the pins and threw everything, pattern and fabric, in the trash. It was just some stuff I had that I never used, but still. I am so utterly discouraged that I don't know if I ever want to sew again sometimes.

And yet I've noticed that in baby clothes, the patterns are HUGE compared to the RTW sizes. I cut out a pattern for a nice top for my daughter, who at 10 months is very petite, and compared to the same style top in RTW, it's FREAKING huge and looks like a 3T! What on earth!

Sorry, this is gettin' long. I'm tired, hot, and just not in the mood. I'm sure all you experienced sewers have figured this out long ago (as I have, too, but am in serious denial, I guess) and wonder what patterns you use or how you alter the really wacked out ones to actually fit something other than a twig or amorphous sack of potatoes. *sigh*

I'm so depressed! :(

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor