SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_nj

Discouraging article about one woman's attempt to go native

ann_in_nj
16 years ago

Here is a link to an article in The Record (northern NJ). It sounds as though town officials have been badgering this woman who departs from the usual suburban lawn paradigm.

I'd like to help here out. What are the best ways to defuse these situations? She is apparently trying to educate her neighbors.

The link is so long that you will need to paste it together (qstr follows php? directly)

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk0NSZmZ2JlbDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NzE2OTQyNiZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTM=

Comments (37)

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

If education hasn't worked, which it seems is happening then one needs to be armed with previous court precedents.

Unless the property in question is subject to HOA covenants and restrictions, we have certain constitutional property rights to grow what we want on our property as long as it doesn't interfere with the health, safety and welfare of the public.

Key court cases that persecuted landscapers need to be familiar with include:

City of New Berlin, WI V. Hagar.

Montgomery County, Maryland v. Stewart

Little Rock, Arkansas v. Allison

The Chicago 5

Here is a link to a John Marshall Law Review article that discusses these cases and provides the complete summary of the New Berlin case, Vicki Wozniak needs to make sure the judge in her case is familiar with these other court cases.

I don't think she would need to prove the point all over again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Law Review Article

• ann_in_nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your response, Joepyeweed!

• Related Discussions

First-time gardener discouraged by cold snap. What now?

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi Steffie! Your experience with bermuda grass reminds me why I HATE bermuda grass. :) My brother put down black plastic (plain old black plastic like trash bags are made of, not the fabric mulch type) on a newly tilled flower bed and planted perennials right through it. When he removed that plastic FIVE YEARS LATER, there were still those long bermuda runners everywhere. I never try to make a new lasagna bed without removing the sod first, having learned the hard way. I found it interesting that your grandmother raised her crops in stages. I do the same thing, and have never met anyone here who does it in the precise, regimented way that I do. I'll use tomatoes as an example since they are the crop I grow the most of. I start my earliest seedlings, about 70% of my main season tomato crop, on Super Bowl weekend. Then, six weeks later I start the other 30%. I plant out in cycles, beginning in mid to late March most years, and get the late ones from the second planting into the ground by late April. Then, in mid to late-May I start seeds for fall tomatoes, or take and root cuttings in mid-June. I get the fall tomatoes in the ground in late June to early July. In late August I start seeds for a few winter tomatoes in containers, generally small-sized ones like Window Box Roma, Red Robin, Yellow Canary, etc. These tomatoes in pots can go into the garage or house during cold spells and extend the fresh tomato season quite a bit. I do similar succession plantings of most veggies, including beans (every three weeks), corn (every 5 weeks), melons (generally an early planting in mid-April and a late planting in late May), summer and winter squash, peppers, okra and black-eyed peas. I do the same thing with flowers. Take sunflowers. I plant different ones for each season. So, my spring sunflowers which will begin blooming in May most years, are some of the ones lightest in color like Italian White and Moonshadow and any of the ones with the lemon-yellow petals. The summer-blooming ones, which usually begin blooming in July, are the really golden-colored ones, of which there are many varieties. The late-summer to fall blooming ones are those in tawny fall-type colors like Autumn Beauty, Earthwalker, and any of the red-flowered ones like Chianti or Prado Red. So, I always have flats of replacement plants started and it is easy to put them in the ground and plug them into holes in my garden at any time. It can get rather complicated to keep track of what needs to go where and at what time, but by staggering plantings, I have found I can have a wonderful garden each and every week of the summer. Right now, I am starting flower seeds in small paper cups. These plants will go into the ground in mid-May. The first week in May, I start flower seeds that will go into the ground in June for blooms beginning in July. And so it goes, on and on and on. With all the stages of planting, I always have something new coming along and that pleases me. Dawn
    ...See More

Fun NYTimes Article on Southern Heirloom Bulbs

Q

Comments (3)
    I've placed an order with them from reading this article. I ordered oxblood lilies, red spider lily, and some jonquils. I'm all for supporting Texas companies. Too many of them are way north, and their stuff struggles to survive down here in Texas.
    ...See More

interesting article about cilantro

Q

Comments (72)
    Naptha? Isn't that kerosene? Yuck! Oh, right. Aldehydes. I guess that goes. Some O-Chem hydrocarbon petroleum thing. (shudder) I use 7th Generation Free & Clear. It doesn't smell like much of anything. And glycerine handsoaps with flower scents (rose or cucumber). (Method green tea + aloe pump is foul (much too much tea) but the color looks good with my powder room sink top and the guests don't seem to mind.) MaryS, thanks for bringing up the cumin thing! It's fine in a complex curry, but it tastes like dirt to me on it's own, and I can't eat samosas, and things like that, that are heavy on cumin. Or taco meat without the rest of the taco (tomatoes help). On the other hand, I love turmeric. It's been decades since I did this, if I had a soup that just wouldn't come together, I'd dump some turmeric into it. I called it my yummifing agent. Which probably makes up for the cumin in the curry. :) Hey! Speaking of tea, I wonder if this all that we're talking about is also why some people think green tea ice cream is a good idea? I don't even like the smell on my hands from the soap, and think green tea ice cream is an insult to Flossie. Though back when I did caffeine, I didn't mind drinking green tea as tea.
    ...See More

Disgusted, discouraged with home sewing!!

Q

Comments (20)
    I still can't remember that woman's name but I guess it's not that important! it just bugs me though. ;) But this has been probably two years ago that I saw her stuff (probably longer than that, even) so I fear there's no chance of recalling the info! LOL I did get some books out of the library and so far am liking Sandra Betzina's "Fast Fit." I looked at another one of hers and she's pretty straightforward and easy to understand. another one I'm looking at is "The Easy Guide to Sewing Jackets" by Cecilia somebody and it's ok, pictures are good; but directions sometimes go over my head. I'm afraid in this case it's not going to take a whole lot to do that, LOL. She uses the pinfit method of pattern fitting instead of cutting out from muslin. I'm not sure it's any easier or less time-consuming than fitting it in muslin first. I also like Sandra Betzina's idea of making the dressmaker shell that the pattern companies put out. I was looking at Butterick's website and the new Connie Crawford "Ready to Wear sized patterns." I had to laugh - the measurement chart she provided sounded exactly like the pattern companies old ones! LOL That surely accomplishes a lot, doesn't it? *sigh* I'm certainly glad most ready to wear clothing doesn't fit this way, or we'd all have to go around naked! :O
    ...See More
  • kwoods
    16 years ago

Link to article

Sounds like a very nice yard to me.

• silent1pa
    16 years ago

Sounds to me like she should sue the township for harrasement.
    That and the neighbor who is doing all the complaining since that is gonna be why the township is pushing her around. Makes me wanna go out in the field and collect some seed to play johnny weedseed in her neighbors lawns.

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

That's terrible. Though...you never know until you see photos of the place just how messy she keeps it. I mean... I live in a middle-class suburban lot and although I have planted an all native woodland garden in the woods and the rest of my property is heavily laden with natives and non-native plants shrubs and trees, I 'do' tend to keep it as tidy as possible to avoid what this lady in the article is experiencing. I 'LOVE' the naturalized look and have many books on the subject but living in subburbia, you have to know that if you let things get too wild looking people aren't going to like it. I certainly feel that it's none of their freak'n business but to avoid conflict, I regularly pick up, or rake up dead flower heads, fallen leaves, twigs and weed by hand to keep the little bit of lawn I have from looking messy. I hate turf-grass but being in the city I don't want to create any controversy so I keep swaths of grass wide enough for the mower to cut the lawn and that's it. I keep it weed free by pulling or digging out the weeds and my little bits of grass are as nice looking as those who have professional lawn companies come to take care of their lawns. Every year I lose a little more grass and add a little more shrubs and by next year I will have no more than little green pathways winding about my property. It's neat and tidy and if the neighbours don't like it (one has already said she hates it...too f'ing bad I say) that's THEIR problem.

I hope that lady can find help/support from sources such as the Ministry of Natural Resources, local horticultural societies etc... to help her with her legal problem. How sad that it got to that point.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• waplummer
    16 years ago

Some years ago there was proposed a controversal housing project with a large number of people vehemently opposed to it. I unkindly made a remark to a neighbor about her landscaping- the basic minimum foundation planting. She retorted and referred to my "jungle". For some time afterward I would go on a safari after dinner.

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder waplummer ;o) I have a neighbour (24 yrs old mind) who thinks she can tell everyone on the street how to landscape their yard and then is ever so kind as to tell everyone when they are also "ruining the neighbourhood" with their chosen garden designs. I live right next door to her and she's already told me in the course of 3 years that I'm ruining the neighbourhood with my red mulch (which isn't really red, but a dull cedar colour) and that my landscaping should be in the woods... and DUH! We live in a f'ing WOODLOT!!!! She is the type that moves to the woods to cut down trees and plant grass and that's exactly what she's done. %$#@!

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Well, I have a house on a mt. top with 26 ac. I left it all natural except, of course, for the footprint of the house and the driveway. Our property is covered with trilliums, jacks, lady slippers, orchids, etc. (You get the picture.) Several years ago people began buying up here, cutting down the trees (the view, of course!) and clear cutting at least four ac. around the house. Then they planted grass, hostas, and other nice but not native plants. No more trilliums, no more ferns, no more Gray's or turk caps lilies. They have made their area look like any suburb in the southeast. Why come to the mts. and then destroy the very part of the landscape that attracted a person in the first place? Go figure. It is not just in the neighborhoods that people have very different ideas of beauty. Oh, now they want to pave the road. What's next? Cable TV??

• chocolateis2b8
    16 years ago

Just my 2 cents. First, if I was ever forced to live in a city limit again, I would be the renegade neighbor who goes as natural as possible, I wouldn't have a blade of grass. When I have to visit town, I have seen a few people who also enbrace this and personally I think their yards are lovely, I've even been so bold as to knock on their doors and ask to tour their garden. Granted there is a difference between a weed patch and a true native garden.

But it is ncrescue that prompted me to respond. It is a shame your new neighbors could not realize that you can have the best of both worlds. I only have 4 acres, 3 of which I garden, the other acre is given to whatever rescued livestock I happen to have at the moment. When I bought the place 20 years ago it was 'professionally' landscaped, meaning, formal hedges and straight lines. I have slowly got rid of all that as I can afford to do so, my gardens are very informal to say the least. I have my hostas, I'm a collector of them, but within all those are native wildflowers and ferns I have rescued from sites being developed. Most native wildflower die back by mid summer, it's then the hosta's are the showpiece, I get the glorious spring show of wildflowers and the later show of my extensive hosta collection. Want a lovely picture, have trillium, toothworth, trout lilies, bloodroot, spring beauties, jack in the pulpits, ect, blooming in the middle of newly emerged hostas and then have the hostas come to full glory as the native wildflowers die back. Been doing this for years, they do not compete with each other. I have a wonderful herb garden of culinary herbs, but in within those are herbs that are food sources for native butterfly cats, and I take great pleasure in watching my cats grow, they almost become pets to me. To me milkweed of several varieties is a beautiful plant, lovely flowers, pretty leaves, more than welcome in my gardens, even the ones eaten up by Monarch cats. I have them growing right next to ornamentals.

I won't climb on my soapbox about other issues such as organic gardening at this point, you wouldn't shut me up, lol. I'm just trying to say you can mix the old with the new if you really want to. I do my best to keep the old alive, but I also move forward, I am a avid gardener, I love all plants. Still it all seem to work, or least works to my standard of beauty, my little 4 acres is a wildlife hot spot, and that works for me, even as I'm cursing the barn swallows that nested in my garage and mess on my car, lol.

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Chocolate, Thanks for your thoughts. I, too, have hostas on other property. (I did say they were nice plants.) I guess I was complaining about people who take out valuable plants in an ecosystem because they are considered weeds to them. As for loving all plants, Sorry, I cannot say that. Japanese honeysuckle, lugustrum (privet), and Japanese stilt grass cause me a lot of grief on the Piedmont property. At least they have not invaded the mountains...yet.

• chocolateis2b8
    16 years ago

LOL ncrescue, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I did understand what you were saying about the people developing around you and taking out the beautiful native to plant only ornamentals, I agree with you, it's a shame. When I think about how much work I have put into reintroducing natives, it breaks my heart to see them plowed under, I'm the weird lady who goes in just before the bulldozer and digs up the natives, that's how I got all of mine. I was just trying to say it is a shame they couldn't see the beauty in the natives and work with them. You don't know how much I would love to have a ton of trillium, they are my all around favorite flower in the whole world. I have a few I rescued, but they are so slow to spread.

And yes, you are right, I may have said I love all plants, but I too have my 'pest' plants that I would about give my eyes teeth to get rid of. That's part of the problem with organic gardening, pulling weeds and mulching does not work on plants that I swear reseed the second they emerge from the ground or have roots that reach all the way to China and sprout again if you leave a microscopic peice of a hair root. I pretty much consider dandilions a mild weed compared to the quick weed I picked up in some livestock beding straw I composted and spread on the gardens, burdocks carried in on the rescued horse, or the tall bellflower that came with the property.

• fossilbob
    16 years ago

Many native plants take years to bloom and set seed, and a second to destroy. Friends sold their lake-front property (filled with North Woods wildflowers, including orchids). Passing through the area a year later, they were told to visit their old property because the new owners had done "wonderful things" with it. Yep...completely obliterated! A perfect bluegrass (alien weed grass!) lawn, with typical nursery ornamentals. A perfect example of someone moving out into the woods just to bring suburbia with them (and they also have to put up bright lights 'cause they're afraid of the dark:)

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Yeah, forgot about the ourdoors light part. Fortunately, the folks on the mt. who DID put in outdoor lights are far enough away from our property so that I can still see the stars at night, which I cannot do in the Piedmont due to lights from the nearby city.

• fossilbob
    16 years ago

The Amish around here get disgusted with the "English" (as they call us:) moving into the country, turning the land into lawn, putting up lights (the Amish don't need lights) and thoroughly destroying the night sky and the country scene for everyone.

Back on the original subject...my yard is virtually all wildflowers...the neighbor's yard is "golf course lawn". He's not REAL happy with that, but...

Urbana is definitely a garden-friendly place, and many yards have little or no lawn at all. In some places it's just Creeping Charlie, but in many yards it's anything from natives to hostas. A drive around takes you past Bloodroot, Bluebell, Blazing Star,Butterflyweed, and Asters... depending on the time of year.

We did have a similar situation a decade or so ago when someone WAS cited for their yard (made the papers..he was a lawyer), but in that case he had allowed shrubbery to block the sidewalk...people were having to walk in the street!

• flgargoyle
    16 years ago

ncrescue- Trust me, if those folks could level the mountains (to improve the view), they probably would! We have 7 acres in NW SC, and we plan to disturb it as little as possible when we build. Our 'landscaping' is going to be almost all native, with an eye towards letting it gradually return to its former state. We made an interesting discovery- in the winter, when the leaves are off the trees, we have a nice mountain view. But rather than mow all the trees down to have a permanent view, we'll keep it as is, and look forward to the view changing with the seasons! It's been proven that when presented with a beautiful view constantly, after a while, you don't see it at all, but if you only see it occasionally, it remains special in your eyes. So we'll get to 'rediscover' our view every fall, and retain the splendor of nature always.

• silent1pa
    16 years ago

If that lady wanted to let her lawn turn to a giant weedbed than that is her right. It doesn't matter if it is sloppy or messy. It is her land. She owns it. If we allow to put restrictions on what is allowed to grow on others land than we should all have dirt lawns. I have a neighbor who's entire lawn (perhaps an acre) is entirely covered in types of ivy. No exageration ... a driveway, a house and an acre of ivy. Not even a tree. Guess what? I am all for it "for them". Blah or not they save alot of money on mowing I'm sure. It's not my place to tell them what to do with the land as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I took out some norway maples from my yard and my neighbor got mad cause it was blocking his gazebo from my yard view so I was nice. I planted six nice new eight foot tall Mulberries. Ha-Ha should of kept his mouth shut. To think I was gonna put redbuds in til he opened his mouth. All that nice about to be purple wood but boy are mulberries tasty.

• fossilbob
    16 years ago

Has anyone heard the outcome of this? She was supposed to be in court on August 28th.

• barton
    16 years ago

I can relate. We bought a house with 5 acres of oak-hickory woods. A vacant 5 acre lot next door was woods too, till someone bought it and bulldozed it. That's it just bulldozed it. Never built a house. The nice thing was, the prairie was starting to come back. Then someone else bought it, bulldozed it again, and built a house. No landscaping, guess they can't afford it. Why not leave things alone if you aren't going to do something with it now? Maybe the prairie grass will come back if they can leave it alone for a while.

The neighbors on the other side ripped out trees to put in a swimming pool. The pool is surrounded by banana trees (In Oklahoma!) and non-hardy hibiscus; evidently they have money to burn. The few trees they have left have been thinned so they can mow under them. They "cleaned out" all the dead leaves and brush under them. I can predict what that dirt will look like in a couple of years if they keep mowing. They have not one but THREE large lights on tall poles. She made some sort of comment about how she wasn't really into the "natural look".

The dirt around here is terrible red clay mixed with sandstone. The only way you get non-natives go grow here is to import some expensive-ass dirt. Usually full of weeds. Their lawn looks sparse. It's bermuda grass, awful stuff but a reasonable choice if you want a lawn in this area.

I quit mowing except around the house (fire danger) and the 15-foot strip along the road and the strip bordering the neighbor's property. The big bluestem is coming back, along with other native grasses. The smooth sumac makes a beautiful display in the fall with its red leaves. Coreposis, coneflower, ironweed, helianthus hirsutus, butterfly pea, baptisia, aesclepius are all coming back. I didn't plant them. Plus lots of things that I don't know the names of. I leave the dead trees for the woodpeckers, unless the tree poses a danger if it falls. Pileated woodpeckers still make the rounds, but not for long if the rest of the neighborhood goes the way of the places adjacent to me. I haven't seen the quail in several years.

I'm not 100% native and never will be. I did make a concession to my veggie garden, and have a big zinnia patch near the house for the butterflies. The zinnias will be replaced with natives. I thought I wanted a fruit tree but I may just put in a patch of sand plums; no spraying or watering or fertilizing.

• ann_in_nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It looks as though a compromise was made- nobody is entirely happy with the result. Thank you for so many interesting responses. Link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Deal Spares Hefty Fine

• msmarieh
    16 years ago

Here's a picture of the woman in her yard (not sure if it is before or after), from one of the articles:

This picture shows her in front of her yard after she cleaned it up a little:

{{gwi:1062806}}

• msmarieh
    16 years ago

Another after picture:

{{gwi:1062807}}

• msmarieh
    16 years ago

Another after picture:

{{gwi:1062807}}

• chazparas
    16 years ago

I hate to say it but the place is a mess. Broken clotheslines and a lot of other "stuff" around in addition to the plants. I'm a strong believer in live and let live, but I wouldn't want her next to my place. You can have a backyard habitat and not have it be a mess. Look how close those houses are to each other.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

I am in the camp that, if you choose to live in an area where the homes are close together and where other people have to look at your property and what you plant - or don't plant - you should conform in some way to the overall aesthetic of the neighborhood. To me, this also involves painting your home, replacing the roof when needed, and other such things. YOU might not care about that, but others do, and it is the neighborly thing to do. If you don't want to "blend in," there are thousands of places where you can move where you won't be under the microscope.

I always feel bad for people when I see a neighbor with old cars littering his property, or shingles falling off, or other eyesores. I realize a native landscape is not necessarily an eyesore, and in many cases is beautiful, but the owner should still consider the neighbor's reactions when tending to it.

I know my opinion might not be popular here, but that is how I feel.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

I certainly feel old cars and litter certainly isn't the same thing as gardening.

I think we have been brainwashed to think a mowed manicure lawn looks nice and everything else looks icky. ITs a bit communistic to think that we all have to conform...

The last two pictures, to me, look like she was working in the garden. The hose is strung out I would guess that its not always that way. Even the most manicured cottage garden can look messy while the gardener is watering, mulching, weeding etc.

The first two pictures look very nice and I would assume those are the front yard.

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

It's a matter of the appearance affecting neighbors' property values.
    1/8 acre is quite small and houses are very close. Home ownership is a huge investment and I cannot fault those living in the vicinity for not being happy about the situation.

What percentage of potential buyers would select a property with that view?

• fossilbob
    16 years ago

Think how offensive it is to some folks to sterilize a place, and cover it with an alien weed grass (Kentucky Bluegrass).

I've long said you should have to get a permit to plant it!

A home is a place to live and enjoy life. If one's view of a house is as just an "investment"...well, fine. But people shouldn't impose restrictions based on their perceptions on MY property. Safety is one thing...esthetics based on ignorance is another!

The city, of course, lied...claiming mosquitoes bred in the yard (they breed in water!). Why should ignorant people make the decisions?

I'll bet on a hot and sunny day, her yard is a cool and green sanctuary...I know MINE sure is! I can look from out of my "woodland" to my neighbor's harsh, sun-baked yard just a few feet away. Kinda' sad, really...

• alenka
    16 years ago

She does have a pond though, according to the article linked in the original post. And a pond can very well be a breeding site for mosquitoes, if she is not taking measures against that. I know when my neighbors were leaving empty buckets outside, and they would fill up with rain water, they were full of mosquito larvae, and there were a lot of mosquitoes in the yard. I know in a pond they would be somewhat controlled by their natural predators, but still you would have a lot of mosquitoes, not something you want next to your house at all times, especially if you have young kids. I'm not saying that woman is not treating her pond for mosquitoes, hopefully she is, I'm just saying that would be my only, but very strong, concern if a neighbor of mine had a yard like that woman has, in a situation when houses are so close to each other.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

When houses are that close together, what one person does with "their" property can't help but reflect on the area around it. People that want to live outside the norm should reconsider living in a tightly packed area.

I'm not saying she's wrong in what she wants, but I think that is not the place for it. 1/8 of an acre is pretty small - you can plant native plants all over it, but it doesn't have to look overgrown and unkept.

And "hear, hear!" for getting rid of alien grasses and people's perceptions that they have to cover the majority of their property with it. That is so wrong on so many counts: alien, fertilizer, mowing, watering .... I'm with you on that one, fossilbob.

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

With regards to the pond bit, how many suburban people have "water gardens" with those little preformed pond liners? Isn't that standing water where mosquitoes can breed too? How many yards have some sort of standing water in this woman's neighbor from buckets to water gardens? Are they all going to be cited as a public nuisance too?? If not, that whole argument is total garbage.

Someone just didn't like her idea of a yard and tried *real* hard to make up something to charge her with. My opinion is when my neighbors start paying my taxes, then they can say what happens in my yard.

FataMorgana

• fossilbob
    16 years ago

I think I read (?) that she uses Mosquito "Dunks" in her pond. Of course, mosquitoes go for any still body of water...birdbath, etc...

• kwoods
    16 years ago

I think her yard is quite nice. In fact I even prefer it to all the thousands upon thousands of illegal multifamily dwellings in suburban areas that I see no-one doing anything whatsoever about. Seems they are the new vogue, the "in" thing. You know, now that I think about it, I even prefer it to the millions upon millions of properties in utter disrepair with rubbish strewn about that I see no-one doing anything whatsoever about. Quite popular as well. It's a funny world sometimes.

• EricEden
    16 years ago

I can really relate to this woman - I live on a 1/8 acre suburban lot, just one block from a subway stop in a close-in suburb, and I've ripped out nearly all the grass and replaced it with a mix of native and non-native perennials, shrubs, and trees with just grass paths inbetween - my garden is also NWF certified. I'm sure there are some people who hate my garden, but when I am out working in the front yard I get nothing but positive, unsolicited comments from the pedestrians who pass by. But I do make an effort to keep it fairly neat, and I live in an area where all the houses are older, a bit funky, and there is no HOA....we have a tolerant live-and-let-live attitude here, but there are other parts of my town that are HOA restricted and my type of gardening would probably be prohibited. There are some towns near me in suburban Maryland (Takoma Park and Greenbelt come to mind) where the towns actually ENCOURAGE the 1/8 acre suburban lot owners to take out their front and back lawns and plant natives and xeriscapes. There are entire blocks in Takoma Park, MD where everyone has done this and it's just beautiful to walk down those streets in any season. If they keep hassling here, perhaps this lady should move to another area where the neighbors think more like she does...

• jerseygardner
    16 years ago

Biggest problem I see with the whole concept of Native gardening and landscaping is that there are too many folks that think they have to "scatter" plants aimlessly around their properties to make it look natural. This just ends up looking like a weed patch and their efforts cannot and will not be taken seriously by anyone that prefers order in their neighborhood. Actually this type of attempt is really embarrasing and is damaging to the whole effort of implemnting more natives into our urban and suburban landscapes. I applaud anyone that repects and attempts to go native, but please people, do it with some taste! If you look around you and study some naturual areas near your home you will find that the most pleasing natural areas have a sense of order to them. This order can be replicated in home landscapes without too much expertise or training, just a little taste and common sense. Natives can be just as beatiful and stunning as any contrived-non native landscape if done correctly.

• kwoods
    16 years ago

I'm not sure who determines what is tasteful and "done correctly". Should a neighbor's yard come before a panel of judges? Aesthetics are different for everyone and difficult to create a "standard" for.

I don't like green houses w/ white trim, I wish people that painted them that color had better taste. But, that's just my opinion and it would be arrogant and judgemental for me to try to dictate what someone else can do with their house dependant on my own aesthetic.

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

One problem concerns space. I have seven ac., so nobody complains about my rather wild areas. In an urban area, people are so close and have grown to "expect" a certain look. Also, they are so afraid of what they cannot see, i.e., the proverbial snake in the grass. Many gardeners feel that one must space plants with surrounding mulch so that it is very clear that the owner has control of that space. I have several friends who adore wildflowers but live in neighborhoods in which they must plant everything with precision, keeping all weeded and not allowing plants to "mingle." For me that is lovely but artificial. I prefer what I call the slightly kept state park look. In other words, I do have paths. Everyone has different tastes. I have a small place in the mountains, and now the people who are building up there want to kill all of the wildflowers and plant "civilized" things. That really makes me sad. Hopefully, that homeowners association will not condemn what Mother Nature has planted.

• mlevie
    16 years ago

Honestly, unless she lives in a community with CC&Rs that allow some board of local control freaks to pass judgment on her landscape plan, I can't see that it's anyone's business what her yard looks like. If they're worried about mosquitos, they should suggest she throw $5 worth of mosquito donuts in her pond, and the problem's finished.

I don't think anyone's got a consitutional right to protect their property values, and I don't think it's been proven that any decorating your neighbors do, short of painting "THIS IS A CRACK HOUSE" on the front door, affect your property values.

I don't like the way my neighbor trims her tree, and it's right outside my dining room window. But there's no accounting for taste, and it's absolutely none of my business.

My father-in-law lives in a community where there's a review board, which recently rejected one homeowner's plan to paint his house THE SAME COLOR IT CURRENTLY WAS. There are only two choices here: live and let live, or allow your neighbors to exercise absolute power over every decision you make. I'll take the former.

Sponsored