SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkock

Lots of Fleece...& Sewing for Money?

pkock
18 years ago

After having such fun with my son's sweatsuit/costume, I went on to make another fleece jacket in a tie-dye pattern, plus white fleece pants, for my daughter. She needs them to wear over her leotard this winter to & from gymnastics practice. So cozy! After that, I made another jacket for my mom in a black & purple print, just finished today, and it looks awesome. It will be a Christmas gift.

Today I bought more fleece (3.99/yd at Hancock) and a vest pattern (99 cent McCalls!) so I can make more stuff for Christmas gifts.

I LOVE poly fleece. It's so forgiving and versatile.

I found a colorful gymnastics print fleece and made my daughter a blanket so she can cuddle up at her meets in between events. I also made some simple scarves from this print to sell at our home meet as a fundraiser.

She took the blanket to practice yesterday, and it was such a big hit that I've been asked for 2 more blankets, another scarf, and the coach wants a hoodie jacket in that print for her 4 yo daughter.

Well, I don't have a problem with charging for the blankets. 2 yards ($6/yard) + a little extra for my time, just a plain zig-zag hem, maybe $18 each. But a garment is another matter. The ones I've made so far turned out great, and each is a little better than the last, but I wouldn't consider myself a skilled seamstress. I decided to make the jacket and give it to the coach as an early Christmas gift to her and her little girl.

If someone else asks for one, I've decided to charge $25 for a child's and $30 for an adult size. Each jacket takes about 2.5 hours, 1.5 - 2 yards, and a zipper. I'd be making about $14 on each one. It's less than minimum wage, but a learning experience.

But I feel weird about it. I'm still pretty much a newbie. I mean, I learned how to do almost everything, but so long ago that the previous experience only helps to shorten the learning curve a bit. I guess so few women sew at all anymore that they're willing to pay the ones that do!

Or maybe it's just a matter of finding the right item. That particular print has to be specially ordered, and I just got lucky - I found out today that it was in the store because a customer requested it. I bought what was left, 6.5 yards. They can order more for me, and I've found a source that can sell me whole bolts if it comes to that. :)

Oh - and I'm saving the scraps to make my doggie a new bed. :)

Regards from Pam's Fleece Hoodie Factory....

Comments (14)