SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

This weather!!!! Anyone else feeling discouraged?

northforker
14 years ago

Gray and rainy and cool again today. To cut to the chase, here is my list of things I need to whine about:

Had wonderful germination on "special" annuals I wanted to try: Pentas, Purple knight, cigar plant, african daisy, plectranthus, fancy verbenas, fancy petunias, some different amaranths, many others. All the little babies are just "Sitting there" in this horrible weather. Not growing. Getting eaten by bugs. Look like things looked last year in early May, not late June.

Deer are using my gardens as a buffet each night. We have always had some damage, but this year is horrible. Hollyhocks - gone. In 4 different spots. Lilies - all the special one eaten, it seems they are leaving the ordinary orange daylilys for last. Many perennial flowers chomped off like they are grazing for gumdrops - eat just the forming flower heads. And lets not even talk about the hostas....

Weeds: Weeds are loving this damp weather. I am so tired of weeding. Beds where I thought I had gotten all the weed grasses pulled out in the early spring - all back. And clover - everywhere, thriving and happy.

Flopping flowers: nepia,campanula, gallardia, coryopsis, many others -everything is trying to lay down on the ground.

Even the lawn looks pale and unhappy. Sun! I need sun. Soon.

OK, I'm done. Thanks for listening! I've taken the day off from work to try to weed/get more planted and I'd better get out there. But I've got no "umph" for it - I feel like it is going to be a terrible growing season. And that is discouraging after working this hard at it since January.

Whiney and Wet,

Nancy

Comments (19)

Sponsored