SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venessa_gw

What do I really need in a sewing machine

venessa
17 years ago

Hello, I am new to sewing and have been lurking for a while now. I am wanting to get a sewing machine. But what I need help with is not which one to get but what I actually need and what to look for. I mainly sew clothes and may try some decorating stuff later on. Right now I am using one of my moms old machines which only has a straight and zig zag stitch. It doesn't do well on heavier fabrics like knits and polyester. I was looking at a Brother at Walmart but my mom said not to get one that has the plastic drop in bobbins because they don't last. I also read some bad reviews on them on the internet. I saw that Hancock has a Janome 3125 on sale for about $90.00. It doesn't look to fancy but from what I understand Janome is a good name. I've seen some that have 80 stitches and others with 120 but I don't know what all of the stitches are used for. The machine I get will have to last a long while so I guess my question is, Do I need to get one with the most stitches I can afford and as I get better at sewing I will grow into it? I have been reading on here about the different feet there are and have seen some mentioned that I would love to try so I need to take that into concideration also. Sorry this is so long.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County