SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Do I need a new sewing machine?

jenn
16 years ago

I gave up on the VW quilt tonight. I had to rip out a small seam THREE TIMES because it was not straight and the edges weren't even. I did pin it and guided it through carefully. I do not have a 1/4" foot but that's not the issue. I lined it up next to the regular foot, and also next to a sticky strip 1/4" away from the needle, all to no avail.

What seems to happen is that the fabric shifts and moves as I help guide it through. The tension is fine, the foot pressure is correct and the feed dog is in the correct position.

My machine is a little more than 20 years old. When I bought it, I was told to be careful when I start stitching because it will jam if I start too quickly. Well, I can vouch for that, so I have to start sewing slowly as I guide the fabric. I've used it only to make garments, simple curtains, and a few quilt tops (on all of which I nearly tore out my hair trying to get a straight seam). Come to think of it, maybe a hobby that requires a perfect seam isn't for me at all.

But let's say it is, and I just need a different machine. Last week while on vacation we stopped in at a quilt shop that has a whole room with Pfaff machines on display. We liked the Pfaff Expressions, either 2048 and 2038, because they are mostly for just sewing. I wouldn't do much machine embroidery or applique or quilting; I'd prefer to do that by hand (still assuming this hobby is for me).

I know many of you sew on machines much older than this one. I'm not one to get the latest, greatest of anything if the current one works. But, I am wondering if a new machine might make this more enjoyable for me.

I packed away the entire VW project to start again some other time. Meanwhile I will look into either a 1/4" foot, another machine, or both.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jen

Comments (11)