SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntt_hou

Roofers, what is your price range? Sorry, it's long.

ntt_hou
16 years ago

I'm having a roof replaced and I'm trying to figure out if all the troubles I've been going through worth the saving of the cost and worth having a good heart.

I understand that the cost of replacing a roof may varies from state to state. However, if you can, please give me a range of costs, ie: minimum to maximum. I live in Houston, Texas.

Here's the criteria:

- Roof is estimated 3800 sq. ft.

- 2 layers to remove: 1st layer, wood shingles; 2nd layer (top) asphalt shingles.

- There's no decking under the wood shingles, need to add plywood for decking.

- Add roofing felt

- replacing new flashing (?)

- Replacement shingles with Timerline 30-yrs. asphalt shingles.

Most roof contractors can do this within a few days with a group of workers. I only have 2 workers and it's going on my 5th week. Every week, I get promises that it's the last week and of course promises have been broken. I'm anticipating 1 or 2 more days if I get lucky.

The only positive about these 2 workers is that they do a thorough job. Except for 1 day that they were careless for not tying down the tarp that covered the working area. It rained that morning and had leaked through the utility room. Fortunately, they were able to stop in time and the damage was very minor. Truly, I was calm and reasonable about it the whole time.

Why these 2 guys vs. a regular contractor? Because these 2 guys were referred by a friend that they needed the work and money. So, I wanted to help them out. By the way, they used to work in roofing up in Virginia for over 15 yrs.; so, I had no doubt that they can do it.

Originally, the quote did not include the decking. Their price was approximate $1200 less than other contractors.

Coming from Virginia, he didn't realized that some older homes were originally built without decking if wood shingles were used. Surprisingly, the other local contractors went in the attic and missed this too and they've been in business in this area for many years.

So, on the first day of work, I was told the bad news about no decking. They apologized and said it was their fault for not checking more thoroughly. Feeling bad about asking for the extra cost, they said, if I agree to pay for the plywoods, they won't charge the extra cost to do the decking. I agreed and paid $1100 for the plywoods.

They've been asking to get pay as they go along which I agreed. I still have 1 more payment, $1200, that I told them they won't get it until it's all done.

Due to the decking issue, I was going to pay them an extra $300 (which is all I had left) as a surprise at the end of a job well done.

After almost 5 weeks of putting up with the noise, the bad smell (I work from home), and the mess, I'm starting to get impatience and wondering if helping these guys were worth it. I had this big dumpster sitting on my driveway for 2 1/2 weeks until no more trash could fit in it. Then, they've made a mess in my back yards; although, they clean it, it's not thorough. I have lots of pot plants that they had to move and these plants are either dead or dying because the roof trash is blocking me from getting close enough to water them.

On and off, I'm having 2nd thought about giving them the extra $300 because I may end up needing this money to replace the damage (broken water hoses & faucets) and hiring someone to clean up the mess they've done to the yard. I'm in the wheelchair and have to hire someone to do these things.

What do you all think? Is it fair? What would you have done differently other than hiring another contractor?

Comments (4)