SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Slow season for roofing? better prices?Comments on master roofer

cindywhitall
10 years ago

Is there a slow season for roofing when I might get a better deal? A neighbor got a roof about a month ago and it was freezing. He used a very high priced (high pressure/high priced sales pitch company that I would NEVER consider).

I wondered when the slow seasons are and if there would be any price breaks.

I had an estimate April 26, 2012 for Timberline 30 year dimensional roof with tear off of existing layer and 25ft of ridge vent. I have a 2800sf home (2-story) with a hip roof. The price then was approx $8000. I think it was $5800 without removal.

I have seen them do a fair amount of building around here. I don't see them on the GAF Master Elite list, but I do see 2 companies I would never use (the above mentioned overpriced, hard sales pitch-2-3 hr sales presentation with "sign today" pricing) the other is one a neighbor is about to use but the owner (or prior owner) just pled guilty to false tax reporting (see below!) and an employee also pled guilty to unreported income. I'm not sure how it turned out, but I would worry about who to turn to in a few years if the roof was bad....

Anyway, Is there a slow season where better prices can be had??

Not using this guy! "From early 2007 through late 2009, Morton cashed $3,946,046 of Kenal�s gross receipts at a check cashing agency, the majority of which he did not deposit into his business bank account and did not report on his individual income tax returns. For the 2007, 2008, and 2009 tax years, Morton had unreported gross receipts of $1,343,348; $1,471,430; and $1,131,268, respectively, causing a loss to the IRS of $241,412.

Morton faces a maximum potential penalty of three years in prison and a fine of $250,000, along with restitution to the IRS. Sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 6, 2014. "

This is a review of another "master elite" that I would never use. This is one of many similar stories and I have experienced their persistence just knocking at my door. I did get the sales guy to admit it would be in the 20's when I let them set me an appt. I told him before he came in not to bother if the price was in the teens or above. He admitted he wasn't close so he didn't waste my time or his coming in.

"A couple young guys were walking around the neighborhood with information about roofing.I asked them to leave some information because we have been interested in replacing our roof.

Right away they called their "office" and put me on their cell phone to talk to a "manager". Thought this was odd, I could have called on my own cell if I wanted. An appointment was set up for a few days later. To keep this short and to the point, a very high-pressure salesman came to my home, stayed for 3 1/2 hours and quoted us a price 15,000.00 over 3 other estimates.

Total roof price 22,000. Then said he would lower it by 5000 if we signed up that night.

We did not, too high pressure and very overpriced.Be careful, they are good talkers and once they are in your home it is very hard to get them out, kinda like ants. "

Thanks for reading and replying.

Comments (13)