SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008

Large groups/parties, are slow cookers an answer?

debrak_2008
8 years ago

I hope I can articulate my questions here.

I've been looking at slow cookers with one of the reasons being to serve large groups. Large to me is 5 - 25 usually. I find slow cookers are forgiving, don't need constant attention, and keep food warm a long time. Which for parties sounds like just what you want. In reading comments here from the last few years I don't ever see anyone mentioning the "party" factor as a reason to use a slower cookers or multiple slow cookers.

We don't go to dinners regularly at other homes and we only entertain a few times a year. (I would like to increase this). What I have always seen is the cook is stressed out, running around trying to get all the food done at the same time and then keep it warm. The cook usually doesn't actually eat much and is exhausted.

I know of only one person who seems to be able to serve large groups 20 - 30 easily. She cooks EVERYTHING the day before (this includes thanksgiving turkeys) and puts it all in oven safe containers. The day of the party puts it all in the oven a few hours before the serving time. The oven is packed solid but somehow it all gets hot. It gets taken out and served.

One of my most successful parties involved a crock pot filled with sausage and sauerkraut, another with pre made chili, and a big pan of premade mashed potatoes that warmed in the oven. I wish they all could be that easy!

FYI I have one 30" electric stove.

So I ask, what is your style?

Is the key to make everything ahead?

Does anyone use slow cookers or other devices for parties like this?

Am I unusual in my thinking on this?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH