SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

First lesson at sewing from pattern -messed up?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I took my first sewing lesson with a pro today, a Simplicity pattern for a knit tunic. She measured my high bust (I'm a D cup) and put back my larger (20W+) pattern, told me to use the 18. But even though we were discussing how to alter it to fit my large bust and narrow shoulders, we never adjusted the pattern, I went happily along and cut the back and front to the size 18. Have I now wasted all this fabric? I don't see how we're going to make a pattern with a finished bust size 1" larger than my high bust fit my D cups!

This was handmedown fabric in a heavy knit, a nice print I had been saving for a skirt but since I didn't have much time to shop (DD and I had the stomach bug last week) I had to use it.

I do have a bit extra but I don't think it's enough to recut these pieces larger - if so, it's not long enough for a tunic.

It looks like the front is too small (and there was plenty of fabric in the middle b/c it was folded in 3rds to do front and back on folds of the same piece) but before I left she hacked them apart for me to cut with my rotary cutter at home. So back has some room but front needs to be recut - if I have to make it wider at the bottom too? Might barely have enough if just have to make the point under the armhole wider?

Edited to add picture

Is there any hope?

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 7:17

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH