SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clumsycook_gw

Help with dining room furniture

clumsycook
12 years ago

I am getting ready to build a new home next month,and I don't think I my dining room size is going to work for the furniture I want. The room will be 12 x 14. The ends on the long side can't have furniture because of a large window and an opening to the kitchen. That leaves a 12 ft. space for the width of a table (44 inches), chairs, a sideboard, and a china cabinet. I don't want it to be too crowded, but now it looks like I will have only about 26 inches between the table and the sideboard and china hutch.

When we looked at house plans, I thought the dining room looked adequate, but now after drawing out the measurements and reading the "rules" on distance between dining room furniture, I see that this is not going to work. I desperately want and really need a china hutch to store my crystal and china, but there is no way to increase the size of my dining room.

Does anyone have a similar size dining room with all the traditional dining room furniture? The table we have squeezed in our current breakfast room is only 25 inches from the wall and it is a tight fit, but it works. I thought about omitting the server perhaps and shifting the chandelier over. However, the chandelier would then be off-center from the large window, and I think that will look stupid.

Comments (3)