SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

dining room furniture is IN, help decorate the room, please!

dirtymartini
14 years ago

, below is a link of the DR. Now, please understand, if I were to go out and purchase new DR furniture, this would not be it, I would probably go for something more streamlined. This is the DR I had every Thanksgiving dinner on since 1971. Ironically, same with my DH! His family had this exact same set all thru the 70's and 80s, and we have plenty of pictures of him thru the years standing in front of this same set in his house.

So, it has sentimental value to us.

I am thinking area rug...and a table runner, and of course window treatments. My mom also gave the the chandelier that hung over this table since 1971, but it is big and heavy and our celings are only 8ft so I think I want to go with something lighter, also, I want to make the room more "eclectic" or "transitional" (see my other thread below on the confusion of those two terms) so I was thinking maybe a linear chandelier?

Also need to do the baseboards (I have another thread on this topic posted yesterday) and we were thinking of doing something different in this room, maybe something more rustic. I guess the baseboards should be stained the same color as the table and french doors? Or should we just stick with the plain, 5" off white normal baseboards that are throughout the rest of the house?

Thanks for opinions and input.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1808860}}

Comments (92)

• mjlb
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Say it ain't so! Don't change the chairs!

You certainly don't need to expand Mediterranean whatever direction that you go. But since you're tending toward an eclectic look, it matters even less.

That's quite amazing that you have a spare of the whole thing to practice. If you have the time and skill, I'd definitely 'experiment' on the second cabinet. The silvery color relates a bit to that mirrored table.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Here is Parma's thread with the Ikat fabric. The fabric is from Ballard's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikat

• Related Discussions

Please help me decorate my living room and dining area

Q

Comments (19)
    When it comes to hanging art, keep in mind those Velcro Command Strips. I use them to hang almost everything and they don't damage the walls. They hold a surprising amount of weight. That metal scrollwork would probably take one nail, but most artwork, unless the frames are really heavy, can be hung with the command strips. I'm not so sure the metal piece is "farmhouse." Rustic, probably. When I think farmhouse, though, I don't think of that type of piece. I think you can do better, but if you really LOVE it, then go for it! I do like the upholstered ottoman but I like yayagal's coffee table suggestion even better! It will definitely help set the farmhouse tone you want.
    ...See More

just moved in. need help decorating living room/ dining room & master

Q

Comments (1)
    My advice would be to go on Houzz and start some idea books to figure what your style is . Right now all you will get is dozens of ideas that will keep you more confused than ever. We need info to help with this.
    ...See More

Need help with open great room/dining room/kitchen decor

Q

Comments (3)
    Don't have time to answer all of your questions but here's what I can suggest: 1) Lower the mantle on fireplace a little, as well as the painting in the niche. (See #2 here) Consider changing the mantle to something less rustic and paint in color A (see next suggestion) 2) Open spaces should be cohesive - which you can easily do with paint. Choose 2 colors or 2 shades of the same color and vary placement in different areas. (see #5 here) Consider adding a simple chair rail to the dining area. For example, with minimal effort, you could use color A below the chair rail in dining area, as the dominant color in window treatments fabric (I"d use draw drapes) , the back wall of niche, throw pillows, lamps ac, and maybe an area rug in living room, and in accessories (see #3 here) in living room and kitchen. I'd consider adding some of that color to kitchen also -- back of open cabinets for example, recovering bar stools and dining room chair seats to match drapery fabric and possibly slip covering one of the armchairs in the living room in a pattern that incorporates the wall colors with other colors in the space. You want to use coordinates, not just the same solid everywhere so look for different textures or patterns to add. Hope that helps. I've inclluded links to additional info about topics I mentioned that I think you'll find helpful. 3) see #2 - I'd choose lamps with either a base or shade to match color A. (See #7 here) 4) Add plants. If you aren't there often enough to take care of them, use artificial greenery.
    ...See More

Living room/dining room furniture placement help.

Q

Comments (12)
    I moved some things around and I think I like it better. I know the rug is too small and it shouldn't be "floating" but I don't want a new one until we get the other changes done. I moved the dresser into the dining room and hung (probably too high but couldn't convince 6'3" hubby to lower it and he had a point about being out of reach of the tornado. haha) the sign and pictures that had been on the mantle in the dining room. We also took off the ridiculous trim board they had up because we will be replacing the slider soon. So many things in this house like that silliness. I organized most of the books and moved the bookshelf. And grabbed a few canvases (I know they are small but can't remember where we left my big one) I did the flower, my dad painted the one on the right in Vietnam in '68. We need to fix the coffee table my dad built that's in the garage, I'll put it in front of the sofa, it's a little under 6'long, so it might be technically too big but, again, it's what I have. How'd I do?
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    14 years ago

I think the current chairs are the best part.

I missed the part about not wanting to fool with the pieces as they are, I guess I was concentrating on the part where you said you would pick something else if it were up to you.

I think the way to move toward eclectic in your case would be to keep the tables and chairs as a piece (and probably that fixture, since you have it--I like it with the floors too) and maybe think about a simpler hutch. If-- you want to steer away from the mediterranean as a dominant style

I am almost thinking something spare and IKEA -ish that becomes "background" and allows the table/chairs to take center stage, would work...and it would definitely move you in an eclectic direction. (and be relatively inexpensive).

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

No No don't change those chairs, they're perfect with your furniture.

What is the chance of finding the exact chairs and table on the market bulletin board? I would say slim to none, you should of bought a lottery ticket that day at the market. (lol)

Mediterrian furniture is my least favorite in all the world but I'm kind of liking yours. And covering up that floor with a big rug would be a shame IMO. Spanish rooms always have beaming rugless floors with the exception of small colorful small ones in front of doors and such.

I would put the leaf in the table and go massive. Get a wrought Iron chandy as advised above.

And get some art work similiar to the ones done by the famous female artist with the unibrow from Spain. It is abstract and very spanish and vibrant. What the heck is her name? They made a movie of her life story. I am brain dead what is her name does anyone know?

How would you feel about getting some fiesta ware to put in your cabinet? It comes in every color of the rainbow. I'm thinking red. Homer has some antique fiesta ware you may want to look at and it is not pricey.

And please don't paint that room blue.

....Jane

• mjlb
    14 years ago

That would be Freida Kahlo. Jeez, how come I can remember OTHER people's proper names?

• awm03
    14 years ago

dirtymartini, would you be interested to put wallpaper or fabric on the inside back of the hutch? It could add some subtle color and lighten the overall look of the hutch -- and would be removable too. Is the hutch lighted?

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Give that girl a gold star! That's right mjlb I would of never thought of her.

Here is a picture of Bernardo as I like to call him. He is Spanish I think and cost twenty bucks at an antique shop. I think he would look good in your dining room.

{{gwi:1707132}}

• awm03
    14 years ago

re changing the back of the china cabinet:

This woman cut cardboard to fit her china cabinet, covered it with fabric, and placed it behind the shelves: http://thepleasuresofhomemaking.blogspot.com/2009/07/happy-4th-changing-china-cabinet.html

You could wallpaper it or even simply paint it. I think it would help relieve the mass of the cabinet and would ease you away from Spanish Colonial without permanently altering your furniture (I vote for going eclectic in your DR).

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Well since you liked the idea I did a virtual for you of your family chandelier with a somewhat sheer shade around it and hung it above you table. Which I don't think I told you is awesome by the way. That and the china cabinet.
    {{gwi:1808912}}

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here is the Modernist genre that corresponds with the 70s Spanish revival. Your stuff is a form of Gothic Revival, whereas the modernist stuff is "Gothic" in the sense of its manner. The heavy dark stuff is called "Brutalist" and the mirrored stuff which is contemporary to it is the disco era revival of Deco.

Brutal chandelier:
    {{gwi:1808913}}

Brutalist Table lamps:
    {{gwi:1719804}}

Paul Evans Credenzas:
    Brutal:
    {{gwi:1808914}}
    Patchwork:
    {{gwi:1808915}}
    Cityscape inspired:
    {{gwi:1808916}}
    Cityscape patchwork
    {{gwi:1808917}}

Chrome Ball Lamps:{{gwi:1808919}}
    Cork Lamps:
    {{gwi:1808920}}

Spanish sling chairs:
    {{gwi:1808921}}

Brutal lounge chair:
    {{gwi:1808922}}

Disco deco chairs:{{gwi:1808923}}{{gwi:1808924}}

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

DM
    I have been following this thread - w/nothing to offer - I just felt, well... flumoxed I suppose

Then I was browsing through Verdana Sept Issue

I need not say more

• mjlb
    14 years ago

Now I would call that transitional, not eclectic. Tomato, Tomahto, lovely either way.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

DirtyMartini -
    Ok, so if I make this room uber 70's spanish...is it going to be ok that the rest of the house is not of that style? Of course. It was fashionable for a long time to have The Chines Room, The Turkish Salon, etc.

If you want to get away from the Spanish, how about strong oriental fabric prints?

Whatever you pick, it needs to have strong design and color to stand up to the large dark furniture. Or, use pale fabrics and strongly colored walls that pull in colors used in other parts of the house ... I remember a dining room in Mexico with dark antique (the genuine 1700s stuff!), cream nubby cotton drapes and chair seats and intensely medium blue walls. That and some kick-butt mirrors and art on the walls made it simple but striking.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Thought you might enjoy the link below to Spanish Colonial interiors -- really beautiful ones. That bed with the matelasse bedspread is fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Colonial Style

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am sitting here, sipping my morning cup of coffe while the house is still quiet...everyone is sleeping. I have the biggest smile on my face! I want you all to understand how I feel right now...I feel like you are the tutor(s) and I just had a "light bulb moment" and all this "design algebra" is starting to make sense! I am not saying I could ace the test, but I see where you are going....I see the flow of your thought processes. I just want to make sure that YOU (all) feel a sense of accomplishment. I don't want to bask in this happy feeling all by myself. You guys made it possible.

I think as I do things to the room, i will post and ask for specific help. I know this thread is all over the place...lighting, curtains, rugs, chairs..

Pal-Your pictures...they REALLY spoke to me, and I now "get" how possibly losing the hutch might benefit me. I absolutely LOVE those credenzas. I am wincing at the thought of telling my parents, though. Hmmm...maybe I will take allison's advice after all...fill it with books and put it in the office...which presently has NO FURNITURE. (I am in here now...I have a table, chair and computer. Oh, and hamster in her cage.)

I know nothing of this "gothic" and "brutal" stuff, but I am dying to learn. I appreciate your post and using those terms. Where is that brutalist chandelier from? GORGEOUS! I am sure it is pricey, too. :(

I am so glad you (and newdawn and mjlb) like the chairs.

mjlb-It is funny that I found the same set just a few years ago. I guess it proves that it was popular and mass produced, because remember, my husband's family had the exact same set growing up!

kmjc-Thank you! See...I had no idea what Ikat was...and I have seen it a bunch of times...i just called it, "you know, that ethnic-y material." I am so glad to know the proper name.

newdawn-LOL, my DH actually brought one of his BULLFIGHTING posters he bought in Spain in the early 90's home from his office...he is dying to put it up! I told him the gardenweb peeps said NO WAY to bullfighting pics! I love you suggestions. BTW, your painting kind of looks like my hubby, actually! And BTW, his parents are Spanish by way of Cuba...and my maternal grandfather was born in spain (raised here) so DH and I both feel a pull towards all things spanish. That's why we really want to work with this.

awm-Your link was also VERY helful. See, when I look at those pics, I realize I don't have to be "themey" with the room. Some of those rooms pictured are funky looking...in a good way, the way *I* want. So thank you for sharing that, I am saving it to my favorites.

And yeah...I would be open to putting fabric in the back of the shelving on the hutch. And yes, it does have lighting inside. It really does look pretty at night, I must say.

lazygardens-I guess I would feel more comfortable changing decor room to room if my house wasn't so open and blended together. Then again, I think everyone knows that usually the living/dining area is the more "dressed" of all the rooms, and I guess if I was going to be different, those are the rooms to do it in. The family room has to be cozy and functional. I do like the idea of some strong oriental fabrics...or maybe go more turkish/morroccan?

jet-beautiful, just beautiful!

justgottabe-You sure do have fun with that compuetr and pictures! I love it when you do that! Thanks!

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

DM -
    Do bask in the warmth GW sends your way - I know the feeling, many of us do, as we have been in your shoes. It's fun having the cyber tutors, being the recipient of good advice, even if it's not where we are going, you do learn along the way.
    Best to you & please do keep us posted on your progress. I do like allison's idea of repurposing the china cab - and understand your concern relating to it's heritage. If the top part comes off - you would have a credenzaish piece - that would make that part of the room less heavy - and a place to hang the bullfighter ;)

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, thanks jet...I actually just thought of that myself...literally 5 minutes ago, before reading your post (see? You guys are rubbing off on me.) And YES...the top part DOES come off. Hmmm...

no bullfighter, though. He can go in the office maybe. :)

Yes, GW rocks, I must say!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Glad we're making you think - and thinking outside the box, no less! That's great.

btw, I was summoned to my parents yesterday while out shopping. Dad really shouldn't own a computer! I glanced at their breakfront. He has only 1/4 of it filled with books. The rest are either things he has picked up at antique stores or when traveling. A few pictures may be okay, but I wouldn't go overboard with them. Maybe do some kind of "family" collection, if you have a bunch of stuff from your families. Similar to a curio cabinet collection. It just doesn't need to be a lot of small things, as the cabinet is large and needs to be filled with more large items than tiny.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

(btw, Pal posts a lot of fixtures and furniture from 1st dibs - gorgeous things, but they don't give them away! )

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st dibs

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Here is the chandelier Pal posted, along with others at 1st Dibs.

Here is a link that might be useful: brutal chandeliers at 1st dibs

• kellyeng
    14 years ago

The image below is in my idea file from when I built my house. As soon as I saw your room it reminded me of this pic. I love how the the runner, cushions and tassels soften the table. The red wall sconces work perfectly and the wall color is dramatic without being bold. I think this look would work great in your room without being overtly Spanish.

• gopack
    14 years ago

dirtymartini,

I have not been on this board for well over a year but I am back to get inspired. I just want to tell you that I LOVE the dining room table and chairs you have. They are so unique and interesting! I totally agree with many of the posters on doing something with the large heavy breakfront. If you can take the top half off, that is a great idea. You could put a large picture or mirror with a decorative frame above the base. (Love Alison's idea, also.)

I also agree to not put any rug under the table and chairs. The floor in there is so unique and beautiful. You have the bones for a fantastic dining room.

At first, I would have suggested the iron chandeliers also. But now I am starting to understand perhaps that you might want something not as heavy or dark? I can now see that maybe something in between the heavy iron and a crystal chandelier. I think that chandy in the Veranda photo might work, something along that line? Then keep the walls light, use medium hues for the drapes. (Not pastels though.) But keep all the chairs. They are the focus.

Where do you live? Can I come over and help you? Ha ha What a fun room to do!!! Please make sure you keep us updated on your progress.

Ginny

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

1stDibs is a great site to *look, but for most people, the prices are out of reach. While you are not likely to find a genuine Paul Evans credenza anywhere at a low price, he did have a lot of influence and sometimes pieces of similar spirit show up on ebay. (One of the credenzas is a "studio piece" not one he designed for a furniture company and I think its listed at $32,000) :( --At least I didnt post the $65,000 one.

That said, with patience, one can find some of these things on eBay at much more reasonable prices. I have a pair of brutal table lamps that I got one at a time (and over a year apart)for the sum total of about $265--and they have been listed as high as $8500/pair on 1stdibs. So, look, be inspired, look for it elsewhere and be patient:-)

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Cuban colonial! And modernist/brutalist is perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cuba You Haven't Seen

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Perhaps the piece can also be used in a different room --either with, or without the top.

It works well in the room now, but that much of one style of furniture will really dictate the style for the whole room, and you seem to lean toward the eclectic.

Using it, if you can, in a different room will also pull a bit of the Spanish into another part of the house, so that the dining room would be eclectic with predominantly Spanish roots, and another room can be predominantly something else, with a bit of the Spanish contributing to the "eclectic" aspect. IYKWIM--kind of convoluted.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Pal...i do know what you mean, and that makes perfect sense to me. The only place it could possibly go is in the office. OR, like you said, take the top part off, and do something with the botttom ( the spare piece I purchased...not the original my parents owned.)

Ideefixe-I will show my DH that link, he will love it!

kelly-That is just beautiful. Spare and simple.

alison-Thanks so much for the links. Depending on where that hutch ends up (and I admit, it may just stay right where it is) will depend on what I put in there. I love the idea of various artifacts, though.

Ginny-If you are in SoFla...come on by! I will pour a glass of spanish wine...a rioja, perhaps? and we can dish decor all evening long! Thank you for the compliments.

Ok, I found this light fixture. It is pricey, and maybe too simple? It is kind of like the Veranda one posted above...the one ginny mentioned. I just think it is sooooo sexy!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: ballard chateau chandelier

• gopack
    14 years ago

Hi again,

I looked at your Ballard chandelier and I honestly have to say it does not jump out to me as the best choice. Again, this is all personal opinion but I think that is what you are looking for. I guess I like the chandy's with more curves. I still like one that would be similar to the Veranda photo and the first one that mjlb posted above (volume but still light or something like that) because they are still iron but not heavy iron and are curvy, similar to your chairs. But they are not too Spanish in style so that the room can blend with your other rooms easier. (I also love a lot of the other pics posted above but many of them are more of the heavy Spanish style.)

I am wondering now if you want to try to stay with the Spanish look and feel or do you want to try to bring in a lighter more mixed feel to go better with the rest of your house? Or doesn't it matter at this point??? I am just trying to figure what direction you are going. It can get so confusing when you have several people giving their opinions and ideas!!! :) And sometimes you find you go full circle on styles.

Ginny

PS I can also see a chandelier with the dark amber or dark brown cystals slso since you said you love bling. But it would still need to be a somwhat rustic style chandy in my humble opinion. :)

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Ginny. I keep seeing some rustic, heavy chandeliers with crystals...and they make me really happy, so I might ought to go in that direction. I think I am going to see what can be done with my original, 1971 chandelier first. We have soooo many things to spend money on as far as renovations go.

From what I am kind of gathering from everyone is this...if I am going to keep both parts of the hutch, I gotta go with a spanish-ish chandelier. If I remove the top part, I maybe be able to go more eclectic. That top hutch part is sooo heavy, and if I go with the two fixtures I first posted...the Zgalleries and the other one, I think it was Horchow...they will be lost against the heavy table and chairs on the floor, coupled with the heavy hutch. I need to complete the "1970s spanish trilogy" (LOL) with a similar, somewhat dense chandelier.

I think for now I am going to keep the hutch together (it will make my mom so happy, especially when we sit there on Thanksgiving, our first in our new house) and use the 71 chandelier, but paint it and also look into getting shades for it, like Pal posted the pics of. I saw the link Pal provided sells them, I just have to find out how to attach them.

This is why I am a terrible juror and know to get out of jury duty. I will hear the defense lawyer talk, and I think, "Hmmm..this poor guy had a rough life, he is being railroaded...i am sure he is innocent." Then, when the prosecutor gets up and speaks, I am thinking "Fry the S.O.B.!!!" I can be swayed rather easily! If anyone posts valid reasons for their choice on this thread, I think, "Öh, yes...I agree!" After another post that disagrees, I think, "Oh, yes, absolutely the second poster is correct."

So thanks again! This is so much fun!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

The mica shades clip on (the bulbs). Easy.

• mjlb
    14 years ago

Funny you should say rustic with crystals - I saw a photo of something like that yesterday, and immediately thought of your room! You could add crystals to your 1971 chandelier, and have something quite interesting. You can find loose crystals in antique/vintage stores, and mismatched crystals could look cool.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here is a Paul Evans knock-off Sideboard. His pieces for Directional were Gesso and bronze powder on wood (?) and slate tops

These pieces are probably bronze painted composite, and rather than the piece having an abstract overall pattern, this has a repeated patter on the doors. The rest is black laminate.
    This is listed on eBay for $2800, which is still pricey, but a fraction of what the originals go for.

{{gwi:1808927}}
    The drum table is listed for $199
    {{gwi:1808928}}

If this is way off the charts, one way to do it would be through accessories--These are in the $65 range right now on eBay
    {{gwi:1808929}}

{{gwi:1808930}}

I have mixed feelings about the brutalist pieces, some of it falls into "so ugly its beautiful" for me, and some of it stops at just "so ugly" both among Evans' work and the knock offs.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

So maybe you can get a bunch of those Che! t-shirts and reupholster the seats with them. So everyone can sit on Che. Works for me. (I have a Cuban BIL, came here on a raft.)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Che Store

• gopack
    14 years ago

I think adding some smokey crystals to your inherited chandelier would be awewome!!! I like that chanelier a lot. I think you are starting to put your plan together now. Please make sure you show us pictures of your progress and by all means, keep asking for ideas or help. This is fun!!

It is always more fun to "decorate" someone else's home than your own. Not as emotional or scary. :)

Ginny

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

no, ideefixe, I'd rather use it for toilet paper! :)

Pal suh-weet stuff! Hey, so what do you think of painting my chandelier black and dangling some crystals from it? Also...the little white "tubes" at the bottom of each light bulb...what can I do to cover those? Can I paint those too? They are a plastic material and I don't think they twist off.

I may not do the mica shades, they are $21 each, and I have 12 bulbs. If I just could get rid of that white tubing (I am sure it has a name...everything does, even the little plastic tips at the end of shoelaces) I think I'd be happy.

mjlb-I found loose crystals online, at
    http://www.cristalier.com/clear-crystals-clear-glass-crystals-clear-acrylic-crystal-s/137.htm

scroll down, and they are reasonably priced (although I would be tempted to by a single crystal first, to make sure they don't look too cheap.)

alison-I am going to see if I can find those shades at a local store for a smaller price. Thanks!

• mjlb
    14 years ago

Until today, I didn't even know such a thing existed -- candle sleeves:

Here is a link that might be useful: candle sleeves

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh.
    my.
    goodness.

Look at all the possibilities! Who knew there were so many choices! Thank you for the link!

Isn't it great how a long thread can take so many twists and turns and evolve into other aspects of decorating? I have noticed that I can click on a thread about one topic, and I end up getting eductaed on a different topic.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

And hey! Dirty--your husband might get a kick out this--it's the Craigslist of Cuba.

There's an antiques section.

Here is a link that might be useful: Revolico

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow, that is a cool link, thanks for showing me that!

• catkin
    14 years ago

DM, step away from Ballard Designs LOL!
    Check out Overstock for lighting--it's worth a look--great pricing!

Also, have you considered turning the table so the end faces toward the hutch? Just a thought.

What a fun thread! :~)

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

catkin-I will definitely check that out!

Yes, we have thought of that BUT...we really do use those french doors off the side and need easy access to get to them. Plus, if I add the second leaf, it will get too crowded.

What we have considered is taking that hutch off the wall you see it on (east wall), and put it on the opposite wall (west wall)...right behind the table. I think we may do that when we finally purchase and add living room furniture.

Thank you!

• catkin
    14 years ago

I understand--can't wait to see how this comes out!

• trish8894
    14 years ago

Your room looks great with the dining room set. I have this exact dining room that was included in a house we just bought in June. It's funny, because my neighbor across the street also has this set.

Can anyone tell me what it is worth so I can sell it? It's beautiful, but the room it's in is too small for such a large set. Thanks!

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

trish-I hope you see this, you posted almost a week ago, I have not been on these boards for a few days!

Can you PLEASE take a picture of the furniture and post it? I am dying to see it in another setting. Do you think the DR set was in the house originally? What year was your house built? What color are the seats...and are they the same at your neighbor's house across the street? Where do you live?

Ok, so my DH actually had possession of *HIS* dining room set, that was exactly like MINE...up until the mid nineties. His mom had saved it (parents are divorced). He tried to sell it at one point, and refinshed the top and spruced it up nicely. I think he was asking 1k for the whole set...hutch, table, chairs...and he had NO ONE buy it. They would come, look, offer him 200 bucks, he just couldn't (wouldn't, I suppose, LOL) sell it at that price. Then again, this was BEFORE the internet. He didn't reach too many potential buyers with his ad in the paper.

I was kind of happy, cuz I said, "Good, let's keep it for the extra chairs and leaf and just store the rest of it!" His office has a warehouse/storage area, so that's why I considered it...I am not a believer in paying good money to store more "things." But since it is available, we do it sometimes.

Well, at this time, his dad did not have a DR table so DH just put it there to keep it, and so his dad would have a table. A few months later, one of his sisters moved in, brought her own stuff...and GAVE AWAY the hutch and two end chairs...and PUT THE TABLE OUT BY THE CURB FOR BULK PICKUP!

*fanning self*

I was LIVID! I still talk about it to this day, but my DH keeps saying, "Let it go, honey!!" I think he is mad too, but also embarrassed.

SO...remember...just a few years ago, I saw this table for sale on a grocery store bulletin board, and the whole set with hutch was in the $200 range...maybe $250?

It really is heavy duty, solid wood. BUT...apparently very common and mass produced! I would just like to know a little more about it. I cannot find any name on it as to who made it, where it is from originally, etc.

BTW...his sister moved out a few months later, and once again, DH''s dad was left with no table. *sigh*

• trish8894
    14 years ago

The house was built in 1990, so the furn. was brought there. We found out that the set is a spanish style. Made by Georgia - Pacific in South Carolina - around late 60's or early 70's. Wood is Maple. They made real good furn. but went out of business a number of years ago. We have paper tags stapled under each chair that says the company.

Our set came with the house we bought (we wrote in the offer all furn. must be included). Our house is in Lake Havasu, AZ. We live in Southern CA. Because we are going to rent our house out starting in feb. we have decided to put it on e-bay in a week or two starting at $500 for pick up only. I'm afraid if we move it, it will crack or something.

My neighbors set cracked in the middle when they lifted it, so I don't want to take that chance. She said her mom and dad bought it used 39 years ago. Her set is a different pattern, but the same set. The cut outs on the back of each chair is a four leaf clover with each leaf full and round, the china cab has the spiral on the upper outer edge as well. She re-did the material on the chairs.

I don't know how to send pics to this site. The only reason I'm on it is because I googled "spanish dining room" and I saw your set and was shocked to see it. I have not found this furn. and I have been looking since June.

When I see your set it's like looking at our set. The fabric on the seats is off white with a hint of pastels running up and down. Trish

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding! I think this is so funny! I wish I could help you post pics, but I am pretty bad at it...I can only post links, and what I do is upload a pic onto my facebook, and then I right click it and click on "properties" and I copy the long number and then paste that into the "link" spot.
    \ Geez, that sounds awfully difficult...I am bad at explaining stuff! If you feel like emailing me, you can email me pics (or your ebay link) at eg_128@yahoo.com . If not, I totally understand. Thanks for the input anyway!

• trish8894
    14 years ago

I am not on facebook, but I know how to send them on a direct e-mail. I'll get them to you soon.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks!

• sharon_midtn
    14 years ago

Hi dirtymartini,

I've only posted a couple of times on this forum. Have been a lurker off and on, and read this entire thread. I just want to say that I remember when this type of furniture was the 'in thing' in the 70's. Although it was very popular back then, I haven't been fond of it in many years (maybe never, can't remember, lol!). But I must say that in *your* dining room I think it looks absolutely fabulous! Your room displays it and does it justice. When it was popular, it was usually in houses that just didn't do anything for it. I like Kellyeng's idea of seat cushions and table runner...depending on fabric selection you could even put that fabric, or a coordinating fabric, in the back of the hutch to brighten it up (I think someone else suggested that as well).

I know very little about decorating but I would keep the set all together and go with it, play it up...don't fight with it. Your room and the set seem like a perfect match to me....the room makes the set and the set makes the room! Beautiful! And I absolutely *love, love, love* your floor! Don't put a rug under the table. I agree with others than you don't have to do 'Spanish' in the rest of the house just because of your dining room.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you, Sharon! Like I said, because it has sentimental value, I am kind of against breaking the set up, or messing with it too much. I still have to paint the chandelier and I am a little nervous about it.

My parents had the whole 70's spanish thing going on. We had these iron silhouettes of conquistadors on the wall, and other spanish touches throught the house. Of course this dining table sat on orange shag carpet! I guess it was very "in" because I remember my aunt's house was similar.

If this set had not been in the family for so long, I think i would indeed try to lessen the spanish-ness a bit (if that makes sense, LOL.) I still think I may toy with the other buffet/hutch from the other set purchased...but honestly, we have so much going on with our house renovations right now, I just don't want to mess with any cosmetic projects right this moment. Maybe eventually I will.

Thank you for your post! Have a great day!

• kswl2
    14 years ago

I've only read the first third of responses, but your dilemma certainly has sparked some interest :)

Love the dining room set, just LOVE it. I would leave the table and chairs exactly as is, and use NO rug on that rustic tile floor! The set itself--and the floor---are already "warm" in terms of colour and material and I think it looks just right on bare tiles.

I would definitely use the family chandelier---how great that you and your family will be dining just as both of you did growing up! But I would paint it a black or bronze (you can get a hammered finish spray paint that is fabulous at any of the home stores) and use interesting shades on the bulbs. It is just the kind of ornate chandelier one would expect to see over such a table, and has the added advantages of being both free and sentimental.

The cabinet is a different matter. I would do as someone else suggested and just try using the base as a buffet with either a beautiful painting or mirror over it. This would solve your problem of having no serving area in the room. Alternatively you could strip the wood of the dark finish, and/or paint the back of the cabinet a lighter colour (a pretty lighter tan but not a strong, vivid colour that would also obscure the contents. But if you are talented enough (or can find a decorative painter to do the work) to paint the breakfront in a style similar to the ventana in the posted photos above, the effect would be fantastic.

• thomaswilliams
    14 years ago

I don't know about interior.call interior designer.They giving all information.