SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

The price quote is in; I'm firing up the sewing machine

caroline94535
14 years ago

I picked out the fabric for "simple, plain drapes" from a department store. I chose a linen-look cotton with a subtle embroidered design worked in sage thread.

The two pairs of drapes, sizes 58" x 85" and 74" x 85", were to be pinch-pleated and lined.

There was a great sale, 65% off, and an additional 10% off the lowered total. I told myself they simply couldn't be that expensive.

How naive can a world-traveling, 54-year-old USAF veteran be? Apparently, pretty darned naive! LOL

The quote came in today at $946.00 for each window. Yep, nearly $2,000.00 to (plainly) dress two small windows in a small, non-descript bedroom in a small, non-descript house.

It's not happening. If I had millions in the bank it would still not be happening. I was shocked. I've lived on various bases for decades. Moving around so much, I've always made simple window coverings. Some of them are still in the basement. I've never "shopped" for drapes.

So, friend and I are off in the morning to a fabric outlet to pick out a suitable fabric. I've ordered Singer's Window Treatments book, and I'll be picking everyone's mind and talents so I hopefully end up with sturdy workable panels to hang at the windows.

I want them to add a subtle color and texture to the room; I want them to block some of the cold from the bare glass, I want them to block the neighbors' views into my bedroom. I don't want their price to be a shameful embarrassment.

I'm just certain I can make these at a much lower cost. If not; I have some old wool army blankets; I can throw them over the rods and feel right at home. LOL (Not really!)

Comments (15)