SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thistle77

new sewing machines don't see worth it

scc_ms
17 years ago

I have been sewing on my Mom's White sewing machine for 30 years. She used it for 30 years before that. It is cast iron and was built in the 1930s. Lately, I've had troubles getting the tension set correctly and I'm thinking the screw adjustment on the bobbin is just worn out. There may be some other issues as well. The once beautiful stitch is getting pretty bad and I'm thinking it might be time to get a new machine.

I went to a very high end sewing machine dealer recently and tried several models of Bernina. First, I was shocked to find that there were serious problems with every single machine I tried (5). The salesperson laughed and suggested as a joke, I should probably shop elsewhere because she just hasn't had time to keep her machines adjusted properly. I tried to be understanding, but really, it seems ridiculous that these $1500-3000 machines are so hard to keep in tune that she can't keep up with it. My 70-year-old machine has only needed adjusting when I use it for something very heavy duty. The machines at this store do not get used for classes; they are only for demos.

The second issue I have is that my machine is in a lovely cabinet that all fold ups into itself - the machine is lowered into the cabinet so that it is upside down. The sewing bed is flat with the table top. There is no "hump" to go over. But it seems that unless I want to buy a $500 cabinet on top of the the outrageously expensive machine, I will just have to put the machine on a table and get used to the "hump."

I am not interested in all the fancy stitches. My machine makes a beautiful running stitch and great 1-step buttonholes with an attachment. I have wanted a zigzag and and hemming stitch, and I'm intrigued by the feet that feed from both top and bottom because I have made several machine-quilted quilts (by feeding the fabric carefully).

I would never consider replacing my machine except I really don't think it's going to last much longer.

The lowest end Bernina was $750 which seems about twice what I feel like would be reasonable to pay given my needs.

What would you do in my shoes? I'm disappointed and disgusted.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21