SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judytiger_gw

I'm brand new at the remodeling game

judytiger
15 years ago

We own a circa 1928-1932 bungalow in SW VA. Lived in house for a year, about 40 years ago, since then it has been for summer use only.

Need to upgrade entire house, especially electrical system (30 amp/fused).I called this "Phase 1" - would include gutting first floor: new electrical (2 outlets/wall),insulation in walls, new wallboard and paint.Heat pump to be added, replacing oil furnace and wood stove for when electricity is out (usual occurrence during the winter).

My "Phase 2" would be raising half of roof to increase space in attic - making it a second floor (possible bedrooms and bath) and adding space to first floor.

After 3 estimates, I chose a renovation company to do the Phase 1 work - the contract was excellent, spelled out each room and job to be done. Price was fair and I really like the contractor (know that he is supposed to be personable) - we seem to work well together and he understands that there is X amount of dollars for the job and when the money runs out, there is no more.

Husband has decided that "raising the roof" (phase 2) should be done now - ALL one big job- get it done!!

Met with architects last week and awaiting their drawings. The contractor is pleased that we are going ahead because he saw work in Phase 1 that would need redoing if we did Phase 2 later - more money out of our pockets.

I've read horror stories about contractors, here and wonder of what I should be aware. His company has an excellent reputation in the area, he is on county committees and a few words of comdemnation would get around the area very rapidly.

He will give me a copy of what he plans to do, we will discuss each item, and I will be able to make changes before I see the actual contract.

What am I missing?? Need help/suggestions from you experts, please.

Comments (10)