SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

Hello, I'm new - with a question about ranges/cooktops

caitlinmagner
11 years ago

We are in the planning stages of converting our attached garage into a kitchen. We will probably have about 16 x 20 area of space. We plan for this kitchen to be the *heart* of our home.

**The short question is this: what is a good range/cooktop/oven for a low to moderately skilled cook who wants to get good results and maintain a beautiful appearance, without going unnecessarily over-the-top?**

If you care for the wordy back story, read on. If not, just read (and answer!) the question. :)

Right now, I am in the process of picking appliances. I will be getting all new appliances, with about 25k budgeted. I'm quite certain I want a SZ or Liebherr refrigerator, because the things these fridges provide (steady temperature, dual compressors, no freezing of food in the back, lots of room) are features that I definitely need.

My problem right now is a range/cooktop. I enjoy cooking, but a) don't have a lot of time to do it right now; and b) my skills are quite basic. I can follow a recipe (with varying degrees of success) but that's about it. So I am finding it difficult to justify the $5,000 + cost of viking, wolf, etc. ranges. I kind of feel like a fraud/snob. Having said that, I also don't want a Sears range in my new, heavily used, beautiful space kitchen.

Comments (7)