SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

need help figuring out cabinet/wall colors for this old kitchen

purrus
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Here's the kitchen in the house we're about to close on (LESS THAN A WEEK NOW! SO EXCITED!) Anyway, here's the kitchen:

I want to paint the walls, including the hideous fake z-brick, and the cabinets. The problem is, I can't figure out whether the walls would look funny painted a color like yellow or pale tan with the brick? The problem is complicated because the eat-in kitchen part of the room opens up to a big wall of that brick stuff, which you can see in the back of this pic (taken from the entry way)...there's a TON of that nasty brick stuff on the walls in that room:

So as you can see, I really need a color that will work for the walls in the kitchen, including the large brick wall shown in the last photo, and then a complementary color for the cabinets. The issue is complicated by the fact that the countertops are white...I just can't figure out what color scheme would look best, and we don't have much money to put into the kitchen right away. I would prefer white cabs but of course not against the white countertops, and then I just am having trouble visualizing a good color over that brick.

Thoughts? Or pictures? Pictures (esp of painted brick success stories) or specific colors recs would be very helpful. Thank you in advance...I REALLY need your help here!

Comments (8)