SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyosue_gw

We are now building an Addition--Not new house

wyosue
17 years ago

I have read some posts about hiring an architect and I will say right off the bat--the nearest architect, designer, etc is 200 miles (one way). We were going to build a new house next door to where we live right now but we have beautiful views from our present home and it will block those views from the new house. We are now thinking about building an Addition to this house so that my sewing room will be on the same level as my kitchen. We will add it to the North side of the garage and since the builder said part of the roof will have to be removed and new trusses ordered we have decided to make the garage a 3-car instead of small 2-car garage. I will lose my small pantry that is on the north wall so I would also like to add a walk-in pantry and I am sure there will have to be a hallway going back to my sewing room.

Right now our garage is 22'wide x 28' long with one garage door. I don't know what would be a good size for a 3-car garage. I know we were going to make the one for our new home 40'wide x 30' long but I don't know if we need something that large. My sewing room I want 16' x 30 or 18' x 30' and my pantry I would like 8' x 10'.

I have Designer Suite 6.0 and thought I could draw the existing garage and add on from there but cannot find any information about how to do that. Since I don't have very many resources in our small town, I do not know which way to go. Our builder said he would fit us in but that I would have to get something drawn up soon so he can put us on the list. He is building 3 houses right now and will be able to start ours in the Spring. I would appreciate any suggestions about where to start.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Comments (3)