SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpost79_gw

Built new house now need to build a lawn

jpost79
13 years ago

I have been browsing through these posts for a few days now and wanted to ask about my specific situation. My wife and I built a house on about 5 acres of old farm land in central Ohio so the ground is pretty fertile. The only problem I'm having is planting grass up around the house where they graded the landscape using the dirt they dug out from the foundation so it's more of a tan color than the darker brown found elsewhere in my yard. I used a rockhound in the spring to get larger rocks out and break the ground up a bit to put some seed down. I bought some good seed from a recommended source and it's called a sports turf fescue. So I spread the seed after used the rockhound and after spreading I rolled it to pack it into the ground a little. The guy I bought seed from at the time told me I didn't need to cover the ground with straw because the temps were fine it all straw does is introduce weeds so I left it uncovered. Our land is basically flat but the grade up next to the house has a little more of a slope too it and after a few heavy rains in the spring a lot of the seed washed down to the lower areas.

So, fast forward to now (late summer) and there are some spots of grass up next to the house and plenty of weeds and crabgrass sprouting up here and there. I still have 100lbs of seed left and want to do something this fall because I heard it is a good time to plant grass seed but want to make sure I'm doing it right and at the right time. Since there is grass growing in the less fertile tan dirt do you all think I still need to till it with top soil? Or should I just till it to break it up and then seed and roll like I did before but this time cover the ground with something like straw or peatmoss. What is the advantage of peatmoss? I have a tractor but not a tiller for it. I planned to borrow a push tiller even though it is quite a bit of area to cover with it. Or would I be better off building some kind of baseball diamond drag to pull behind my tractor to break up the ground? Like a piece of chain link fence with some cinder blocks attached to it. And then should I fertilize soon after planting? Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I do it right this time so I have a yard soon. Thanks!

Comments (7)