SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anajane_gw

Remodel snafu - who bears the responsibility here?

anajane
11 years ago

In a nutshell - paid architect to plot out bathroom remodels, with washer/dryer to be in same room. Several photos were sent to her of washer/dryers enclosed with armoire-style doors, under a countertop. I asked if that could be incorporated into our design, and she thought it was a great use of space. Put plans out to bid, met with all bidders and specifically pointed out where w/d were to go - and how they were to be enclosed with these doors below countertop. And the contractor who got the bid reaffirmed that it would be done as shown in the plans. Skip ahead - time now to 'make the structure' - and now there are questions as to how it could be done. I said I would pay to have the architect draw up the dimensions indicating how these should be installed. We get the detailed page. Formica countertop gets put into place, w/d get put into place - and they proceed to work on how the armoire doors would be situated. When I attempt to use washer for the 1st time, I find I can't open the compartment that contains the detergent and bleach enough to actually pour in the detergent. The countertop is in the way. It appears that the functional design of the machine being enclosed - front-load washer - was not taken into consideration.

We might be able to salvage the work already done here by cutting the countertop over the compartment area to create a piece that I could 'slide' to access the compartment when needed - and then just lovingly drape a towel or place a plant over it when I wished it not to be so bluntly visible.

Now the question: Who absorbs the extra cost for the time to make this adjustment? Should the architect have taken something like this into consideration when putting this in the plans - seeing as the washer becomes ineffective if I can't access it properly to wash the clothes. Does the contractor - having bid on the job with the plans stating how the w/d were to be enclosed - absorb the cost? [He is building it according to the architect's spec, so I don't feel that he should be responsible here.] Or do I absorb the cost because it didn't state in the plans that the countertop needed this unique handling. And I should have done 'due diligence' to know this?

Comments (18)