SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_172285809

bathroom tile nightmare.. who’s responsible?

SA
5 years ago
Hello all,

I really need your input on this on determining who should take the expenses.

Background:
I hired a GC and he hired his tile men to do the job.

They started the work yesterday, and I noticed some things that bothered me later in the day but I was hesitant to address it because a lot of the tiles (very expensive ones) were already up and I was scared that those tiles would go to waste.

And this morning, I couldn’t stand it any more and so I decided to address it to my GC and he’s making me pay for all of the expenses to redo the job (one full day of work of his tile men, new tiles, new hardie backed board, etc.)

Problem:
The problem is that the full piece of tile started from the bottom of the wall and went up. Because of this, the top of the wall was left with awkwardly small pieces.
They also didn’t take the space around the door frame and the dimension of the partition wall into account when starting out their work. Because of this, they opted to add awkward 4 small pieces above the door, and the partition wall would also have to end up with another small piece on top (please see pic).

I’m thinking this was overall a bad planning of the job. And being that I’m not a professional but my GC is, he should have caught it in the beginning and made sure they were doing it the right way. But my GC argues this is just a matter of my preference, and that they have been doing their work like this all the time with no problem.

Question:
Is it OK to just leave the tile as is? Once the grout is on, would it look better, as in seamless and unnoticeable?
If it needs to change like the way I want, then who pays for what? It thought it was more than reasonable for me to offer that I pay for additional materials, but not for labor because GC should have known better and directed them the right way. But he asks that I also pay for his tile men’s labor. Who is right?

Comments (45)