SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooperbailey

Never asked this before.... Help please!

cooperbailey
13 years ago

We are going to look at these CL chairs this weekend.

They look pretty cottagey to me, and I do remember someone here bought similar chairs and posted a droolworthy magazine photo with like chairs.... Not planning to paint them.( can you believe I said that??)

SO. I need your help! I am thinking that I can very easily make cushion covers from fabulous fabric. Which is important since with our goldens the arms and front of furniture soils quickly just from them leaning against it for their pats therefore washable slipcovers a must. The chair I have now I bought for a song and was going to slipcover(learn as I go)The other chair is my favorite - an old wicker chair. What do you think of one or both of the CL chairs going in my living room?The wooden ones would take the place of the blue print chair and possibly/probably the wicker chair.

I think they will go well with my RH slipcovered sofa and antique stuff and oriental rug in a cottagey sort of way. But am not sure.

The room is not white, it is a soft yellow green-called dancing light( think light pea soup) the color is most like the photo with Cooper lying in front of the door. I am thinking of painting a pale pale blue- if the shoe paintings go with DD when she gets an apt since she did paint them after all.Also the WTs will change- I made those and am tired of them.And I am always thinking about what color I might want to paint the painted pieces.Oh and the baby gate is gone since Cooper healed well from his ACL surgery.

anyhoo wrote a book. please take a look and see what you think. the room is 23x 13 1/2 so the size is good.Oh they are 120 for the pair but will offer less. Thanks ya'll

Comments (43)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Cooperbailey I like the chair but it does not look cottage like to me, even slip covered. Maybe someone could post the picture you were talking about.

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

I personally have never seen chairs like those--I've seen the wood frame ones that look more craftsman style--I would go look at them and if you like them and they are comfortable-go for it.

• Related Discussions

Weird bug-never saw before, please help

Q

Comments (3)
    THAT is a ladybug larvae. Unless it's larger than about 1/4 inch or so. There are many many different kinds of ladybugs, but also plenty of beetles that look like them. A picture would aid in getting your beetle identified. Do they have spots? Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Leaf Problem I've Never Seen Before - Please Help!!! (Pics)

Q

Comments (10)
    I see similar leaves every year and do not know what causes them. My plants seem to get affected after a sharp drop in temperature after some very hot days. They always continue to grow and produce. The weird leaves may only last for 1 or 2 branches then return to normal. As the deformed leaves grow in size they often get more and more normal looking. Acid rain? Air polution? Herbicide drift? I don't know but I think you will still get tomatoes, at least I did for the last 3 years with plants that developed leaves like the ones you posted.
    ...See More

2 More Qs for ya, 1 never asked before I bet

Q

Comments (3)
    thanks dig, that would explain the slow growth. Soil temp is low due to the ceaseless cold rain. Raised beds, 'tainers aren't going to help that. Ambient temperature is low due to... it being cold. Ambient light is low due to the unending clouds. In the green house, soil temp was 60-70 rain or shine, day, or night. Jute/burlap I make weird homemade starter pots out of burlap. That jute was purchased 8 months ago. I noticed strong correlation that the tomato leaves that touched it died. I was having other leaf death problems at the same time(which you identified correctly). Coincidence? I was unsure so I figured I would ask here. The roots were unaffected by touching the jute. And today I just made a raised bed like thing out of jute and was a bit concerned it might hurt the plants due to the above experience. This stuff I used today is about 3 years old.
    ...See More

Layout Help Needed - Never Remodeled Before

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks remodelfla. The pantry that I had was on the way down the steps to the basement. About 22" deep of space, and hard to get to. After reading a lot of the help threads the last 2 months I did think that if I can find a home for my frig elsewhere, that I could maybe use that bottom space in the traffic area for a 12 to 15" built-in pantry. I can really relate to items getting lost in the back! Either that, or part pantry and part counter top for a serving area. Even though the closet we tore out stuck out 28" into that walkway, I don't really want to put 24" deep cabinets there. I have really enjoyed the more open feel these last few months since we tore it out.
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

I like the chair but I really like the ones you have in there now. I might just be lacking vision though.

What if you maybe start with the paint? I like the idea of a pale, pale blue.

You made the window treatments? Wow, I need to learn how to really work my sewing machine. :)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

It looks like Cushman Colonial. They made vaguely colonial revival pieces like this your paddle armed chair in red birch and other woods usually with this maple stain. They are cottagey in the sense that they are casual pieces made for small midcentury houses. The camp ("cottage" to most people) I went to on weekends when I was a toddler was full of this stuff.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

They were often slipcovered in chintz, and there was a lighter variant of this chair that had an unfinished seat deck that was covered by a skirted cushion that tied on.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Think about sitting in that chair with the block of wood directly below the seat cushion. Before buying, sit in them for a while and see how they feel.

• leahcate
    13 years ago

I like them...but not in your pretty cottagy room with white mantle and lovely french doors. They belong on a screened porch by a lake in Wisconsin, or by a stone hearth in Montana with bear, moose and fish decor. Very cool, but not in your space, imo. BTW, I LIKE both the wicker and blue print chair!

• natal
    13 years ago

Your room feels eclectic to me ... I think they'd easily fit. If they pass the "sit" test grab 'em. You can always swap chairs around.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I just saw "that" chair on my local CL. Said the arms could hold a beer AND a sandwich in the listing. :0) Yes...well. You have a bedroom nightstand painted white, used as an end table? White wicker, not in a sunroom or enclosed porch....a country pine coffee table painted white....pictues of womens pieces parts on your walls, flowered curtains.... Screams...I'm single....I am woman!! Now as for that beer and a sandwich chair....r u thinkin about having a guy over?

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That looks like a Morris recliner to me...but I am not an expert.

• larke
    13 years ago

Yuck.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The Cushman Colonial chairs on 1stDibs (which is a pricey antique dealers website), are $3250, $2700, and $2200 respectively. Yours are a good deal.

They will change the look of the room considerably, but they are not that inconsistent with what you have going on, particularly with the right slipcover. For that price I would consider stripping them and ligthtening up the finish a bit. Painting them would not be good.

Here is a link that might be useful: cushman.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

A colonial style attempt at imitating a Morris chair. I like what you have better.

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I sway back and forth on this one- I have an idea, just not sure it will work.I hadn't been able to get it out of my mind and when I saw the CL ad, I jumped on it.
    Palimpset thanks for the Cushman lead- I have had fun googling Cushman colonial, and I didn't think of 1st Dibs at all. Wouldn't it be fun if the pieces were really worth that much! I also finally found the photo I was thinking about from the House Beautiful website. The chairs are similar to the one in the foreground. I do recognize that my room is not even close in any way to the photo. But I am liking Palimpsets idea of a chintz- I had been thinking of a toile. This is fun.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I love what you currently have...pretty room~
    but do think your idea will work. (esp after seeing the House Beautiful pic!) Chintz or that ticking would look great!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I agree with you CB, about the fascination with those chairs, having seen the HB photos. That type of furniture comes up on my CL regularly here in MA. I think they are a nice change from what you have now and agree with the chintz idea. Apparently, chintz if due for a comeback...probably already there in the upper echelons.

A friend of mine has these chairs. I am curious if they are comfortable. I expect they are since they were fairly popular. Sandwich and a beer...hahaha! Good luck!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Look, if it isn't going to cost you much, go get them. It's not like your selling the farm in order to buy them. And with such a good price you can play with them and change your mind back and forth as you see fit.

As far as 1st dibs goes, they have the most gorgeous things on earth (that's what their brochure says) but really they are outrageous.
    Allison bought a antique french butcher's horse head on there and paid a considerable amount. And in that case it was worth it, it looks lovely in her home and she does live in horse country. I would love to have that darn horse head!

But for the most part, they are way over priced (this is only my opinion) unless you are looking for a 1962 vintage Valentino brouch or something. But it's nice to know that places like that exist, if you have the means. I repeat this is only MY opinion.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

I agree with natal. Also, since the room is so large, it can easily handle, and probably benefit from, the contrast of some unpainted surfaces.

They seem to have a certain mass, though, even though the backs are open (like that). Make sure they won't feel too heavy to you. I think the touch of heaviness will be nice, but it will change the balance of the room.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

How would they look as a second seating area or just one of them as an accent on the other end of the room near the beautiful door -- maybe move out the armless chair and re-orient the victorian table? I ask this because the main fireplace seating area looks good already, and I can see the end tables in the fireplace area looking less good with the new chairs than they do with the current chairs.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Cooperbailey

I think you are ahead of the decorating curve with these:)

Vintage furniture like this that never had much of a pedigree to begin with goes through a period where nobody wants it. (Even pedigreed stuff: when I was a freshman in college they got rid of the Eames Fiberglass chairs in my dorm--just a couple years too soon).

Then, it starts to show up in hipster apartments: its cheap, its available, and it is considered ugly enough or nerdy enough to have a cool, in your face attitude. I guarantee you I could follow a tattooed kid home and find an apartment full of Spanish Mediterranean furniture in crushed velvet.

It starts to show up more and more at dealers as the original owners die and maybe as the post-college kids get "real furniture". This is how Hollywood Regency came onto the market in the late 90s early 2000s. So, designers start seeing it, start thinking about it, and start integrating it into their work.

If you look at designer's work, especially higher concept designers -- you can dissect the room and see that they know the value of the "ugly duckling"--there will generally be something that is a little bit off, a little bit incorrect, or ugly---and it creates a dynamic that is more interesting than "pretty" room where everything is "just so".

So while these chair will never win awards for refined esthetics, I think they have something going for them --they are "comfort" furniture, much in the way that baked beans right out of the can are comfort food.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I think the chairs are kinda cool but I am not crazy about the tone of the wood. A little too orange? I like the idea of not painting them but I wonder if you refinished them in a different stain? There are so many tinted stains in different colors. (I keep picturing a greyed down tone?)

BTW, LOVE the color of the walls. Who makes Dancing Light? I have been looking for a split pea soup color.

• jlc712
    13 years ago

I like the chairs-- IF they are comfortable. Sounds like you are ready for a change, so it can't hurt to try them out.

I can see pale blue walls, maybe a sisal rug like your inspiration pic, and do the cushions in a nice fabric. I really like the ticking stripe idea. Maybe some simple panels or roman shades on the windows? If you were going to change some of your painted pieces, what about a dark blue or dark olive?

Love your chandelier, fireplace and french doors!

Jen

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

How many of us have a set of these in the attic? (I do.)
    No they aren't stamped with the KnollStudio logo and BreuerÂs signature, but they look identical and are of high quality.

$1,342.00USD each?!?! Bwahahaha.

You can buy this re-issue here:

http://www.dwr.com/product/new/dining/cesca-arm-chair-cane.do?sortby=ourPicks

Here is a link that might be useful: Seriously?

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Cooperbailey, I love those chairs and if you have scoured the internet looking at Cushman Colonial like you say you have, you probably already seen that, and similar wood frame chairs done up in vibrant or cool looking fabric and know those chairs have great potential. Even if you leave them with the current fabric they will/can work. I say "Go for it". They look like they would fit in well with your vision. Your current room with it's casual, eclectic look is blog-worthy. Once you get the new chairs you may have to tweak things around a bit and add/remove a couple things for the right balance but they will look fabulous in your setting. An eclectic style is constantly evolving and not a pre-packaged look. Those chairs are most likely way better quality than anything you could pick up today at that price. Don't let them be the ones that 'got away'.

• amck2
    13 years ago

I just love those chairs and contributed to the previous post on Cushman referencing the HB spread featuring them. If I could find a couple I would redecorate around them.

That said, I'm in agreement with the camp that prefers what you have in the room as it presently stands. But if you get them at a good price & "tuck them away" you'll probably be glad you did.

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Just got back from taking DD out for a little graduation dinner. I will let you all know if we get them or not. We decided that if they are in good shape, no creaks and are comfortable we will get them- we may be able to use them a couple of different areas.
    Liked KKs and Pals idea of sanding and restaining) cheap enough to send out to be dipped)
    KK - Dancing Light is a Biltmore Estate collection color from Olympic got at Lowes.The only green that I liked in any light or time of day.
    Blogworthy? my house? nah. But thanks for the compliments.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I hope you get them Coop because in my opinion they will look great in your pretty room.
    I found similar furniture on CL the last two summers for our screened in porch. I have fabric, just not the time. I plan on painting them white. Well until I say it, then I think NO I can't paint real wood. But then it is a porch.
    Okay enough of that. Here's a picture of the chairs. The two with burgundy cushions were a set (gliders) for $25. The one in the center came with a matching settee and coffee table all for $25. I wish the gliders weren't as bulky, but gosh they are comfy, and my son picked them up for me or I may not have bought them.
    The seats on them all are that wiggly "S" like springs so you are not sitting on wood.
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

cooperbailey-

I love those c hairs and think they would work exceptionally well in your room, they are a great look with the wicker, painted white FP surround and f rench doors. I don't know much about styles, so can't say if they are strictly cottage or not, but they have a great vibe and would look great in your LR.

Here are a couple of pics of our similar c hair and couch in our camp, a place badly in need of a lot of work, and nothing like your lovely LR, but it may give you another visual. They were in there when we bought the place and I refinished them and had new cushions made. They're comfy and durable and we love them.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I like the idea of a good strong ticking stripe for those chairs...like the cushions on the Morris chair in your concept room. It would be a nice counterpoint to your pretty prints and white painted things, particularly if you freshen up the finish to look more like the ones in sandyponder's camp.

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chairs are home! The person was just lovely- we seem to meet the nicest people on CL. They are very comfortable and the finish is worn so nicely on the front of the arms. But I think we will need to get them dipped and de- orange them. They had been her DM's and she recently had the upholstery redone with fabric that has that 40s 50- boucle/loopy looking texture. They are immaculate so they can be used immediately but I need to get busy looking for new fabric!
    btw I paid $80 for the pair. And bought a wonderful Buddha statue for my DS that she had brought back in her backpack from northern India.
    Am gonna have a lotta fun with these chairs. If they don't work in the LR then they will go up on the 3rd floor. Sandy- I love your camp and the furniture!
    Yippee! ( yeah who says that anymore?)

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So excited I forgot-
    A big thank you to all who responded to my request for feedback! I really was surprised that anyone liked my LR as is, and was very pleased to see your lovely examples of similar chairs. It was very much appreciated. Right now they are just dumped by the front door but I will post photos when I can.( I am sitting in one now) I may be asking for advice as to fabric at a later date.
    Have a great Sunday afternoon everyone.

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So excited I forgot-
    A big thank you to all who responded to my request for feedback! I really was surprised that anyone liked my LR as is, and was very pleased to see your lovely examples of similar chairs. It was very much appreciated. Right now they are just dumped by the front door but I will post photos when I can.( I am sitting in one now) I may be asking for advice as to fabric at a later date.
    Have a great Sunday afternoon everyone.

• nanjean68
    13 years ago

I call chairs like those - Early Relative.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I love those chairs, CB. I've had my three for about 30 years. I bought mine, used, at a garage sale, for about $25-30 each. I used them in my cottage-style apartment before I was married, making new cushion covers in a chintz.

After we married, they traveled out there to New Mexico and I used them in our family room.

When we moved to this house, I put them out on our covered front portal (veranda), where they've been for the past 17 years. Every couple of years I make new cushion covers for them.
    I posted pics here last summer, when I redid everything out there once again. I love mine. I think they worked wonderfully in my Cottage-style apartment and I love them on our front portal. They're incredibly sturdy and very comfy. Just make sure the cushions are thick enough, if not, make some new ones that are.
    Here are a couple of pics of mine. The newest fabric is a bright, cheerful Mexican print. This redo was inspired by AuntJen's pretty porch. I think we all fell in love with her reno last year.
    Lynn

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Good for you! I think they'll be lovely with new slipcovers, and I do think they fit the room.

I said this on that prior Cushman thread...I had bought one of those chairs at a thrift for dirt cheap ($15, I think, certainly no more than $25) with intentions to recover it. Everyone that looked at it said "Eeww." We liked the chair, because it was the sturdiest piece in the house, and was very comfortable.

Anyway, when we were getting ready to move, everyone implied that the chair just wouldn't suit the new house, and perhaps we could get "better" furniture, so I donated it back to the thrift. Now I'm just kicking myself, because I have a room that would be perfect for a chair like that. And I'd bet the next time I see one at a thrift, the price will have gone up considerably.

Be sure an post pics when it's finished!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I'm thrilled you got them Coop
    Lynn, I always love seeing any part of your home.
    Sandy, you have a lovely camp home.
    The difference in fabrics in the photos shared goes to show you how versatile these chairs are.

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone who posted photos of your beloved chairs- Thanks! All of the photos were inspiring to me. I spent the evening last night surfing for fabric leaning towards ticking! too bad vintage french ticking is so scarce not to mention pricey.
    Franksmom sorry to hear about your chair- I have quite a few things that I gave away that I wished I had now. oh well.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

I think my mom has a couple of those chairs in her basement. I think my mom needs a visit. Hi mom! Can I have your chairs? She is in a decluttering mode too!
    Thanks cooper! You have opened my eyes to the decorating possibilities of Cushman chairs.

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DD you need to go right over to your Moms and rescue those chairs! and then post photos.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Oh yes, by all means go rescue those chairs and share photos!

• PRO
  • justgotabme
    13 years ago

Oh good! Thanks.

• loves2read
    13 years ago

Those chairs brought back memories of my aunt's house when I was growing up--she had two chairs and a couch and a round table in that same style -- with the slightly orangy-finish--
    but I thought they were some type of "ranch" style
    from the Texas area
    that is where she lived...