SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtpam2

Layout Help Needed - Never Remodeled Before

mtpam2
12 years ago

Hi everyone. I am in the midst of a kitchen remodel that started with tearing out wall cupboards hanging over my peninsula, and morphed into a full kitchen gut and remodel. We've gone about it all backwards, and currently have everything (except my sink cabinet) torn out and and can't seem to settle on a layout that we are happy with. My husband and I are doing it ourselves, and although my husband is very handy, we have done very little remodeling in the past.

Currently, it is just my husband and myself, and one of our (mostly) grown daughters living at home. (We have 3 girls.) We cook almost all our meals at home. When the girls were all home we baked regularly, now mostly just for holidays.

We live in an older 2 story house with a basement. The kitchen was added on to the back and is one story over a basement. The current stove wall is load bearing and can't be moved.

We just replaced windows and siding in the last couple years so my husband doesn't want to change the location of the windows.

We have a 30” electric range which can be moved as we are rewiring the entire kitchen.

We have a 36” sink base, double sink. My husband doesn't really want to move the sink, but would consider it. Our furnace is in the room below the sink, and as we have hot water heat, there are a lot of pipes running down there, so where the sink was moved to would make a difference.

I have a 36" SxS Fridge which is currently sitting in my living room which I purchased when my old one quit. That's when I discovered that it wouldn't fit in the old location in the upper right corner.

I plan on putting in 42" upper cabinets, possibly an OTR microwave and a built in dishwasher in place of the portable dishwasher that sat by our table.

The table is 36”x60” with extensions. With just the 3 of us, we have taken out the extension, and it is only 36”x48”. We do not have a dining room. I would consider moving the table further into the room and not right against the wall the way it is now.

During demo we tore out the 28" x 60” closet on the bathroom wall and plan on getting rid of the 30” door and making the opening into the LR somewhere between 36” to 48” wide, depending on how we arrange everything else. We also are going to install a 32” pocket door between the kitchen and bathroom.

Could you please help me figure out the best layout for this room? It is not small, but with the doorways and windows, I can't seem to find a good place for the fridge.

In the second layout the fridge is where the closet used to be. I am worried that it is too deep (33” w/o handle) for what is a busy walkway. The hallway to the basement stairs also leads to the back door. We park in back and enter the house from that direction. Also, our laundry and daughter's bedroom is in the basement.

Or should I put the fridge and stove together on the inside wall? Or put it in the top left corner close to the sink? And is there any way to move my stove to the outside wall?

Sorry for all the questions, but any suggestions you can give me would be a great help! Thanks so much.

Any suggestions you can give me would be a great help! Thanks so much.

Pamla

Comments (3)