SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

going to loose my house? :(

lisa11310
16 years ago

Hello all. I am a regular in the nature forums. I hope I have come to the right forum for help. I feel pretty stupid to have let this happen but it did. We first purchased our house 4 years ago. It was the first time my Husband had bought a house. The decision to buy came quickly. We were put into an "intrest only" loan. After 2 years we had to refinance and the broker put us in an adjustable rate mortgage. My husband had asked for a 30 year fixed but the broker insisted that this was a better deal. I wish we would have had time to do some research. STUPID I KNOW. Now we are at that point where the ARM has expired and our payments will go through the roof. The housing market has taken a dump and the apraiser can not find any comps to support the value we need to refinance. Do I have any options? I am pretty untrusting since the person we had worked with screwed us over not once but twice. Can anybody help me figure out how to save our home?

Comments (44)

• househunting
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't a clue but a little prayer never hurt anyone. Sending good thoughts your way.

• lavern
    16 years ago

You need to contact your mortgage company. Supposely there was a program put in place to help people in your situation. They are suppose to extend the ARM's for 5 years. Good Luck!

• Related Discussions

worried about loosing my oleanders

Q

Comments (10)
    Barbra, the house I bought in Port Isabel has two stands of oleander--all across the front and against a fence one side of the house. When we purchased the house in February 2009, they were waist high, but had obvious signs of hard pruning in the past. I let them grow and by the end of last year they were headed for 10'. Where I'm from, in California, they're large freeway plants that thrive on neglect. I'd never heard of pruning them. But, here, on this property, they were becoming thick, looming presences so I cut them by half, which made them 4-5' tall. That was a month ago. They're already jumping back, I don't think you can hurt them. JMV PS mine are composted and mulched, which is more coddling than I ever would have given them in California.
    ...See More

What could be causing constant loose stool in my puppy?

Q

Comments (7)
    GSD's are known for a few things. A sensitive stomach, having a hard head and allergies, all sorts of them, (food, air born, you name it). They are without a doubt my favorite dog, very guarding, loyal, and basically a "one person dog". It is nothing unusual for puppies to experience what you describe. Their little systems are developing, just like that of a two legged infant. That said, pups need to be monitored carefully for at least the first 5-6 months. What might seem "normal" for a puppy, can rapidly turn into a real mess, literally and figuratively. Make sure you keep your vet informed about what is going on. Research everything that happens to your pup and what vets prescribes and says. Consider making a daily chart of the dogs habits so you can have something to refer to if you run into issues you need to deal with (you will, trust me). There are lots of people who have different opinions about what to feed their dogs. What you experienced may have been part of the problem, maybe not. Who really knows. Given that you are starting to have issues with the ears and stomach, I would just not take a chance and switch to a hypo allergic food (I think venison and potato is best). This is a top quality food you can get only by prescription. Ive used it for 17 years with great success. My old girl who was Lab/Shepard had a corn allergy, it took care of that and Im convinced helped her to live to be 14, even though she had at least three other very serious health issues. I now have two dogs on it, one because of a wheat allergy, the other a Shepard/Hound has the same thing plus a history of UTI that has been under control since September 07 (thank you Sirius God Dog). You mention poop eating and supervision. Your pup should have every second supervision, with a leash when not crated, until she has: Teething and chewing under control, and is house trained, with no accidents for 9 months (aside from illness). Without having these very basic behavior issues under control, she is just not ready for unsupervised freedom. Good luck! SG
    ...See More

Is it me or is HomeGoods loosing it's touch?

Q

Comments (52)
    Here is the trick about HomeGoods - you need to go often - the really good stuff goes so fast. The one in Louisville, KY does have a lot of junk but they have some wonderful things too. My friend has been looking for those very large blue and white Chinese lidded urns - very Ralph Lauren looking in the right decor - they are hundred of dollars in the decorating stores but our HomeGoods had them a few months ago. She also bought two solid marble slab tables (white with dark veining) - they look like they came out of an old conservatory - a few chips here and there but they honestly look like they jumped off the pages of Veranda magazine....they were on clearance because of the chips for under $30 a piece. I recently needed a very large outdoor rug in neutral colors - very hard to find the large ones but HomeGoods had a great one at a great price. This past week I purchased several large dark green glazed pots - gorgeous and inexpensive. I agree that the quality of some of the merchandise seems to have gone down hill a bit (I remember when they had wonderful lamps), but they do get some very nice things in - but they go quickly.
    ...See More

How to make my earthy kitchen go with the rest of my house?

Q

Comments (28)
    I absolutely adore that blue hutch in your kitchen and the sunroom ceiling color. Amazing! Seeing the tones in those and the floor/cabinets/counters, I would chose a fairly neutral tone trim color like BM Simply White. If the tone has any warm reds it could read pink (our engineered cherry floors did this to us) or yellows it will emphasize the counters. Since your floors have an orange tone (at least on my monitor) and that's opposite on the color wheel from the blue hutch and accents throughout your home, I recommend not encouraging or contrasting that color. Essentially, adding more warm color tones like Cotton Balls would make the warm tones even more dominant and adding cool would provide contrast, potentially making the warm pop more. A neutral tone will let the two coexist without dominance. Threers is right about lighting too. My husband rebelled at daylight lights in most rooms, but our kitchen was the one room that really needed it. Higher kelvins can wash out some of the warm tones, which can make the colors better go with the rest of your home.
    ...See More
  • rrah
    16 years ago

Lavern, You are correct in that the fed govt. this kind of program, but it was just recently approved--the last 2 weeks or so. It's not set up yet.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Regardless, the OP should contact their mortgage company and see it they can work something out.

• mariend
    16 years ago

No you are not stupid. Repeat to me I AM NOT STUPID!!!
    just let yourself talked into somthing you did not want. You could go back to that broker and tell him/her how unhappy you are and contact the mortgage co and talk to the head person in person if possible and tell them since the broker gave you the wrong information now they have to fix it. Sometimes they also don't know what is going on, especially if they are young.
    Go to a bank or credit union and talk to the manager, explain the situation and ask about re-financing.
    GET everything in writing and do some homework and write down everyting you want to know and do not leave until you get answers.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you Mariend.....I AM NOT STUPID! Thank you all. I did read today about the program that will freeze the ARM. I hope this takes effect soon enough to save us. It seem to me you need to have a degree in home buying these days to be sure you are not getting screwed. I will say that the broker had no way of knowing that the housing market would be so bad at this time, but I also think he should have dug deeper to get us the mortgage we wanted. I will do whatever I can to not become another statistic so I am open to all of your suggestions.BTW househunting....there certainly is power in prayer and believe me I have been praying. Thanks Again!

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

I agree with the other posters -- contact your mortgage company and see if anything can be worked out.

• dannysue40
    16 years ago

In order to qualify, you MUST be current on your payments. Be careful and good luck.

• galore2112
    16 years ago

Oh, for once a "face" (or login-alias) of a stereotypical homeowner subject to the credit mess.

Usually there are loads of vicious posts in threads about the anonymous ARM-defaulter ("those stupid people deserve it - why BAIL them out. So UNFAIR (wah! wah! wah!)!!!) - not here, because it would be impolite to you, I presume.

The power of coming out, I guess. LOL!

I think you have the following options:
    * tighten your belt and try to make the inflated mortgage payments (get rid of car payments (buy a $1500 beater), eat ramen and bulk cereal, don't go to the movies, shop at Goodwill...)
    * sell you house, if possible.
    * hope for a bailout.
    * go into foreclosure.
    * go into bankruptcy to wipe out unsecured consumer debt, if you have that.

It is tough, I know. Sorry.

• katinka-katinka
    16 years ago

Here is just one link I have ran across in articles about foreclosure. I would def start taking some action now and contact your lender and you are going to have to educate yourself quickly and be very wary and make sure groups that want to help you are legitimate. I would get in contact with my local non-profit consumer credit counseling organization.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development has a list of government-sanctioned counselors on its Web site, www.hud.gov. Also try the National Foundation of Credit Counselors, www.nfcc.org, or the Homeownership Preservation Foundation, www.995hope.org (888-995-HOPE).

I might be wrong, but I get the impression that the help that is now available for homeowners is still something you are going to have to approach your lender about. do not wait to call them and be persistent. I think this is not a time to sit back and hope things work out on their own.

I hope are you able to get things straightened out.

Here is a link that might be useful: What to do when your mortgage is underwater and you can't pay

• chisue
    16 years ago

Is this a great forum or what! Hope the OP follows up on the great leads here.

Makes me sad to hear her try to excuse the mortgage broker. She doesn't understand that he almost certainly got a bigger commission by steering her into these mortgages and out of the traditional one they qualified for.

• househunting
    16 years ago

Since you have not defaulted yet you will be OK.

My brother didn't pay for about 5 months because he lost his job. He had refied into a ARM a year or so prior.

The bank called him, though he was avoiding the phone thinking it was for collection. The Bank forgave over 5000 he owed in back payments and adjusted his rate to one that is not a ARM. To put it in his words "they saved my A**". This was after I prayed for him and his family, buy the way ;)

I have to admit it stings a little to hear that he paid reduced rates for a year, didn't pay at all for months and now is getting a lower rate than those of us who did the extra work, paid the extra money from the get go, and made sure we got the regular rate. The fact that now my home is worth less because of it stings as well.

I can certainly understand why people are mad but, staying angry does not fix the problem it just makes it difficult for people to talk about it constructively.

I don't think it was stupidity I think it was not being an informed and educated consumer and being tempted in to a bigger nicer house with low payments by a smiling guy *helping* you.

All in all I know a lot of people with little kids who are in the same boat and it is the Holiday season, so instead of being angry, I will pray for the whole sitatution to some how get better for every one.

• dabunch
    16 years ago

Lisa, No you are not stupid. I hope things work out for you. I'm sure this is a rude awakening for you.

Something that I've learned in my OLD AGE: DO NOT trust that the Government will protect you. Do NOT listen to VERBAL jargon. What is in writing & what you SEE is what you are getting, not what some slick salesman or a politician is selling you.

When it comes to finances you are on your own, because NOBODY cares about your wallet.

Finally, there has been some Media exposing the banking practices. Not enough IMO. We need stronger protection laws. When it comes to money, we are lied to by many industries. The LINGO that is used in contracts/paperwork is specific to THAT industry, so how is a typical person supposed to be versed in every jargon? It's done porposely, so you as the consumer end up paying for everything & the implication is that it's you're fault because you are too stupid to understand their underwriting. Well, how about if we have laws in place to make the LANGUAGE SIMPLE, understood by everybody, not just THE INDUSTRY? Yeah, yeah sure, get a lawyer. Well, not everyone is well off to afford attorney fees.
    Many times, people get in by the skin of their teeth. Every dollar counts. Nothing against attornies, but why do the contracts need to be written so that only a select few understand? Is that again to allow certain people (most of the politicians are attorneys!) more power over the "broke consumer? They should make it understandable for a typical person with a High School education. Period. There is no need for fancy jargon unless you are trying to hide something.

What if the doctor used only medical terms when speaking to you? Would you know what is wrong with you? Probably not. That is why we need things "spelled out". Trickery should be obandoned. Businesses need to stop the fine print practices. People need to rebel.

I wish people would wake up to the Healthcare problem also & not think that the governament will protect us. Aside from the mortgage costs, healthcare is a big expense issue. EVERYBODY is thinking it won't be them. Politicians & the Insurance Lobbyists are lying to us about Universal healthcare. They want us to stay away from it because the Insurance Industry would not make any money.
    I have relatives in France. They have Universal healthcare Their healthcare is AWESOME. When I told them what our politicians are telling us they couldn't believe that Americans were so stupid to believe politicians & the Insurance Industry & that we don't check into the real Universal coverage facts. The French have access to every modern test etc in a quick manner...

Sorry this turned into a rant but I feel that we're too trusting of our leaders who are sending us down the tubes. Maybe previous leaders had more integrity & we learned to trust, but now it seems we are regressing to being sold snake oil & the leaders only care about their own wallets.

Good luck Lisa. I hope you qualify for that bandaid solution. Any help is better than none. If we had SIMPLE LANGUAGE in the documents & better protection, you wouldn't be in that position to begin with.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Once agian thanks guys and I surley will follow up on all these suggestions. I am not one of those that comes in asking for help and then does not act on what people have shared. (we get a lot of those in the Blue Bird forum)We are current on our payments, have never been more that a day or two late ever. Just so you know my realtor was a close friend and she suggested this broker guy so I trusted him.Our credit was good but the credit to debt ratio was not so we believed the intrest only was going to be the only way to get into this house. I am not excusing him,but I am sure he would not have put us in a situation that would put our house in jepordy, I am sure he figured we would come back to him again and put more money in his pocket. The suggestions about tightening our belts.....well of course, we heat with wood....(exclusivley)..have no gas or water bill..no cable TV so I have dial up and $9.00 AOL. live 30 miles from town so we don't go out to eat except for special occasions...I drive a 10 yr old Kia that is paid for and I LOVE shopping at Goodwill, it's kinda like a treasure hunt. I have not gone to a mall (except for Christmas) in years. I believe the last movie I saw in a theater was posidon adventure when it came out. I much prefer to stay out here in the woods than go into town for entertainment. There is plenty of entertainment here.(like Bird Watching)
    I though we were doing this re finance thing at the right time and had a 30 yr fixed FHA lined up @ 6.325 interest, the loan written and approved, all we were wating for was the apraisal. I thought we did it right this time. I have faith and will let go and let GOD. I am sure by following up on all the good information you folks have given we will work this thing out. As one of you suggested I may have to go back to the underhanded shiester that got us into this mess and DEMAND that he find a way to fix it, I sure will be prepared to say NO to any hair brained thing he has to say. I will not let the urgancy of the situation allow me to be swayed. Hopefully I will be back here soon asking for advise on sifting through all the bogus closing cost I now know we can refuse to pay.
    You guys are great!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

The decision to buy came quickly. We were put into an "intrest only" loan. After 2 years we had to refinance and the broker put us in an adjustable rate mortgage. My husband had asked for a 30 year fixed but the broker insisted that this was a better deal. I wish we would have had time to do some research. STUPID I KNOW. Now we are at that point where the ARM has expired and our payments will go through the roof. The housing market has taken a dump and the apraiser can not find any comps to support the value we need to refinance.

I'm sorry and hope everything works out. I remember when the mortgages were being pushed; and to someone like me that isn't good with this kind of stuff, I'd probably be in the same boat..

The LINGO that is used in contracts/paperwork is specific to THAT industry, so how is a typical person supposed to be versed in every jargon? It's done porposely, so you as the consumer end up paying for everything & the implication is that it's you're fault because you are too stupid to understand their underwriting. Well, how about if we have laws in place to make the LANGUAGE SIMPLE, understood by everybody, not just THE INDUSTRY? Yeah, yeah sure, get a lawyer. Well, not everyone is well off to afford attorney fees.
    Many times, people get in by the skin of their teeth. Every dollar counts. Nothing against attornies, but why do the contracts need to be written so that only a select few understand? Is that again to allow certain people (most of the politicians are attorneys!) more power over the "broke consumer? They should make it understandable for a typical person with a High School education. Period. There is no need for fancy jargon unless you are trying to hide something.

Well put.

I wish people would wake up to the Healthcare problem also & not think that the governament will protect us. Aside from the mortgage costs, healthcare is a big expense issue. EVERYBODY is thinking it won't be them. Politicians & the Insurance Lobbyists are lying to us about Universal healthcare. They want us to stay away from it because the Insurance Industry would not make any money.
    I have relatives in France. They have Universal healthcare Their healthcare is AWESOME. When I told them what our politicians are telling us they couldn't believe that Americans were so stupid to believe politicians & the Insurance Industry & that we don't check into the real Universal coverage facts. The French have access to every modern test etc in a quick manner...

Don't get me started about health care. Last year after spinal surgery my prescription insurance cut me off. I was paying 100% for meds I needed to heal. I tried to appeal, they said no. I signed up for medicare part B.. wouldn't you know it, this year with having 2 different prescription insurances I was again cut off in October. My meds are $800 minimum per month. Nice, especially with my hubby out of work since late October.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok maybe I can give back here. I am a resource coordinator for elderly and disabled folks. I also recently got my insurance license because I was tired of seeing people getting ripped off. Roselvr, you probably fall into the "doughnut hole" in your RX coverage, meaning you went over your $2,510.00 pr yr, they will not pick up coverage again until you get to the Catastrophic Coverage level which is $4,050.00 pr yr out of pocket. There are programs available to assist you through that doughnut hole with the RX manufactures. Many times you can get your meds FREE or at a reduced rate if you qualify, your Husband being unemployed I am sure you do. I can help you. E mail me at lvlice@aol.com

• chrisdoc
    16 years ago

It sounds like you don't have any equity in "your house". What is the difference between what you owe and what the house is worth? $25K? $50K? $75K? Make sure you use really recent comps for this.

Think about this, if you walked away from your house you could theoretically buy the same house for $50K (or whatever your negative equity is) less, Why don't you just stop making payments? It would ruin your credit and you probably couldn't buy another house right away but it would save you the amount of negative equity you have. Good credit is important but is it worth $50K?

By the way, this is the real reason the gov't came out w/ their program to help people stay in their houses. It really doesn't help someone to stay in a house where they owe more money than the house is worth but if they get forclosed on the mortgage owners will take huge losses because they will be out the difference between what you owe and what the house is worth. The gov't bailout is for mortgage holders not home owners.

• summerskye
    16 years ago

"Think about this, if you walked away from your house you could theoretically buy the same house for $50K (or whatever your negative equity is) less, Why don't you just stop making payments? It would ruin your credit and you probably couldn't buy another house right away but it would save you the amount of negative equity you have. Good credit is important but is it worth $50K?"

"By the way, this is the real reason the gov't came out w/ their program to help people stay in their houses. It really doesn't help someone to stay in a house where they owe more money than the house is worth but if they get forclosed on the mortgage owners will take huge losses because they will be out the difference between what you owe and what the house is worth. The gov't bailout is for mortgage holders not home owners."

I thought that if one did this,the bank could then sell the house cheap to unload it, then could come after foreclosed-on owner for the difference between what was owed and what it was sold for? Am I not understanding the process correctly? My mom walked away from a house she owned once, but she won't talk about it so I don't know what else happened.
    I don't see a problem with staying in a house when you owe more than it is worth. You are still getting a place to live. We owe more on the house we are trying to sell than what it is worth now, so if we hadn't had to move out of state we would still be living with it. Some people on the street are in the same boat- they bought a year ago for a similar price when the homes were new, but the value isn't a problem for them right now because they don't need to move.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am not concerned about owing more than the house is worth at the moment, it will eventually catch up again. We happen to be particularly attached to this place, it is very unique and we could not begin to touch one that has all the features this one does. This is not like a house in the city where you can find a similar one a few blocks away for a better price.This is a walk out ranch that has wooden cathedral celings and beams, a huge hand laid brick fireplace in the middle of the house that goes throug the celing and serves as the only interior wall between the kitchen, dining, and living areas, a huge real stone wall downstairs with another fireplace, a second story sunporch that over looks the woods and a wrap around deck that starts at street level and wraps around to be a second story deck at the back of the house. Add to that the freestanding detached woodburner, the 3 tier fishpond with waterfalls that is landscaped to look like a natural stream , 15 acres of undisrupted woods with established Blue Bird nesting trail, native plants for a bird sancuary and a large Turkey and Deer population....we just don't want to leave! The problem is that the house is smaller and older than what they are pulling for comps, they do not take into account all the unique features, just the square footage, the age and the acres the home is on. A plain jane newer house that is bigger with more acres of just plain brush that has been logged, no fireplaces, may have one more bedroom, is selling for 15 to 25 thousand less than what we need. Anthing less than keeping our little dream home is NOT an option. I hope this gives you a better understanding of why I am so upset.
    Thanks again for all your help!

• mzdee
    16 years ago

Just sending you good thoughts and a prayer.

• clg7067
    16 years ago

Just watching a rerun of the live Suze Orman show and she gave advice to somebody in a situation similar to yours. If it comes down to a choice between paying the mortgage or credit cards, pay the mortgage. The credit card company will not repo your house and will probably only pester you. Hopefully, you'll hang in there and it wont happen. I got sucked into an adjustable in 2004. The new law won't help me so I've cut back like crazy so I can refi before the adjustment. Good thing for me is the adjustment will only be another $200, at the most. Doable, but I'd prefer to refi. Good luck!

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

If you just walk away from the house, you will lose ownership, of course, but you won't be walking away from your debt.

When the bank takes possession, it will sell the house for what can be gotten for it and that's almost certainly not going to be enough to cover what you still owe on the mortgage. The bank could attach any other assets you have or garnish your paycheck(s) until the entire mortgage amount is satisfied.

If the bank doesn't come after you for the balance of the debt, the IRS will consider the difference between what you borrowed and what the bank actually got returned to it to be income for you. You will have to pay income tax on it.

• berniek
    16 years ago

See what the IRS has to say about the tax consequences below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foreclosure Tax Relief Available to Many

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

"I am not concerned about owing more than the house is worth at the moment, it will eventually catch up again. We happen to be particularly attached to this place, it is very unique and we could not begin to touch one that has all the features this one does."

It sounds like a nice house. I'd want to hang onto it as well. Especially since its your home and not an investment. Do you have room for a boarder? That might help ease some of the pressure.

• finz2left
    16 years ago

If you really, really want to hang onto this particular house, you mentioned you had a high debt to income ratio. See if you can consolidate all your payments through a credit cousneling agency. They'll hurt your credit for sure! but, you can make your payments without fear of judgments etc. Head over to creditboards dot com they are awesome!

• iinsic
    16 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful house. I'd do what I could to keep it. Even beyond the gov't program noted above, I've anecdotally heard that lenders are more "ears open" these days in these situations. A bank does not want to own your house. It is to their advantage to keep the homeowner in their house. Work with a good lender and I would imagine they will put you in a program that will allow you to save your house.

Good luck.

• C Marlin
    16 years ago

If you just walk away from the house, you will lose ownership, of course, but you won't be walking away from your debt.
    When the bank takes possession, it will sell the house for what can be gotten for it and that's almost certainly not going to be enough to cover what you still owe on the mortgage. The bank could attach any other assets you have or garnish your paycheck(s) until the entire mortgage amount is satisfied.

This simply may not be correct. Many loans are non-recourse, meaning the bank has no recourse if you default. All purchase money mortgages in CA are non-recourse.

I know the OP doesn't want to use this option anyway.

• mfbenson
    16 years ago

"We were put into an "intrest only" loan. After 2 years we had to refinance and the broker put us in an adjustable rate mortgage."

By my estimate, you have hardly any money in this house. That means if you can find an investor who will buy your home and agree to rent it to you, you'll face a minimal financial loss. There are a lot of predators out there doing an elaborate fraud based on this scheme to people, but there are some honest and ethical ones too. You may even be able to get into a rent-to-own thing where you can buy your own home back again after a while (at a higher price than you sold it for, of course - there is no free lunch).

• qdognj
    16 years ago

terrible situation to be in.My 1 question is how much of an increase is anticipated with the rate increase? and what percenteg will the rate go to?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    16 years ago

If it were my property (and it sounds absolutely perfect) I would do whatever necessary to hang onto it, including eating Ramen noodles and riding a bike to work in an ice storm.

Is bankruptcy an option in a case like this?
    I know bankruptcy laws have changed but I didn't follow the changes...

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

mfbenson

With a non-recourse mortgage, the borrower will not have the problem of still owing the bank, but s/he is probably going to have a larger taxable gain on the house when the bank sells it and will owe the IRS even more than if it were a regular mortgage.

The point is that you can't just "walk away" free and clear from defaulting on a mortgage with the expectation that you won't owe anybody anything, as many people falsely believe.

• mfbenson
    16 years ago

"The point is that you can't just "walk away" free and clear from defaulting on a mortgage"

That's why I didn't suggest it. My idea is that they find someone who will buy it and rent it to them, with the expectation that the OP eventually buy it back (at a profit for the investor). Probably wouldn't work anyway - there's too much risk for both the OP and the investor, as it would be really easy for either party to screw the other.

• finz2left
    16 years ago

And, maybe you and DH should get second jobs for awhile. During Tax Season, most tax firms have lots of extra work -- part-time, on your schedule. They generally pay well. Check with H&R block and others!

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

Can you get a roommate to help with the mortgage?

Or let people park boats or recreational vehicles on your property for $50 a month?

Rent out your garage?

Log part of the property and sell the timber?

Subdivide off some acreage and sell it?

Take a computer class and update job skills to increase your pay?

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

mfbenson

My apologies. I now see that I should have directed my post to cmarlin20 who posted just above you.

These long threads do get confusing!

to Lisa, the OP:

Dow whatever you can to make the first few mortgage payments when your rate rests. You MUST keep current with your payments. If you need to borrow from relatives, do it. If you need to take cash advances from a credit card, do it. If you can sell items on eBAY, do it.

Contact you mortgage servicer ASAP and explain the situation. Ask them what they can do to put you in a new loan or freeze your existing rate per the Bush mortgage-freeze program. You should qualify for the program as long as you keep current with your payments.

Also, you may be able to get a new mortgage under the FHASecure program. Under it, the FHA insures loans to qualified homeowners who are facing resets in their ARMs. The FHA insurance gives the actual lender more latitude to make refinance loans to folks in your situation. Below is a link to the FHA website and a number to call. You would work with a local lender.

Above all, be activist about this! Don't just let things take their course. You seem like an activist sort to me, so I bet you can pull something off and continue to live in you home and enjoy your lovely property.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: FHASecure

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

Lisa

Here's another important link. This one is to the Home Ownership Preservation Foundation. You may remember that when Bush announced his mortgage freeze program, he gave out a phone number which proved to be slightly incorrect? The correct phone number (1-888 995 HOPE) connects you to this same organization.

You can get free counseling from HOPE either online or via the phone as you choose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Ownership Preservation Foundation

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info and links. I have been busting my rear this last week and have managed to sell enough insurance to cover January's obsene house payment. I contacted the Mortgage company and was told they were not "obligated" to participate in the freeze.
    They are sending me some paperwork to see if I "qualify" for the program???? I am still current in my payments what more do they need? To me it sounds like they want me to PROVE that I do not have the $$$ to make the higher payments, and want to make sure I am not just whining about it. I have not recieved the paperwork yet but my understanding is that they want me to list all of my monthly expences and income.....not quite sure what they want to see. Any thoughts? I will come back in and post what questions they are asking me.

• qdognj
    16 years ago

In their defense, they want to se you can't afford it..They want to be ceratin you can't cut some corners to afford it..They want to be certain you don't have the platinum Cable package,unlimited cell phone deal,new car payments, etc..they want to be certain you aren't living high on the hog, and then ask for help with your mortgage..And i agree with their requests..If you truly need help, i hope you get it..But if you haven't tightened the belt,finacially,you should do so 1st

• jy_md
    16 years ago

They are sending me some paperwork to see if I "qualify" for the program???? I am still current in my payments what more do they need? To me it sounds like they want me to PROVE that I do not have the $$$ to make the higher payments, and want to make sure I am not just whining about it.

I think that's exactly what they're doing. And it's what they should do IMO. If they just reduce or freeze the payments for whoever asks, then you can be sure people who don't need it will be asking for it.

Students in college and graduate school who apply for financial aid have to provide proof (? - only income but not expense) that neither they nor the parents can cover the full cost of tuition and fees. I think the same principle applies in this situation. Back in the '70s when anyone could get low-interest student loans, the upper middle class families were taking out these loans and then investing the money (because the interest rate was so low). I think the banks want to avoid this type of situation.

Good luck! Hopefully things will work out for you.

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

Congratulations for working hard to get the money to make your Jan payment without resorting to borrowing.

The program is voluntary on the part of the lender. The reason you will need to document that your income isn't high enough and your other expenses are too great for you to be able to pay the larger payment is that the lender would prefer to keep you on the hook. In other words, if you could possibly keep up the payments at the higher rate, then it's in their interest to keep things the way they are. They obviously would make much more money that way.

However, if your financial situation is truly such that you are clearly headed for default, then it's in their interest to freeze in the lower rate you've had up to now because they will still continue to make some money. But if you default, they will no doubt lose money -- probably a lot of money.

So your job is to convince them with dollars and cents figures that you simply cannot keep up payments at the higher rate.

• kitchenshock
    16 years ago

I doubt the financial institution that is servicing the mortgage has any financial interest in the mortgage. They're role is most likely to look out for the investor group that purchased the mortgage. I would imagine the banks have guidelines given to them by the various investor groups that bought the mortgages they wrote. If anything, the cost of processing the freeze requests is probably the biggest disincentive for the bank and their reason for not wanting to encourage people to apply.

• dutch_renter
    16 years ago

To the OP

There are two very important things that the you should ask yourself:

1. Do I expect my income to increase enough so i will be able to make payments with full amortization ?
    2. Do I expect the value of my house to increase substantially ? (realistically)

If you can honestly answer at least one of these questions positively, then you could try to keep the house. If only question number two can be answered positively, then keeping the house might be still be an option, but you will have to sell it at some point.

If not you will only be renting from the bank and be better of if you accept lesser housing conditions by either buying a cheaper house or renting.

Brgrds,
    Duth_renter

• tampacondo
    16 years ago

Check your ARM mortgage papers and see if there is a "Rate Conversion" clause. My ARM included this clause that allowed me to convert my adjustable rate mortgage into a fixed-rate (7% in my case) with the same bank in exchange for a small fee ($250). What they don't tell you when they sell you these ARM loans is that, yes you may be able to refinance in two years, but each time you do, you are hit with $5,000 - $6,000 in refinancing and loan fees.

• susana_2006
    16 years ago

Lisa: Around 1985, my community suffered a really bad economic situation -- biggest plant shut down. Hundreds of homes hit the market at the same time and the values dropped & no one was buying. My family was going through several problems at the time and we needed to move & couldn't sell the house at all, let alone for the amount of the mortgage. There were so many empty homes that even renting the house didn't work out for us. I went to the Bank and discussed options and explained our problem. The bank officer offered no solution whatsoever. Finally with the assistance of an attorney, we stopped making payments to get the bank's attention. The attorney negotiated the bank taking back the deed in lieu of foreclosure. We had to pay a some of money & I think it was around $4,000 (remember that this was a $27,000 mortgage secured in 1977). It was, for us, a relief to finally get out from under the stress of owning a home we couldn't sell, rent in a town we needed to leave. In hindsight, maybe we could have waited it out. But there were other problems and we needed to move ahead. Whether it hurt the credit, I have no idea. We rented homes for a few years, lived overseas for a few years & then bought property again, with no problems.
    So, I hope that your lender will help you -- my experience was that they would not in any way be helpful. Good luck
    Susan