SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dpyhz

What could be causing constant loose stool in my puppy?

dpyhz
15 years ago

This is a long one but I hope someone can offer some advice on my situation.

We have had our German Shepherd puppy home from the breeder for about 3 weeks. I noticed that her energy levels after eating the food that the breeder recommended were off the charts. I mean, going crazy, unable to be calmed, jumping, biting, bouncing! Bloat is a concern for this breed and this worried me. I began to research her food and discovered that she was being fed what a lot of independent sites rate as a 2 star food (out of 6 stars). In addition to her going crazy after she ate, she was also diagnosed with an ear yeast infection and a skin infection on her belly which she was given antibiotics for.

I assumed the food was causing the problem so after extensive research, choose Solid Gold WolfCub which is rated as a 5 star food, and is supposed to be great for allergies. Overall, a high quality food with no fillers or by-products.

I did the food change gradually as instructed, but she was still having loose stools. The vet gave us some pro-biotic powder to sprinkle on her food, but it seemed to be getting worse and worse. Eventually (this is now 7 days of loose stool) it was like water. I contacted the vet again who instructed us to stop the antibiotics (there was only 1 pill left at this stage anyway) and not feed her for 24 hours, then to start her for a few days on a particular low fat, highly digestible canned food by Royal Canin. I was to give her only of the can at a time, and then gradually increase the feeding amounts once her diarrhea stopped, incorporating her old food (which is now Solid Gold WolfCub) into this canned "prescription" food gradually, as you would with a food swap, until she is fully back on WolfCub again.

After the very first day of stopping the antibiotics and not feeding her, her stool was back to normal. After the first feeding of the canned Royal Canin food, things were still normal. Adding a little of the WolfCub back in, still normal.

Today is her first day off the canned food entirely and soft stool, borderline diarrhea is back! This poor puppy. It never seems to end for her. Now I am completely confused. Was it the antibiotics? The original food switch from the breederÂs food to the WolfCub? The change from the Royal Canin canned digestable food back to WolfCub? Or, is it simply WolfCub alone? Maybe it is an entirely different medical issue.

Should I just continue for a few more days on the WolfCub, now that there are no medications in her system? Maybe she just needs more time to adjust to the WolfCub. It is now more than 2 full weeks of having WolfCub, in some amount, in her system. Is this enough time?

Her behavior seems pretty normal as far as puppies go. She is high energy, happy, playful and puts anything she can find in her mouth! All the other puppy owners at Obedience say theirs do the same thing. Bugs, grass, rocks. If it is visible, she wants it in her mouth. I have to monitor this constantly. The only difference from the other puppies in her class is that she is the only poop eater. I mean, nothing can stop this dog from getting to it! She is relentless. I have to ensure I am right next to her when she does it, because if I do not grab her away from her poop, it is eaten immediately. That is a whole other issue I am trying to solve, but thought I would mention it in case it might relate to the main issue I am writing about. She rarely gets to eat the poop because we are there 95% of the time to ensure she doesnÂt eat it, but she does have an outdoor dog run to play in and there have been a couple of times that I have turned my backÂ..

I always clean it up immediately though.

Anyway, that is the history. Sorry for such a long post but I felt all the happenings were important to post. I do plan to take her to the vet yet again, but since it has only been today that the stool is loose again, I wanted to check with this forum for feedback on whether you feel it is simply a time issue, or if maybe it is the food itself.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments (7)