SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chucklover_gw

Low Platelet Count / Diharrea in lab puppy

ChuckLover
13 years ago

Hello - I'm new to this so sorry if this is too long, but just looking for any and all advise I can get.

We got a chocolate lab puppy from a very reputable breeder on Christmas eve last year. He was young, 6 weeks old, and yes now looking back I would never take another dog that young, but that's NOT the issue.

He was on a high quality dog food, a food that is for all life stages of a dog called American natural Premium from the moment we switched him off of his food from the breeder, when we brought him home. A week after being home he developed a bladder infection, which i'm told is common in labs, expecially his size and age with bacteria being picked up when he peed outside for the firs time. WE treated that right away and had no issues. About a month after bringing him home he started to have bouts with diharrea. After about 24 hours of diharrea i consulted my vet who told me to try the bland diet (chicken and rice) We did this for a few days and things seamed to tighten up but nothing close to normal. We then slowly tried to switch back to our regular food - with no luck after day one, so back to rice and chicken. AFter a good 5 days on rice and chicken with virtually no change we used ID dog food prescribed from our local vet. Chuck was put on probiotics and antibiotics to help him pass normal stool. He did great on this new concoction, until one day out of the blue he had liquid feces. Not diharrea, but a completely watery discharge. The next day vomiting started, only once, but was completely un digested food. So back to the vet we went. They changed his food to EN - a different brand of still teh compleley bland diet, put him back on antibiotics and sent home more probiotics. Also gave him a second woming dosage, and a shot to stop the vomiting. He did great for two days on the new food, then vomited twice again. Refused to eat either type of food after he vomited. So back to the vet again, another shot, this time I insisted they take blood work, as well as an x- ray (The time laps over this is Feb 1 to present day (April 4th) The x ray came back normal, showing no sign of intestinal damage, or blockage. Colon looked normal, stomach was full. The vet reccomended we switch to a high fiber diet - he is now on a diabetic from of proscriptives dog food. He had a stool test taken which showed he tested positive for giardia - which he had been tested for a week prior, but not the sensetive sent out test. His blood work was all normal but his platlet count was 125,000. So the next day we re tested his blood, which came back better at 140,000 but still in the danger zone. He goes back in on Wed to re-test his platelet count yet again. He has been vaccinated, and we opted to give him a lyme vaccine as that can be a common problem in our area (lake area of southeastern WI)

After switching to the high fiber diet he had normal, amazing feces, trust me after 2 months of issues with feces i have never been so happy to see dog poo! He had great stool for two days, and now last night we are back to diharrea. He has never had a bite of people food, nor has he had a treat in two months. I have stuck to everything the vet has said to fix this, and we dont's eam to be getting anywhere. The most frustrating part is that he is happy, when we go to the vet he drags me around, he has a normal amount of energy. I have made sure he is getting enough water with all of the issues, and check his gums regularly. WE have tried smaller more frequent feedings, 6-8 times a day as to not fill his stomach.

Is it normal that his stool would be solid for two days then go right back to what it was?

What can exactly cause a low platelet count in dogs, i've read about thrombocytopenia, but he shows absolutley no symptoms of that, has never had blood in his urine or stool, nor has blood in eyes or any brusing?

Can this long of a dose on antibiotics affect how his immune system will be later in life?

Anyone had similar issues with their puppies and food? We have tried 5-8 different brands now, all with different qualities, i guess the next step is hypoalergenic protien free dog food.

If you took the time to read this I really appreciate it, i'm at a loss lately. I enjoy my vet, she's done a great job with him, but am getting to an extremely frustrated point. I know that diharrea in puppies can be extremely severe, so how do we stop it?

Any advice at all would be helpfull! Thanks!

Comments (6)